Participate in the March 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Love Songs!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Love Songs!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

No worries, you played it very well!

misterbones
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, AJ. When I learned the piece, my main focus was indeed on bringing out the melody over the accompanying arpeggios. So thanks for noticing and mentioning it, that’s very motivating.

katazumiri
    Participant

Hello everyone!

Here is my “L O V E”:

Have a nice day!

shmu88
    Participant

Hi AJ,

Thanks for the advice! I tried to add more rubato and here is what is sounds like. Hopefully it’s a bit better than the first clip. Thanks!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@katazumiri – That was absolutely lovely with the bass duet. Well done!

@shmu88
    – Sounds great! There’s no right or wrong with rubato. As long as you dig it, that’s all that matters. As far as our advice goes, we just want to make sure you understand the concept, and it’s clear to me that you do 🙂

gstriph
    Participant

Here’s my take on Spanish Romance. I played it on the uke I made. Sorry I occasionally turned my left hand out of the picture. Still working on smooth transitioning of some of the fingerings and there were a few brief memory lapses of score (LOL)

Jerry

effortless

Here’s my attempt at Spanish Romance! I ended up tuning my G string up to A to make it easier to play the bass line that’s on the E string in the guitar arrangements I looked at.

p.s. sorry for the awkward camera angle that hides most of my fingering. I’m still trying to figure out a better way to situate my phone

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by effortless.
    johanna2509
    Participant

Hi, so this arrangement was much harder than I thought it would be.
    Until yesterday, I was practicing on my tenor, but I couldn’t get the big jumps or tricky four-finger chord shapes down in time…. So I switched to my soprano, hoping to compensate that.
    But now I could barely get all the fingers into the Dm7 shape and the barré chords are rather quiet….
    Here it is:

ukandrea
    Participant

Here comes my interpretation of “Spanish Romance”:

Thank you Steven for that beautiful arrangement and super tutorial.
    Andrea

pippin105

Here is my March 2021 challenge piece L-O-V-E.

I am a premium member.

wongbrown

Hello all,

Here is my submission for this month. I have chosen Spanish Romance. It is such a lovely song and I love the arrangements. Although I have done many takes- too many that I can’t even remember lol, I still think it’s worth the effort. Appreciate any feedback 🙂

Sheila

bethany_guardiani
    Participant

I am a premium member 🙂
    This month’s challenge felt a little more in my wheelhouse. Here is my take on L-O-V-E with the vocals included (my favorite part!). There are still some obvious mistakes, but overall happy with where I got this to be and up to tempo. And hopefully some of the graphics I included distract from the mistakes lol.

debb1985

I shot a new video to try and get rid of the random glitches. Figured I would post it! I also look happier at the end because my harmonics actually sound good lol 😆

AJ

Here is everyone on page 4!

gstriph – Great job!! The A section sounds fantastic so I would focus the practice on that B section at this point. It’s a bit trickier, but you’re almost there! your picking looks and sounds fine, so I think knocking out that B section is all there is to it now. Keep up there great work. Also, your ukulele is beautiful!!

effortless – Fantastic job!! that was a great performance. Not much to say other than keep up the great work!!

johanna2509 – Awesome job!! That was also a very nice performance. Very clean and clear. Keep up the great work!!

ukandrea – Nice job!! I would work a little on some of transitions in that B section. The chords get a bit stretchy there, so you want to make sure your muting technique is good during those transitions to avoid extra string noise. Overall you sounded great and you tempo was very even though out the piece. So great job!!

pippin105 – Sounds great!! One thing I would focus on are those chord transitions when you lift your fingers up from the strings. When you do that, use muting techniques to get rid of the string noise caused by lifting up your fingers. The open strings are ringing out slightly, and although it is subtle, once you get the muting down you’ll hear that it makes a big difference!!

wongbrown – Very nice performance! Nice and smooth all the way through. Once you got up high half way through that B section it started to sound a bit challenging, so just make sure at that part you’re getting good contact with the fretboard and getting a nice and clear tone from the note. Otherwise great job overall!!

bethany_gaurdiani – Fantastic Job! Only thing I can say is watch for those melody notes as you slide up and down the neck. Since there is so much movement going on it’s easy to hit a note slightly off causing it to buzz. But everything else sounded great. Keep it up!!

debb1985 – Nicely done! Tempo and rubato sounded great. I would focus on the higher portion of the B section as it sounded a bit challenging with some notes in the melody and the arpeggio being cut slightly short. Overall I think this was a very nice performance, so keep up the good work!

bethany_guardiani
    Participant

Thank you for the feedback, AJ 🙂 I definitely understand what you mean….until I joined Rock Class 101, I hadn’t really moved around the fretboard that much and I admit I struggle to sometimes land cleanly despite the amount of practice I put in. But that’s a part of the process and I am starting to see signs of improvement, which is encouraging. And the more I work on pieces like this that challenge me, the more I build the coordination and dexterity so I am really motivated to keep going!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.