Participate in the June 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a Ukulele

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a Ukulele

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    puppylovesuke
    Participant

In the Hall of the mountain King

I reckon when you get higher up on the neck is when you really start to tell the difference between my uke that retails for $60 USD and one that lists for two extra zeros 😉

omaon4
    Participant

I am a premium member Omaon4

ukukelley1
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

puppylovesuke
    Participant

Oops…premium member

ukukelley1
    Participant

Hi Andrew — Major technical difficulties. I started trying to post in time ahead of the deadline — but couldn’t get my computer to cooperate. Understand if you can’t count my entries.
    Sheryl

jbmills07
    Participant

I’m a premium member
    Forgot to upload so I might have missed the timer! Lol

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 9.

@lbilkie

– I thought you did a great job and I love seeing when you guys challenge yourselves! So I noticed that your tempo was a little bit too fast for comfort. So my first suggestion would be to slow it down and target the bars that were challenging, specifically 19 through 23. Lots of legato technique in these measures, which make them very challenging to play at the same speed as the previous bars.

So that’s an area that you want to focus more so on. But if we think of it as a whole or in larger sections, try to play along with a metronome. We want to keep this tune nice and steady, like a march feel.

@janaq1
    – You are a great player! Incredible job with note clarity – which is not easy to do with so much movement between chords! Feel was great throughout too.

And that intro, let’s call it a fermata 🙂

@coffeemug
    – Great job and love the story you shared on it! One tip I’ve shared with a couple members this month is to keep your fingers planted as you build chords. For example, the E chord in bar 1. You’re lifting up after each note. This cuts the sustain.

Double check that part in the lesson because I remember talking about tips for playing this tricky section.

I’d also recommend memorizing the piece. It sounds like you’re close, but at the same time you’re focusing a lot on reading it over performing it. So it comes across like you’re going through the motions. Which was the same thing Marisa did in her performance which I talked about in this lesson.

@alysun1
    – Great job! You’ve got a great base established, keep practicing and you’ll have it nice and smooth 🙂

@dividedsky
    – Fantastic duet! This song also took me way too many takes, lol.

@docsiphon
    – Left and right hand form looks great. Note clarity is great. Timing is great. This is very impressive for 3 months. Whatever you’re doing, keep it up!

P.S. Don’t forget to add the Premium Member tag for K challenges 🙂

@annemarie
    – Excellent performance with great feel throughout! This is one of the strongest performances I’ve heard from you. It was really good! The only thing I’d suggest working on is bringing the measures that had legato up to speed (so bars 19 – 23 and the ones in the final melody). Keep up the excellent work!

@mademoiselleannette
    – Beautiful playing! My only suggestion is to memorize it which should help get some of those trickier transitions a little smoother.

@nelsonlin2021
    – Way to go, Nelson! I love seeing you guys challenge yourselves! Did you get a chance to check out this lesson for vibrato technique? And this one for tapped harmonics?

They will break down the mechanics behind performing each of them. Your vibrato is a little bit too forced and the tap needs to be a quick on / off – like swatting those darn mosquitoes lol.

Go through those lessons and email me a follow up video. I’d like to see how you’re doing with it.

So about the populele. I did a review on it and spent quite a bit of time with it. I don’t like it. And that comes across in my article and video, although I wasn’t as direct as I’m being right now.

I’d recommend purchasing an acoustic ukulele. Something about the fretboard with the populele is off. It just doesn’t feel natural on your fingertips. Like your finger tip oils naturally sink into a wooded fretboard, they don’t with the plastic populele.

@mkstewart67
    – Bravo! Great feel and energy throughout! Couple little pauses here and there, but we’ll chalk that up to nerves. Which we all get! It was great overall, keep up the excellent work!

@sarahd
    – Oh no! I hope you feel better soon. On a positive, it was a lovely take and I need to watch that performance on YouTube 🙂

robinboyd
    Participant

@uku241 & @dottiectrain – 戦闘機だったかどうかわからない but I love the bilingual banter.

maryjanew
    Participant

I also was trying to post close to the deadline but my computer and your website were not cooperating!!! I tried to “Submit” like 10 times. and I tried to just send a message and nothing went through. I was logged in and I have internet service.
    This is hours later and something finally went through, so I am writing more.
    Andrew, Will you see if anything got caught in the spam filter, please?

I am A Premium member
    I will try to upload my video again since this message went through. It is not good since I only had a few days to work on this song. I Did manage to memorize it my not up to full speed. As always, my fingers freak out when the recording starts!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by maryjanew.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by maryjanew.
    dianna
    Participant

Thanks Andrew for your critique…..I have begun being more mindful of thumb position,, that said, the moment I’m not, it slips right back into the old position.🤪 It will take a bit of work to break this old habit. Another worthy challenge!

pysanky
    Participant

Oh wow, thanks so much @andrew, I am really enjoying my uke journey so far and these monthly challenges are a blast! I had done that clip last week but was hoping to get a better recording so I held off submitting. I think we are always our worst critics!

sir_anzalot
    Participant

Thanks @Andrew that means a lot!
    But I think someone else is probably going to play it at my wedding 😀

Andrew
    Keymaster

@puppylovesuke – Excellent performance!

@omaon4
    – Excellent start, Helga! As you continue to practice, I’d work on 4 bars at a time. Memorize them and focus on keeping the timing steady. When you feel comfortable, work on the next 4 then piece the 8 together. Breaking the song into little chunks is the best way to learn.

@ukukelley1
    , @jbmills07, @maryjanew – Great playing all around! Unfortunately, y’all missed the deadline for receiving an entry for the prize for this month. I tried to give everyone a friendly reminder yesterday. But the good news is, there’s 3 more chances to win: October, November, and December.

MJ, unfortunately I don’t see a pending or caught in the spam filter post from earlier for you.

nelsonlin2021
    Participant

Andrew – Thanks for the feedback and the links to the lessons. I will let you know my progress.

Re Populele, I agree with what you said in the review. Populele is my first uke (a surprise present) and while I had fun initially learning to play it via their App, I quickly outgrew its learning platform for the same reasons you mentioned in your review. Since then I have always wondered what an acoustic uke feels and sounds like in my hands lol

My goal was to reward myself a new uke after completing 10 consecutive monthly challenge (completed 7 so far). After seeing your feedback, I might reward myself one sooner 🙂

maryjanew
    Participant

@Andrew – thanks for looking. I have NO idea why my submissions weren’t going through.
    I’m very frustrated with the computer! The main thing that took me too close to the final minutes, was my microphone! for some reason my Mic or the interface was not working so I had to record AGAIN with the laptop mic. That is why I was so stressed in that recording. And then it wouldn’t “Submit”. I kept trying to “submit” at least 10 times.
    Oh well, so I don’t get these entries. At least I have some entries from April and May, I think!

BTW, I worked all day yesterday, so I only had a short window to record. I knew the deadline. But it just didn’t work out for me, UGH! I’m in California so the 9 o’clock deadline comes up fast!
    Thanks, Mary Jane

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 152 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.