Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile'a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile'a!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 278 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Form 1. Feel free to post a video, happy to take a look.

robinboyd
    Participant

@hotmilktea – We seem to be struggling with exactly the same bits. I’m glad Andrew said form 1 because I found that is exactly what has helped me.

hotmilktea

if I use Form 1, my ring finger will mute the third string. But if i use Form 2, it is hard to place my middle finger on the first string…I guess I need more finger flexibility for this chord. Time to do some finger dance now ^^

robinboyd
    Participant

In the video, Katie says she releases her ring finger from the G string to fret the A string with her middle finger. That might help. I can attest to the fact that it is possible to play without releasing the ring finger (I have been practicing because the next chord has the ring finger in the same position), but it is really difficult for the reasons you mentioned.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by robinboyd.
    joannetala

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Had to mention that first, before I forget (did last month ;-)). Fortunately, I was reminded.
    Anyway, here’s my entry for this month. I still need to practice at it and hopefully will get the chance to submit a better rendition. Just need to get it in right before I go on a trip.

Love to play this song (When I’m 64) and did my best on it.

When I’m 64

Andrew
    Keymaster

joannetala – Great playing! So last month, we talked about working on counting rhythms. I recommended to check out the reading course, which will help greatly with strengthen timing, as your focus will be on understanding rhythmic durations.

So for ex, one area I hear you struggle with this month (and last) is holding half notes out for 2 beats, which happens in bars 25 & 26. Try counting as you play, using a metronome, or the on-screen tab viewer, those will def help. But the course will give you a better understanding of rhythms so that you have a foundation in place.

So that’s what my focus for you would be on. Your playing is quite lovely, just need to target rhythms/timing.

jinajupiter
    Participant

Can this post pls. Be deleted? Thank you 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by jinajupiter.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@jinajupiter – Can you upload to YT and share the link. The upload feature on the site is only for photos.

jinajupiter
    Participant

Hello Andrew and all.
    Here is a question on holding the Uke in between plucks and strums.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Jina, here is the lesson I referenced. And here is a video to help you 🙂

jinajupiter
    Participant

Thanks Andrew for the quick anwer :).
    So I will have very much curve my LH fingers on the A7 chord.
    I’ll practice that one.
    While you were recording your video I experimented with a rope on my ukulele,
    (not on myself) like you would use a strap. That worked as well.
    Thanks again! Cheers

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure! And yes, a strap def helps 🙂

lakeside339
    Participant

I wish we could ‘like’ posts here. Andrew – you guys give such useful feedback to everyone, that I try to read or watch them all. I would never have considered form 2 – now I see where it can be helpful

stinyuke

Hi Matt

I’m not sure If I understand how to do the harmonic on fret 12 in “When I’m sixty four” I tried to do it as you explained and release my finger as i Strum down but it sounded more like a accidental pull-off than a nice sound. What I did for now while practising was to barre fret 12 and strumm from string 3 to 1. Would that work too? What should be the difference between the harmonic and just strumm it? Thanks a lot for your help! 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

@stinyuke – You want to lift up after the strum, which allows harmonic to ring out. Check out this video for extra help on it 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 278 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.