June 1, 2019 at 1:50 pm #27839
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #27! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a Oha Tenor Ukulele! This model is brand new for 2019 and retails at $795 USD.
I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 1,000 members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 Rock Class 101, “Beach Themed”, Arrangements:
1) “Better Together” by Jack Johnson – This arrangement is perfect for those of you that strum and sing, but are ready to dive into fingerpicking and chucking. * Taught in its Entirety for FREE!
2) “Tonight You Belong to Me” – An adorable duet that’s best remembered from the motion picture, “The Jerk”, starring Steve Martin.
3) “Wipe Out” by The Surfaris – A song which needs no introduction! Our arrangement emphasizes two iconic aspects of this tune: the memorable guitar hook and drum beat!
4) “Aloha ‘Oe” by Queen Liliʻuokalani – A traditional Hawaiian song consisting of only 3 chords and a beautiful melody.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner to Intermediate Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “Better Together” (* You MUST SING AND PLAY to receive an entry into the giveaway!) OR “Tonight You Belong to Me” (* You MUST PLAY the Kazoo solo which we transcribed for ukulele and taught in the Part 2 Lesson to receive an entry into the giveaway!)
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Wipe Out” OR “Aloha ‘Oe”
3. Participation Goal: 75 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 “Beach Themed” Songs anytime between Saturday, June 1st till Sunday, June 30th, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our April Challenge: Love Song Themed!
Second Chance: Participate in our May Challenge: Beatles Themed!
Third Chance: Participate in our June Challenge: Beach Themed!
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On July 4th, at 12 PM EST, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above. (check your local time zone)
Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize. You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of June and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
1) $795 Grand Prize! Includes:
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED BY HONOKA!
Select Solid Koa Top
Solid Mahogany Back and Sides
Walnut Finger-Board and Bridge
UV Natural Finish
Made in Hawaii, USA
Black Poplar Position Markers and Logo
Other Features: Includes a black hard foam case
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!June 1, 2019 at 2:02 pm #27840
Drew, I bet you a million that you KNOW what I’m going to learn. Like I said on your Facebook post yesterday, it’s like opening a much anticipated Christmas present.
BTW, Did Katie swallow that mouth kazoo or did she take it out after the video ended? I wanted to see what a mouth kazoo was.
June 1, 2019 at 2:32 pm #27842
- This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by rickeymike.
That’s too funny! Yesterday I decided I would learn Wipe Out, it was a fun tune, and it would help me in different areas! I decided I would work on 2 songs, one for the challenge and another because I’ve been wanting to learn it for a while! I’ll definitely be working in Wipe Out! 😂June 1, 2019 at 2:42 pm #27843
I think Wipe Out might be my pick. I’ve tried it before and it’s harder than It’s level suggests, at last to me, but now I have the extra motivation and accountability. Let’s see if I can make something of it!June 1, 2019 at 3:18 pm #27844
Hi Andrew,looking forward to getting into Tonight You Belong To Me – it will be the most challenging piece I have tackled.
FYI: there’s a typo in ground rule #1 in that it states Beatles not Beach songs.
All my best,June 1, 2019 at 3:23 pm #27845June 1, 2019 at 3:41 pm #27846
That sounds great! Since I’ve just recently finished Johnny B. Goode, I think I might find it easier! 😀June 1, 2019 at 6:36 pm #27852
After looking over the June challenges I dont think me and/or my “poo-kalele” can handle any of them. I’m in big trouble. 😀June 1, 2019 at 7:29 pm #27853
Oh no, my partner is vetoing Wipe Out. He’s such a good sport with me playing poorly all the time, over and over and over again, that I give him the right to veto songs he really can’t stand and here we are with Wipe Out. It’s nothing against the arrangement, it’s the song.
Back to the selection stage.June 1, 2019 at 9:28 pm #27855
lol, @lisadmh — my partner (and kids!) vetoed Tonight You Belong to Me because of the kazoo part. I think I’ll be doing Wipe Out!June 1, 2019 at 10:35 pm #27859
I might try more than one. Great choices this month!June 2, 2019 at 12:12 am #27860
Well, I’ve already started learning Better Together, so I suppose that’s the one I’ll be doing.
Tiffany was really hoping Jurassic Park would be an option this month, but might try Tonight You Belong to Me even though she isn’t keen on that Kazoo part.
Edit: Tiffany says if she plays the “beginner version” of the outro, then Wipeout looks perfectly achievable. The only really tricky bit is the percussion.
June 2, 2019 at 4:00 am #27865
- This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by robinboyd.
Great options! And I have a hard time deciding for which one to go…
I put Wipeout on my bucket list just a few days ago. 😀 There’s a lot I could learn trough this piece – and I presume it’s achievable, if done with an easier ending. Although I’ll probably not get it up to the intended speed.
The other option for me would be Tonight You Belong to Me – and not just played but sung as a duet with my wife. 😉 She already agreed she’d be in. I just have to wrap my head around playing and singing at the same time. And actually, for me this piece feels harder to play than Wipeout at the first glance…
I guess I’ll just try both and see where I make to enough progress to submit something. 😉June 2, 2019 at 7:23 am #27866
Goal for June:
“Tonight You Belong…” or “Better Together” are not options unless Cocker-Spaniel, Maddie, is willing to do the mouth kazoo. Trust me, you would not wish me to sing!
As a drummer of days gone by, will give “Wipe Out” a try but think is way beyond my level of playing.
That leaves “Aloha Oe” as a possible option.
Thank you, Andrew, for great challenges. Thanks for taking us to the limit! We’ll see.June 2, 2019 at 7:42 am #27867
Can I just ask if it matters if the fingering has to be the same for the pieces? I find playing slight variations of the chord fingering makes transitions easier. I am not talking about positions up the neck.
And if i have a dreadful voice does that count against me?!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.