Home Page › Forums › Monthly Member Challenges › Participate in the March 2022 Member Challenge – Theme: Movie Magic!
Tagged: Challenge, March 2022, Movie Songs, Movie Themes, Uke Republic
- This topic has 127 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 11 months, 3 weeks ago by Andrew.
March 1, 2022 at 2:04 pm #51086
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with site member challenge #60! WOW, there has now been over 3,000+ members participating in our challenges!
If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. And I offer feedback on ALL submissions! 🙂
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 RC101 Lessons:
1) “Jurassic Park” * – An elegant take on one of the most beloved themes from John Williams.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
2) “Into the Maze” * – This fingerstyle piece was inspired by the fantasy movie, Labyrinth.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
3) Love Theme from The Godfather * – Learn one of the most famous compositions related to Mafia culture.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE! (REQUIRES Low G)
4) “The Explorer” – Take a journey through space and time with this fingerstyle composition that was inspired by the motion picture, Interstellar.
* Note: Can be played on Baritone or Low G Ukulele. If you’re playing it on Low G, the tab and chord shapes are 100% identical to Baritone, but the chord names are different.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner to Intermediate Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “Jurassic Park”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece (from easier to harder): “Into the Maze”, “The Godfather”, OR “The Explorer”
3. Participation Goal: 50 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 RC101 songs anytime between Tuesday, March 1st till Thursday, March 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD. This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing on April 5th, 2022. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
1) $250 Grand Prize! Includes:
A) YOU CHOOSE! Any Ukulele Valued at $250 USD or under.
* You must choose a ukulele within this price range. Store credit will not be an alternative prize.
THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!March 2, 2022 at 12:55 pm #51096evapajuParticipant
OMG @andrew – “Into the Maze” is absolutely captivating tune! I literally cant stop playing it at the moment, hopefully I don´t hurt my left hand 😉
John Williams is classic of course with “Jurassic Park” and Matt´s arrangement makes this simply beautiful melody shine! Really good choices this month!
Good luck for everyone!March 2, 2022 at 5:55 pm #51099gi_gi_Participant
I love “The Explorer”. Beautiful song Andrew. Wishing everyone well with this month’s challenge. Have fun 🙂March 3, 2022 at 1:36 pm #51103
Thanks y’all! I appreciate the kind words 🙂March 7, 2022 at 5:27 pm #51115deadbuggyParticipant
Leave the gun, take the cannoli.March 8, 2022 at 12:04 am #51116evapajuParticipant
@deadbuggy, your performance is amazing! So much feel in it 🙂March 8, 2022 at 1:53 pm #51118
@deadbuggy – I agree with @evapaju, beautifully played! My only critique is that the dynamic effect of soft playing is cool but it was a bit hard to hear some of the passages in the tail end of the B melody.March 8, 2022 at 2:14 pm #51119deadbuggyParticipant
Thanks, evapaju and Andrew. And the reason that part of section b was so soft? I had a brain fart and momentarily forgot where I was!March 9, 2022 at 11:59 pm #51124
Andrew, you really did it this time! I found myself completely lost in the haunting space while exploring your song.
Note: my baritone arrived yesterday and the transition has been difficult from concert, but the biggest challenge is not getting the top string to squeak. Are there less squeaky strings you can recommend?
Premium memberMarch 10, 2022 at 8:13 am #51125
For clarification, my uke came with the top string made out of metal, but all the other strings are regular (smooth). It took me two full nights just to play it without a ton of squeaking but when I do, I get over excited and something else goes wrong haha (wish it had a smooth string?).
I’ve an astronomically long way to go on this one, but I will persevere cuz I can’t get the song out of my head (up there it’s an orchestra playing…which should probably happen).
March 10, 2022 at 9:39 am #51127zongozongoParticipant
- This reply was modified 1 year ago by puppylovesuke.
Seems Iam the first one who picked the epic Jurassic Park Theme 🙂
I am a PREMIUM member.
NicolasMarch 10, 2022 at 6:25 pm #51128june2020Participant
I picked Jurassic Park for this month. I really, really enjoyed learning this one. Another great arrangement by Matt Dahlberg. I also utilized the interactive tab so that I could get the correct timing for this piece. I used a loop for the Melody C part so that I could get the speed up (I found that part to be most challenging) and then match that tempo to the rest of the song. It really helped a lot!March 11, 2022 at 6:34 pm #51130ukandreaParticipant
@puppylovesuke: If you prefer smooth strings without squeaking I can highly recommend Worth strings Fluor-Carbon C-Series (clear strings).
I LOVE them for LowG (and high G) on my ANuenue, this should be the right version for a Baritone:
Worth Strings Saiten Fluoro-Carbon Bariton (CB 63)
If you go to my Youtube you can compare them in tenor size at Low G in “Etude in E Minor” vs. High G “in “Kiss the Rain”.
I have also restringed my Enya with those strings (in High G), you can hear it in “Last Christmas”. With the same strings there is a huge difference which comes from the quality of the ukulele.
Additional note on strings: I put again on the used LowG on the Anuenue, after I had it high G stringed for one month. Against discussions in internet – that works perfect!
Andrew might give more professional advice, but that is what works perfect for me.
AndreaMarch 12, 2022 at 9:38 am #51150
Danke Andrea!!! I definitely think it’s worth giving these strings a try and I’ll let you know how it all works out. I really appreciate your first hand experience! Btw, I’ve been binging your YT channel, nice playing and I hope to know that many songs someday; great inspiration!!!March 12, 2022 at 12:19 pm #51151shmu88Participant
Here’s my entry for this month 🙂
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.