Participate in the May 2017 Member Challenge – Classical Ukulele Challenge

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2017 Member Challenge – Classical Ukulele Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Marissa killed it! She’s gonna be in this week’s lesson – oh yeah, I’m putting you on the spot haha 😀

brettboy
    Participant

I’ve been practicing it nonstop for two weeks now and I figure I’m as ready as I’ll ever be! So here I am playing Jesu! Thanks for the challenge Andrew!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by brettboy.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by brettboy.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Fantastic job Brett! I forgot how complex that tune was, it’s quite a finger frenzy!

mkpruss
    Participant

Wow. Thanks for the compliments everyone. I practiced a lot and listened to Andrew’s good advice. The metronome really helped me. I’m trying to remember to use it when I practice and to keep looping the harder parts. I’m working on Fur Elise and plan to try to get back to Canon in D soon. One of my favorites on here is the Toccata & Fugue. Don’t think I’ll EVER get there, but a girl can dream. https://rockclass101.com/toccata-fugue-d-minor/

I’m really impressed by everyone’s entries and I think the critiques by Andrew are great. Thanks so much for this site!

nocnyptak

Hi all

Thanks for great bunch of challenges – here is my entry.

For some reason website keeps logging me out when I want to practice with Andy so I developed my own tempo version of his lovely arrangement, haha. Hope it doesn’t hurt anybody!

gmriley1018

Here is my version of Ode to Joy. Thanks Andrew for the challenges. Keep them coming!!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Great job Margo (nocnyptak) and Gloria! Beautiful playing! 🙂

philrab66
    Participant

Hi nocnyptak
    Nice job is that a Martin CK1 you are playing?

nocnyptak

Thanks, Andy & philrab66!

I love all your arrangements, Andrew! Thanks very much!

@philrab66
    :

(I can’t see how to reply separately)

Good eye! – yes, it is C1K indeed 🙂

andracass
    Participant

I would have wanted to do something better, but for now I place this video, then maybe I’ll try it again. Andrew, if you give me advice on video, please talk slowly as you do in your lessons, because my understanding of spoken English is not so good.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by andracass.
    gabrieltozarin
    Participant

Hi Andrew!
    I’m not a premium member yet (I still have to convince my mother), so I only have access to part 1 of the lessons. Do I need to record both parts 1 and 2? I’m a very very beginner player (just got my uke, that’s soprano, so I’ll have to learn Ode To Joy or Fur Elise because In The Hall Of The Mountain King is not for soprano ukuleles).
    Thank you!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Great job Maria Teresa (andracass)! Question, did you have a metronome on in the background?

So, this Friday’s lesson will be a great one for you! It brings up some of the points I’m about to talk about with your performance. So def, make sure to watch it 🙂

Let’s talk about the B melody, bars 11-12. Here we have a C to a G7. In part 2 of the lesson video for Fur Elise, it highlights the best fingerings to use for those 2 chords. The chord diagram on the tab also lists these fingerings. I would highly recommend to use the fingerings laid out here, it will make the transitions from 1 chord to the next much easier. If you are new to barre chords, check out this lesson for help on proper left hand form.

If you jump to 5:27 in the part 2 lesson video, I suggest a way to practice C to G7. Give that way a shot after you get the fingering down. You can always put it into a timing too. For ex: play C for 1 bar, then G7 for 1 bar and loop this. Start slow and work it up to speed as you get the muscle memory down for each chord.

You did very well on the A melody, great job! I would just loop the harder bars of the B melody and check your fingering on some of the other sections in that melody. Let me know if you have any questions.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hey Gabriel, actually you can play In The Hall Of The Mountain King on a Soprano. In the helpful tips section (top of page) for that lesson, there is a note that says:

* Note: For Soprano ukulele players: Theme 3 and 4 expand past the 12th fret, but you can still play the entire song. Since we now know that the Themes repeat, you could play: Theme 1, 2, 1, 2, 5.

If your mom has questions about membership, please let her know that she can email me here 🙂 Looking forward to hearing your performance!

andracass
    Participant

No metronome, it’s my cuckoo clock! : D

I realize that the party with the agreements gets me very bad, I do not understand why I have so much difficulty going from one to the other, besides the fact that the ukulele slips me out of my hands. Actually, the C-G pass does not cause me problems, it’s in that position of the handle that I just can not.
    I will continue with the practice, thank you!

45241lvl
    Participant

Here is my entry, have loved learning this piece, Many thanks Andrew

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.