May 1, 2019 at 11:46 am #26999AndrewKeymaster
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #27! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a Oha Tenor Ukulele! This model is brand new for 2019 and retails at $795 USD.
I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 950+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 Rock Class 101 Arrangements on, The Beatles:
1) “Because” – One of The Beatles most hauntingly beautiful compositions; this song is perfect for those who love to sing, but wish to fingerpick an intricate harmony. * Taught in its Entirety for FREE!
2) “When I’m Sixty Four” – One of The Beatles most playful melodies; this fingerstyle arrangement is perfect for the seasoned beginner. * Taught in its Entirety for FREE!
3) “Here Comes the Sun” – IMO, this is one of their greatest melodies; and it is so much fun to play! * Taught in its Entirety for FREE!
4) “If I Fell” – A gorgeous melody that moves gracefully up and down the entire fretboard, thus posing the perfect challenge for the advanced fingerstyle player.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner to Intermediate Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “Because” (* You MUST SING AND PLAY to receive an entry into the giveaway!) OR “When I’m Sixty Four”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Here Comes the Sun” OR “If I Fell”
3. Participation Goal: 75 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 Beatles Songs anytime between Wednesday, May 1st till Friday, May 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our April Challenge: Love Song Themed!
Second Chance: Participate in our May Challenge: Beatles Themed!
Third Chance: Participate in our June Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On July 4th, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize. You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of May and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
1) $795 Grand Prize! Includes:
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED BY HONOKA!
Select Solid Koa Top
Solid Mahogany Back and Sides
Walnut Finger-Board and Bridge
UV Natural Finish
Made in Hawaii, USA
Black Poplar Position Markers and Logo
Other Features: Includes a black hard foam case
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!May 1, 2019 at 12:25 pm #27001becky7777Participant
Andrew- The ‘If I fell’ link leads to A thousand Years. (When I click it)May 1, 2019 at 12:29 pm #27002AndrewKeymaster
Fixed! Thx, Becky!May 1, 2019 at 12:46 pm #27005planetfinkParticipant
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will work on a new tune this month, but I already had recorded this one. I played a cigar box ukulele because the old timey sound fit the tune. The uke was a gift from my daughter. She had it custom made for me with poppies and lupine painted on it because they are my two favorite flowers. She told the woman making it I actually played ukulele and wasn’t just going to just hang it on a wall, so she took extra care to make it playable.May 1, 2019 at 1:41 pm #27007richo_ukeParticipant
Congrats to you, planetfink you lucky one… already made it for this month. I’m not sure whether I will be successful with this song… really beautiful sounding and looking cigar box by the way….May 1, 2019 at 6:56 pm #27020
I’ve already been learning both of the beginner options and I can report that neither of is “easy.” Good luck everyone!
May 1, 2019 at 9:31 pm #27023
- This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by robinboyd.
Well, @planetfink just beat me to it, but here is my version of When I’m 64, obviously I was already learning this for Anne and didn’t just learn it in a few hours.
In spite of this one being recommended for a “seasoned beginner,” I found it really challenging. I think it was a stylistic thing. I’m used to playing much more laid back pieces, so this was much more upbeat than I’m used to, even if it wasn’t any faster. Anyway, I think I managed to get the upbeat feel, even though I squeaked a few notes. (Now to finish learning Because, which is much more in my wheelhouse stylistically.)
P.S. The towel on my lap was because this shirt has ultra rattly buttons.
Oops. Forgot to say I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER again.May 2, 2019 at 3:08 pm #27032annefgodfreyParticipant
Thank you, Robinboyd. Great job! Your ukulele has such a nice tone. Am trying to learn but a long way to go.May 2, 2019 at 3:44 pm #27034rickeymikeParticipant
Good job, Robin. I’m still looping the intro. ha
BTW did you match the towel to the shirt or the shirt to the towel?May 3, 2019 at 9:01 am #27046
@rickymike – Would you believe the matching was a coincidence?May 3, 2019 at 9:22 am #27047nthibodeParticipantMay 3, 2019 at 10:08 am #27048rickeymikeParticipant
Robin, haha. I had to watch your video a second time when you mentioned the towel. Didn’t even notice it the first time. LOL I think the purple towel should become a fixture in your future videos.May 3, 2019 at 1:01 pm #27062deadbuggyParticipant
I am a Premium Member
It’s been raining here for the last five days. I need to see some sun. And so does my Kala Waterman. We will entertain ourselves in the car while we wait…May 3, 2019 at 1:27 pm #27063cncamachoParticipant
Pumped for this challenge — I love playing the Beatles! I am hoping to try Here comes the sun if it’s not too challenging.May 3, 2019 at 2:43 pm #27064
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.