Participate in the July 2019 Member Challenge – Summer Blockbusters!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the July 2019 Member Challenge – Summer Blockbusters!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    becky7777
    Participant

Yellowrosecottage – Isn’t it a weird feeling when you notice that suddenly you can hear things you know you couldn’t before? Congratulations though! A trip to the luthier should fix up your ukulele. Maybe you just need new strings? I have no clue if old strings can cause intonation issues…

Nice work on JP!

lildevil
    Participant

I am a Premium member.

To paraphrase Stephen King, “short don’t mean easy.” Quick to memorize, but I was challenged adapting to 3-finger strum when my hand and brain want to do 4. Then there’s the three STRING strum. Playing cleanly. But the biggest challenge of all was, of course, getting it up to speed. I take it back. The biggest challenge is ALWAYS getting a decent recording. Not real clean, but didn’t want to push my luck. Andrew will likely tell me to slow down, but where’s the challenge in that??

lildevil
    Participant

I am a Premium member.

To paraphrase Stephen King, “short don’t mean easy.” Challenges for me included adapting to 3-finger strumming, 3 STRING strumming, and especially getting up to speed – which I was determined to do. As always, biggest challenge was getting a decent recording. Have opted not to push my luck. Andrew will likely tell me to slow down…

andracass
    Participant

Here is my Sponge Bob. I played it for another challenge time ago, but now I think I played it better.

Andrew
    Keymaster

allieclaire1 – Check out these 2 lessons as well 🙂

Choosing the Correct Fingering when Transitioning Between Chords

Increasing Left Hand Reach

hotmilktea – Well done!

bklynsoul – Great job on the fade out ending, very natural sounding! So you actually left the feedback I would have suggested. When you practice with a metronome, target the areas that are tricky – like the walk up at the end of bar 3 into 4 and the first hit of bar 6 (the strum). Other than that, keep rocking it was awesome!

yellowrosecottag – Great job! I think your focus for practicing should be on developing one section at a time and playing the section with a nice steady, flowing tempo. So for this piece, the first phrase is bars 1 through 4 (not playing beat 4). The second phrase is: beat 4 in bar 4 to bar 8 (again, not playing beat 4).

When you get comfortable with that, put it together and you’ve got the entire A melody. 🙂

lildevil – Actually I’d say the contrary – your timing was excellent! If you’ve got that in check, then I always recommend folks push themselves to help increase speed. BUT – and it’s a big but – timing and clean playing is most important. If these two areas are not in check, slow it down. But in your case, they are. Excellent work!

andracass – Great job, MT! I’d recommend focusing on timing. This song is written in two bar phrases, so that’s what I would focus on. Master timing for:

Bars 1-2
    3-4
    Then do 1-4

Bars 5-6
    7-8
    Then do 5-8

Then 1-8

Breaking it into sections is the best way to practice.

erino7

This song is definitely one of my new favorites to play. I know this recording isn’t perfect. I hit an extra note at one point, some is not completely clear, and my timing isn’t quite the same the whole way through… I don’t have any more time to get it better before the end of the month so this is it. 😄 I also used different fingers that were more comfortable for me for some things than showed in the tutorial.

nthibode

I’m jumping on the Star Wars bandwagon! A fun and challenging song. And as with most Rock Class 101 arrangements I learned something new; this time it was the triplet strum.

Awesome job everyone and good luck!

surfnrz

nthibode that was fabulous! What an incredible smoothness and feel to your playing! Bravo!

gabrielrabaioli
    Participant

My entry for the contest \/

edward
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Once again giving this my best shot. I get in front of the microphone and it turns to ______. I had fun and love playing this beautiful song. Thanks Matt. Fun is what its all about. We can’t all be Jake Shimabukuro.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by edward. Reason: https://soundcloud.com/uked/jurassic-park-theme
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by edward.
    nthibode

Thanks @surfnrz! I enjoy the work it takes to get there 🙂

Thank you Andrew! I’m still working on it. I am trying to memorise the piece which forces me to break it up into natural phrases.
    Also after reviewing my video I realised how disjointed it sounded so I am working on getting some sustain between strumming. It is a lovely piece that should rely on some resonance and not sound choppy.

jinajupiter
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Yihaaa, a one-taker! Or maybe too lazy to record again. It’s was quite confusing to me to play the high G string with my thumb. So a good brain trainer! And I had to tune the C string a bit too low because if not the e-note would sound too high on the C-string. So I compromised here. I ordered this mango version of the ukulele I already had, but I am disappointed with the sound, at least for what I paid for it, so I will send it back. To make the recording more spacey I added a bit Chorus and Reverb on my little Crate-amp. The Sellotape (Scotch) strum at the beginning is fun to do with this effect. Wish I could afford to grow nails like Hotmilktea, so many nice performances here!

becky7777
    Participant

Jina-

Crate!!!! 💖💖💖💖💖 I can’t think of a more fitting amp to play on a song set to the 80’s.

Can you snap a picture? (Or give me a model# I can search to look at which one you got?) I’d bug you in a pm but I have no clue how long rockclass will be minus messaging.

I had the cheapest one during my brief 2 month(?) stint with guitar. I’d love to get one again just for the sake of it…. Maybe a tube version like all the “cool people had” in bands, in high school. 😂 If they don’t cost a king’s fortune these days. lol!

Nice work on Stranger Things btw. 😁👍 I’m still super slow because it has more movement the way I chose to do it for low G. (Best way I could figure out how to play it though, so far, at least.)

jinajupiter
    Participant

Really cool amp indeed with a rechargeable battery. So I can go busking one day with the uke when I get good enough for street audience ha ha. It’s about 10 years old, cracking pot meters and one knob is missing. 30 Watt.
    Looking forward to your low G version Becky. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.