Participate in the March 2019 Member Challenge – Irish Songs!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2019 Member Challenge – Irish Songs!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    rickeymike
    Participant

laurasil – That was worthy of a recording contract. Very nice!

laurasil
    Participant

@rickeymike You are too kind, thank you so much 🙂

hotmilktea

Thanks Andrew!and Looking forward to Katie’s advice on my singing part

Andrew
    Keymaster

laurasil – Beautiful playing! Here is a video on some ideas to vary your strum attack to produce timbres. And here is the lesson on the mechanics behind the “flick” strum I mentioned.

laurasil
    Participant

Thank you so much Andrew! I will definitely work on the strum variations. And I’m really grateful you explained your strum (the flick strum). Ever since I started watching your YT channel I wanted to learn it but could never figure it out on my own 😂

Andrew
    Keymaster

@hotmilktea – Here is what Katie said 🙂

Great performance! Singing and playing the fingerpicking part can be difficult due to the extra embellishments that don’t follow the melody. Because singing and playing at the same time can be difficult to navigate, so here are few tips that I give my students in order for them improve. It is common to forget to support your singing as you play because your concentration is divided. As you continue to practice, be mindful of your breath and make sure you are breathing deeply from your diaphragm. Focus on filling the bottom part of your lungs first, the sides expanding the ribcage, and then the very top. Keep your shoulders down and relaxed.

From there, over annunciate your consonants and open up on the vowel. This will help with your breath support as well because your air will not escape out of your mouth as quickly leaving more air in your lungs to support your voice.

As you are singing, imagine the air coming up and out of the top of your head like a dolphin instead of out of your mouth. That helps you not to over sing and use less air. Place your hand over your mouth and sing “gloria” like you normally would. You will probably feel lots of hot air against your hand. Now try it again but this time think about the air coming out of the top of your head instead of your mouth. You’ll feel less hot air hitting your hand as you sing. People have a tendency to imagine their air coming straight out of their mouths while singing and use too much air. That cuts their phrases short. It also might help imagining a candle in front of you as you sing. The goal is to imagine the flame barely flickering in front of your lips while you sing. I wish I could make video for you because this would make more sense, but I hope that this helped. Let me know if you need anything else.

hotmilktea

Thanks Andrew and Katie! Sing is very new to me, and yep i find the breath is the hsrdest part. I always feel dizzy if sing a high note or long phrase. But excited to learn more! Its a long journey~

brettboy
    Participant

Hi Rockclass101 Friends!
    I learned Red is the Rose this month and decided to play it in the key of D on my baritone. Here’s my best take:

robinboyd
    Participant

@brettboy – that sounds great on the baritone.

@hotmilktea
    – don’t stress about the singing. If I get over my cold in the next few days, you’ll get to laugh at me trying to hit those high notes. (Otherwise, I might have to get Tiffany to fill in).

rickeymike
    Participant

Brettboy: It’s The BOMB!

cyukug
    Participant

Finally I got my first ever video here.
    I’m a bit nervous and can feel the muscles are tense. Hope that I have time to make it better

By the way, I’m from Taiwan.
    CY

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by cyukug.
    robinboyd
    Participant

@cyukug – I LOVE your uke. Is that an Anuenue?

rickeymike
    Participant

CY, that was wonderful. Such a good job!

nthibode

Guess what song I heard while watching the second season of Fargo? Danny Boy! It’s funny how things line up sometimes. I didn’t know this song until I started the challenge at the beginning of March. Now I’ve probably sung it over 150 times. Hitting that high note is HARD!

Here is my recording, featuring my new Outdoor Ukulele. I thought the green tied in well with the Irish theme.

I’ve really enjoyed watching everyone’s submissions so far. Well done!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by nthibode.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by nthibode.
    cyukug
    Participant

@robinboyd Yes. It is an anuenue.

@rickeymike
    Thank you. You are so kind.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.