June 1, 2022 at 1:59 pm #52233
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #63! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an INCREDIBLE Kanile’a 2021 Platinum Ukulele! This tenor sized model is crafted with Master Grade Koa wood and retails for $6,000 USD.
I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 3,300+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. And I offer feedback on ALL submissions! 🙂
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 6 RC101 Lessons:
1) Here Comes the Bride * – Our fingerstyle take includes the main melody plus an additional section from the composition.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
2) Nessun Dorma * – Learn a famous aria from Giacomo Puccini’s opera, Turandot. We’ve arranged this piece as a duet intended for vocal accompaniment.
Note: Singing or performing with the Backing Track is OPTIONAL.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
3) March of the Toreadors – One of the most famous arias from the opera, Carmen. The melody can be described as cheerful, bold, and celebratory as it’s a reflection of the lyric which praises the bullfighter (toreador).
Note: Requires Low G ukulele. Premium members get early access to this lesson. It will be released publicly on Friday, April 3rd.
4) Habanera – One of the most famous arias from the opera, Carmen. This enchanting melody builds upon dynamics, chromatic runs, and key changes to create an everlasting piece.
5) La Donna è mobile – In this lesson, you’ll learn one of the most famous and incredibly catchy canzone’s [Italian for song] from Verdi’s opera, Rigoletto.
6) In The Hall Of The Mountain King – An iconic melody arranged as a harmonized duet suitable for the seasoned beginner.
Note: You must perform the melody. Performing with the Backing Track is OPTIONAL.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Don’t worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “In The Hall Of The Mountain King”
2. Intermediate Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Don’t worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “Here Comes the Bride” OR “Nessun Dorma”
3. Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Habanera”, “La Donna è mobile”, OR “March of the Toreadors”
4. Participation Goal: 100 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 6 RC101 pieces anytime between Wednesday, June 1st till Thursday, June 30th, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 6 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our April Challenge: Classical Songs!
Second Chance: Participate in our May Challenge: Beatles Songs!
Third Chance: Participate in our June Challenge: A Night at the Opera!
Fourth Chance: Participate in our October Challenge.
Fifth Chance: Participate in our November Challenge.
Sixth Chance: Participate in our December Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries.
On July 4th at 12pm EST, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will BE AWARDED 10 EXTRA ENTRIES. This event will mark the end of our Spring Challenges (April, May, June).
We will break for July, August, and September. Entries for the prize will resume for our Fall Challenges (October, November, December).
On Christmas Eve (December 24th at 12 PM EST), I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele!
To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 12 entries for the prize.
You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of June and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
Note: Previous Kanile’a winners are more than welcome to participate, but will not receive an entry for the prize.
1) $6,000 Grand Prize! Includes:
OUR 6 PREVIOUS KANILE’A WINNERS! WILL YOU BE NEXT?
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED!
LEARN MORE ABOUT HOW THIS UKULELE WAS CRAFTED
Kanile’a Original, TRU-Relief Tenor Body
Master Grade Front, Back, and Sides
TRU Bracing V3 Mass Reduction Interior
Magnetic Back Access Panel
Ebony Radiused Fingerboard, Ebony Bridge, and Ebony Head Plate
Platinum Crown Slotted Headstock
Gotoh Stealth Gold Tuners with Kanile’a Knobs
Ebony Bridge Pins
NuBone Nut and Saddle
Gloss Body, Silk Neck Finish
Ebony Side Position Markers
Curly Koa Headplate Inlay
Curly Koa Leaf Position Markers Inlay on Fingerboard in Koa
Curly Koa Leaf Inlay on the Bridge
Koa Leaf Sound Hole with Curly Maple Trim
Koa Leaf Side Sound Port with Maple Trim
Curly Maple Front and Back Binding
Curly Maple Fretboard Binding
Curly Maple Head-Stock Binding
Curly Maple Back Strip
Curly Maple Tail Strip
Curly Maple Bevel
Curly Maple Heel Cap
Worth Clear Strings with Wound Low G
Other Features: Includes a hard case by Stagg
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!June 1, 2022 at 5:21 pm #52241sir_anzalotParticipant
I’m torn between song choices yet again. Habanera is a great tune and I really gravitate towards that one musically… but I also did get engaged a few weeks ago so Chris’ arrangement of ‘Here comes the Bride’ is a very strong contender!June 1, 2022 at 5:35 pm #52243leb397Participant
Congratulations on engagement. Anxious to hear it. I too am torn. Not “excited” about a couple but need to start practicing asap!
Good luck everyone. Still want to learn other Beatles songs. Not enough time in my day 😩June 2, 2022 at 10:42 am #52247rickeymikeParticipant
Dilemma: I have two concerts, one with low G. The low G has 18 frets. The other only has 17 frets. Mountain King needs an 18th fret but requires regular tuning.
June 2, 2022 at 2:39 pm #52256
- This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by rickeymike.
Rickey, use the low G but move the Open G string note to the second string, 3rd fret. That should solve the dilemma 🙂June 2, 2022 at 3:07 pm #52258rickeymikeParticipant
Thanks, Andrew. I thought of that and fingered it in my head. Shouldn’t interfere with fingering at all.June 2, 2022 at 9:11 pm #52274uku241Participant
Andrew, I have a question:
I am a premium member and my son (dottiectrain) is a regular member. If we learn the duet together and submit the same video, will it count towards our respective accounts?June 3, 2022 at 3:04 pm #52279June 6, 2022 at 1:40 pm #52290deadbuggyParticipant
I’m a Premium Member who really can’t believe I’m playing classical music on the uke! Many thanks for this fun lesson. A few brain farts but I loved learning this piece.June 6, 2022 at 2:19 pm #52291uku_onParticipant
I am a P-Member. I actually forgot about this website for about a year or so. Uh oops. Here is an initial take of In the hall of the mountain king. I may try to clean it up or add in the background.
June 6, 2022 at 3:18 pm #52292
@deadbuggy – Great job on this tune, Sara! There’s a few bars where the timing could be strengthened / a little more defined. To work on this, practice playing with Steven in the tab player.
There is one thing I want you to try: If you listen to him playing the A melody the first time, it’s soft and light. When it repeats, he ups the dynamics and strengthens it. Play around with that idea 🙂
@uku_on – Welcome back, Caleb! Performance sounded great! 🙂June 7, 2022 at 7:39 am #52299deadbuggyParticipant
Thanks, Andrew!June 8, 2022 at 8:02 pm #52310maryjanewParticipant
I think I am opting for “The Hall of the Mountain King” as well. the only ukulele I have with 18 frets, is also the only ukulele I have with a High G string. It is a “no name” solid wood travel tenor (slim body), made in China. It sounds pretty good but the intonation up the neck is far Inferior to the Uke that I would rather use— my new D-Ho Romero, splalted mango Tiny Tenor (low G), but it only has 17 frets.
I’m NOT complaining, mind you! I’m blessed to have more than two ukuleles!June 9, 2022 at 4:59 pm #52313katazumiriParticipant
So sweet! “In The Hall Of The Mountain King” as a miniature in 20 bars. And even as a duo 🙂
Only thing I miss is outro. I added 8 bars.
Here is the result:
Have a nice day!
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBERJune 9, 2022 at 5:07 pm #52314rafaelaParticipant
I am a PREMIUM MEMBER.
this month I went for the song “Nessun Dorma” – I really loved how calming and soothing the arpeggios sound in combination with the beautiful melody (although some parts weren’t that calming to play haha, as you may notice I sometimes struggled with the quick chord changes, plus in the middle I managed to almost completely slide off the fretboard, oops)!
I might try to upload “March Of The Toreadors” this month as well since I am currently learning that, but we’ll see if I can finish it in time 🙂
Thanks so much for listening!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.