Participate in the March 2024 Member Challenge: Irish Songs!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2024 Member Challenge: Irish Songs!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    janaq1
    Participant

@Andrew , thank you so much for your support. I really appreciate it.

@The_Bumble_Bard
    , thank you for your kind words.

1481632_m
    Participant

Here is the progress I’ve made this month on “Danny Boy”. I’ve enjoyed learning this song and will continue to work on it. Please pardon the vocals, singing is not my strong suit. -Megan

bibilele
    Participant

@The_Bumble_Bard Thank you so much! 🙂 No green screen, just the wallpaper in our living room. And I often have this changing light when recording. I think it is because it was a little too dark, then the ligt changes when I change the distance to my smartphone slightly. 😀

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@bibilele, haha, oh that explains it. That’s actually a pretty cool, somewhat accidental effect, and also I love that wallpaper. 😊 At first I thought it might’ve been a mural. I have a couple of friends who painted one of their walls green to create green screen effects. It “sort of” worked (it was glitchy in places where the paint was imperfect). 😅 That’s why it didn’t seem impossible that that’s what you did. 😅😂

marianne
    Participant

Thank you @The_Bumble_Bard and @Andrew!!

suekulele
    Participant

@leb397 Thank you very much 🤗

@The_Bumble_Bard
    that is o kind of you! Thanks o much for the hair compliment! Has been a big transition for me to “embrace the grey.” Also, do you mean holding the ukulele on you lap instead of with you forearm? I can hold a concert sized Uke with my forearm for most songs, but not a tenor. I fin ld it really difficult (almost impossible for me)to move around the fret board whilst holding with my forearm!

@Andrew
    – you’re the best – thank you!!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@suekulele, haha, I didn’t even notice any grey, I was more fixated on the epic swoop, looks really nice, but I feel like we always notice things like that about ourselves more than anyone else does. Slight side tangent, at one point I dyed my hair bright orange and the reference picture I gave the hairdresser was the girl from The Fifth Element movie. 😅😂 She talked me down to a more “respectful” shade of orange, just because with certain colors, they don’t fade out well. Very expensive, but at some point I’d like to do that again. But anyway, I meant with you holding the uke on your lap… That’s pretty much always how I hold my ukes, but now I’m thinking maybe it is better to hold it the way you normally do, with your forearm (as that’s the proper way it’s taught to be held). I always play a soprano or concert uke so that could be a factor. From what I understand, how you’re holding it in that video is kind of how players hold guitars when they’re playing classical guitar? I may be wrong about that. I guess the main drawback with NOT holding with your forearm is that the sound could be more muffled? Thanks for the reply!! 😊

lhamilton
    Participant

Hi,

I decided to also try Smash the Windows. I really enjoy the technique and this arrangement.

Linda

Andrew
    Keymaster

@1481632_m – Beautiful performance Megan! Excellent fingerpicking 🙂

@lhamilton
    – Well done, Linda! I like the effects and you perfectly captured the fun feel of the tune!

lhamilton
    Participant

Thanks, Andrew! It was really fun to learn to play.

ccwuke
    Participant

More great submissions! Well done everyone.

Forgot to mention – please exclude me from the prize draw this month

leslieb
    Participant

I attempted learning the Irish Washerwoman. I was unable to make my fingers move quickly and accurately. By the time I realized that I had not mastered this piece it was too late to try to master another. “Patience, grasshopper, patience”.

ldarrow
    Participant

I chose Red is the Rose this month. Running out of time to record which makes me more anxious when I do record. So though this is not the best I can do, it’s the best recording I could get in the last minute crunch. I have really enjoyed listening to everyone’s submissions.

karenj
    Participant

Here’s my March challenge submission of St. Anne’s Reel. Yowza. I really struggled with this one and gave up getting anything close to a clean take, even at a slower speed. I know my tempo and rhythm is all over the place At times it felt more like St. Anne’s Surreal! That said, I enjoyed learning the triple pick technique and hope to play it in a more relaxed style some day.

Thank you to the Rock Class 101 team for a great course and another great challenge. All of the submissions have been fabulous this month!

Take care, Karen

gi_gi_
    Participant

The Irish Waterwoman after 1 million and 11 takes ☺️
    I have to post a video of some of my many takes 🥴

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.