Participate in the March 2022 Member Challenge – Theme: Movie Magic!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2022 Member Challenge – Theme: Movie Magic!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    brettboy
    Participant

Hi Uke Friends, Here’s my video for “The Explorer.” I play it on my Rogu(e) Baritone and my Luna concert with low G. Also, my kitty Chouquette joins me at the end for an impromptu sing-a-long!

Measure 8 & 16 were really tricky IMO but eventually I managed to get them sounding decent. Also, I gave up trying to play measure 23 as written. Those double stops on beat 2 and 3 that use 4th fret G string were changed to 2nd fret G sting to work with my playing style. The melody notes on the B string are the same so it sounds similar. (I tried to use my thumb for a while but I just didn’t like it.)

All in all this song is Totally Awesome and a great challenge. Thanks Andrew!

ajk101

I am a premium member.

I went with Jurassic Park – such a nice arrangement! Still some work to do but I figured I’d beat the end of the month rush this time.

ajk101

Lovely work @brettboy!

katazumiri
    Participant

Hello everyone!

Here is my attempt with “Theme from Jurassic Park”:

Have a nice day!

gi_gi_
    Participant

@brettboy Wow that was so good.

clempek
    Participant

Hey!

I worked into the maze.

I already learned it 1 year ago (it was my first participation in the monthly challenge) but I thought it would be fun to work it to see my progress.
    The passage with the thumb is still not very melodious 🙁

Andrew
    Keymaster

puppylovesuke – Excellent job and thank you so much for the kind words! You played it brilliantly with great feel and timing.

Only one thing to point out. Double check the notation in Theme 2. Sounds like a few of the bass notes in the walk-up bars are incorrect.

As for your question, Andrea’s advice is spot on. You’ll want to get a non-steel (a.k.a non-wound) string to avoid that sound.

zongozongo – Absolutely beautiful take, Nicolas. You nailed the relaxed feel which makes the melody shine. Well done! It was an honor to share it in our email newsletter last week 🙂

june2020 – Great job this month, June! So question, did you play along with the tab player in synthetic mode? Or with Matt? Because Matt’s performance uses rubato here and there. Which really lets the piece breathe as opposed to keeping a steady tempo and staying on the beat.

My suggestion for you is to slow the tempo down, but add a bit of rubato for a tasteful effect. For ex, try holding some of the dotted quarter or half note hits longer to build tension.

shmu88 – Excellent performance! I’m going to share this in our newsletter this week 🙂

brettboy – Excellent playing as always, Brett! And thank you so much for the kind words. I really appreciate it 🙂

LOL @ the duet at the end haha

ajk101 – Beautifully played, Allen! You nailed the pace, feel and vibe. Keep up the excellent work 🙂

katazumiri – Well played and super cool to hear it as a duet 🙂

clempek – I thought it sounded great! As for your comment about giving the thumb section a more melodious sound. Try experimenting with softer, lighter attacks. Check out this video where I talk about this in more detail. While the video uses fingerpicking as its example, the same concept can be applied for thumb strums.

puppylovesuke
    Participant

Thank you Andrew! You are 100% correct, in theme two I was playing 4-0-2 not 4-2-0 & 430 not 540. I’m too embarrassed to tell you how many hours I spent on themes 1 & 3 (song’s above my skill level) so it’s hilarious that I messed up on the “easier” theme 2.

I honestly would have played this wrong for the rest of my life which would have been a bummer considering the time investment. This really underscores how invaluable the interactive nature of this site is for students.

Thanks again!!!

laurakarr12
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
    Theme from Jurassic Park

laurakarr12
    Participant

Warning: New STRINGS!!! Sorry about the flat sounding notes. I just put a new set of strings on and they have not settled in.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@puppylovesuke – My pleasure!

@laurakarr12
    – Tuning sounded fine to me. It was beautifully played! Keep up the great work 🙂

darktoto
    Participant

Andrew
    Keymaster

@darktoto – Excellent playing! Only thing I’d point out is that the G string should be open in bar 3 and 4 and for the 3 walk down bars that follow it. Try that, you might like that melody note more than what’s produced when you barre across the 4th string 🙂

darktoto
    Participant

Thank you very much. Indeed, the melody sounds better with the open G. It was my first video attempt and I really enjoyed to play ” Into the Maze”. I also enjoy your web site & the passion that you pass on.
    Hello from France.

marianne
    Participant

Couldn’t help but learn this lovely arrangement of the theme from The Godfather! Thanks @steven!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.