Participate in the July 2019 Member Challenge – Summer Blockbusters!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the July 2019 Member Challenge – Summer Blockbusters!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    miztaken
    Participant

Hi Everyone!
    Here is my Jurassic Park attempt, two weeks practice, first thumb piece.
    I have sworn that I hate thumb style because I cannot get past clunky and awkward, but maybe with this piece I may get “there” some day, and perhaps enjoy some thumb style playing.
    It is slow @ 60 bpm, far from Matt’s delicate playing, and of course I can do better (sometimes) when the camera is not recording. But this is an example of average playing, bum notes and all.

I am a PREMIUM MEMBER.

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi @miztaken,

You pointed this out yourself a while ago, but your recording device does something very strange to the sustain of the uke. I KNOW that moon bird should have decent sustain and I KNOW it’s not your playing because there should at least be sustain on the open strings. It’s like your camera is trying to eliminate ambient noise and that’s what it thinks the sustain is. Very strange.

miztaken
    Participant

@robinboyd – I know, I recorded straight to the laptop, no microphone.
    It is a weird sound, almost dead recorded this way.
    I shall try the microphone and see if it is better – I was just being lazy. 🙁
    I wonder too, my hand is in front of the sound hole. So does this affect what the laptop picks up?!?!

robinboyd
    Participant

@miztaken – The hand probably has some effect but I don’t think that is the cause. It sounds like whatever software you are using is artificially removing the sustain. If that is the case, using a different microphone probably won’t help. You would need to tweak the settings of whatever software you are using.

miztaken
    Participant

New recording… a bit better sounding, but not my playing ;D
    I removed the other recording from youtube – so link is not valid.
    I am a PREMIUM MEMBER.

gaberdude
    Participant

@miztaken it sounds so sweet on the Moonbird…

miztaken
    Participant

Thanks @gaberdude – it is a beautiful instrument.
    And that Bb sounds so much better at other times (that is my sticky point at present, currently 25% accuracy rate).

gaberdude
    Participant

@miztaken. The Bb is my favorite chord ;). Is it tenor or concert size?

noemie
    Participant

Hello ! I play Star Wars :

miztaken
    Participant

Hmm… lost my post.

@gaberdude
    it is a concert length, with the wider “jazz” neck.
    A little wide for my fingers and current ability, so I just need to practice the Gmaj – C – B – C – Bb sequence more…

Gaby
    Participant

@miztaken: the sustain in the second recording is much better! I would say it was worth the reupload 🙂
    I noticed in your first Video that you were whispering something. Numbers maybe? May i ask why that is? I suppose its to help you play/remembering. I just think its impressive if you are remembering all the numbers from the tab..?

@noemie
    : i really like your Ukulele! Really unique fretmarkers 🙂

ukandoit

Bien joué Noémie, on est très peu à jouer SW dont deux français, la classe.

noemie
    Participant

Merci ukandoit^^ bien joué aussi !

donovan

I am a Premium Member
    Sponge Bob Square Pants
    Hi everyone! 😃🎉
    It’s my favorite cartoon, and I also did Stranger Things last week because it’s my favorite Netflix show so it was hard to decide which to learn first! I’m not really intermediate yet, but I worked really hard all week on this which was a good bit harder than Stranger Things!!!
    I appreciate the critique from last week and found a seat where my arms have more room. That’s my sister Dylan giving directions…she’s 6 and I’m 9. I made this video myself with her and we borrowed everything. I hope you like how we did it. I’m open to helpful suggestions since I’m still very new but motivated to get pretty good.
    Sponge Bob Square Pants

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by donovan.
    jinajupiter
    Participant

Wow Donovan you are learning fast!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.