Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile'a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile'a!

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 278 total)
  • Author
    jlbross
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback Stephen. I love
    My banjo uke too.
    I wonder if I do that with my fretting hand from all the years of learning guitar? I found guitar difficult with my small hands and my pinkie being 1/2“ shorter then it should be. LOL. Some chords are hard to get to. I do try to laugh at my mistakes. I normally play it over and over trying to get the best take and it should not be about that but how much I improved. And believe me, I improved. I was able to play along with Matt at his pace for most of it but while I had it memorized, I was not coming up with it fast enough for some parts. So that is my future goal, to recall it faster and play full speed with Matt. I am very close. Thanks for taking time to give me feedback. Jennifer B

marni11
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback Andrew! I’ve been working on the song with the on-screen tab viewer, and it’s helping me out! I wasn’t able to use it earlier on, because our internet wasn’t working, but it’s all good now! 🙂

stinyuke

Thanks for the helpfull feedback stephen! I’ll try to play it a bit slower i think too that’ll be much smoother than how I played it.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is everyone on page 16 that we hadn’t reviewed yet.

—-

kanae926 – Kanni, that was awesome! So I read the concerns that you wrote, and I don’t think they are concerning at all. Instead what I would focus on is adding a little bit more dynamic to your playing. Start with incorporating accents. Check out this post that I left for another member earlier this month. It will be a great starting point for you.

nitsur – Well done! So one thing I want to point out is in regards to your right hand wrist being bent upwards a little bit. Try to keep it parallel. Check out this lesson to see the form that we recommend using.

The other thing I want to point out, is the same advice I left for another member earlier this month: Here’s my suggestion for you. Play along with Matt. Slow the tab player to 65 or 70% and take an 8 bar section. Try to match his feel. So your goal is to get a little bit more of a relaxed feel.

Heads up for next month’s live lesson. I spoke with Matt yesterday and I asked him to make next month’s topic, “playing with finesse”. This is going to be a great one for everyone to check out because the focal point is: Not only playing the correct notes, but instead, focusing on how you play them.

gardn_gnome – Glad it was helpful. It’s a little difficult to see how you are holding the uke from the angle on this video, feel free to share another with a better angle if you need more guidance.

So I think this song is a little beyond your current level. And this is a downfall of the challenges some months. Sometimes the song selections only cater to the season beginner and above.

But, here’s a good one to work on. Focus on getting the notes clean, ringing out, and keeping the timing steady. Speed isn’t important, slow and steady wins the race. Feel free to post a video if you learn it, happy to review it 🙂

ukemaniak
    Participant

@Stephen

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I will study a little more and check this “extra beats”.
    I know that I exagerated a little bit – false memory of the song.

Thanks! Aloha from Brasil.

gaberdude
    Participant

P.S. I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER 🙂

rickeymike
    Participant

Drew- Thanks a lot for the advice. I will definitely use that practice technique for this month which I started today and have just been looping the first 2 bars and getting that triple strum feel in my head.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is everyone on page 17.

—-

borjez – Wow! Your playing has fantastic feel and timbre. That was a pleasure to listen to. 🙂 If I do have to give you criticism (which is extremely nit-picky), listen to the transition in to and out of the refrain. Note the slightly rushed tempo changes. Watch out for that. This is actually an area that I struggle with and spend a lot of time working on.

ukukelley1 – Way to go, Sheryl! Playing sounds great 🙂 Couple things I’d suggest working on:

1) Listen back for single notes that buzz. Loop and repeat those sections with a focus on getting note clarity.

2) Also listen back for things that were tricky. For example, in the A Melody, the G7 barre chord (first time through at 19 seconds), did not ring clear. And if you listen to the second time you play the A Melody, same thing. So you want to practice the phrase that leads in and out of that chord, again focusing on getting note clarity.

3) Try to memorize the B Melody. That way you can focus more on your playing, instead of also reading.

So as you see these are pretty minor things, but working on them will have a big impact on the overall sound.

iyers408 – Great job, Shankar! You’ve got a great base established, and what I would work on is focusing your practice on 4 bar phrases. Take the first four bars of the A Melody, loops them in the tab player, slow it down to the speed you need, and play along. Focus on note clarity and timing. Once you get that down, do the next four bars, then try the 8 bars. Breaking it into chunks is the best way to improve.

omaon4 – Well done! I’d recommend the same advice I left about for iyers408. This advice is also contained in our practicing guide, which is a great resource to reference.

jkv_01 – Fantastic take, Jemina! Love the upbeat vibe. 🙂 I’d say with a little bit more practice, you’ll have it flowing (timing-wise) smoother. But really good job, keep up the great work!

kelsey91 – That’s a great start, keep at it! Unfortunately, the second half of your performance is not our arrangement, and I cannot give you an entry for this month’s giveaway. Hope you have more time to join us for next month!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Wow! 77 members joined us for this month’s challenge, with a few more posting an additional performance on a second tune! It has truly been a pleasure for Stephen and I to watch everyone’s performances and offer our humble feedback. BIG thanks to each of you who participated and bravo on a job well done!

Our June Challenge is LIVE and its theme is: Beach Vibe Tunes! I hope each of you joins us again.

Below, I will post a list of members who participated in the May challenge for your second chance to win the Kanile’a Ukulele. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

—-

planetfink
    planetfink
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    deadbuggy
    deadbuggy
    cncamacho
    cncamacho
    brenna
    brenna
    sprintingyogini
    sprintingyogini
    joannetala
    joannetala
    gaberdude
    gaberdude
    kirpuff
    kirpuff
    lyndallk
    lyndallk
    laurakarr12
    laurakarr12
    lisadmh
    lisadmh
    mheiden
    mheiden
    annefgodfrey
    annefgodfrey
    nthibode
    nthibode
    brettboy
    brettboy
    en_joy
    en_joy
    smudge
    smudge
    jinajupiter
    jinajupiter
    twizzler
    yellowrosecottag
    yellowrosecottag
    johanna2509
    gstriph
    gstriph
    kellyblackburn
    kellyblackburn
    scampi123
    scampi123
    lildevil
    noemie
    cyukug
    cyukug
    zukulele
    zukulele
    wongbrown
    wongbrown
    skilshaw
    skilshaw
    soraya06
    soraya06
    joe150
    joe150
    aquatopaz
    aquatopaz
karenj
    karenj
    tiff27
    justin
    justin
    holly1
    holly1
    cornishdpt
    cornishdpt
    hotmilktea
    hotmilktea
    mfaske
    mfaske
    rufio0
    rufio0
    bzediver
    bzediver
    timolnz
    timolnz
    morrieuke1
    morrieuke1
    rickeymike
    rickeymike
    lisamcc
    lisamcc
    santai
    santai
    stianukulele
    stianukulele
    andracass
    andracass
    marni11
    marni11
    surfnrz
    surfnrz
    gaevdl
    gaevdl
    juwong
    funtime2018
    funtime2018
    ukemaniak
    ukemaniak
    chirimoya
    stinyuke
    stinyuke
    jlbross
    jlbross
    betsy_manning
    betsy_manning
    laurasil
    fiat-lux
    fiat-lux
    casadot349
    casadot349
    abaluyot
    abaluyot
    kumakuma
    odysseus
    odysseus
    kanae926
    kanae926
    nitsur
    nitsur
    gardn_gnome
    gardn_gnome
    borjez
    borjez
    ukukelley1
    ukukelley1
    iyers408
    iyers408
    omaon4
    omaon4
    jkv_01

borjez

Hi Andrew,

Wow! Thanks for the wonderful comments! It means a lot. 🙂

Good call on the rushed tempo surrounding the refrain. I had my suspicions regarding the timing in this section. After listening a few times I wasn’t sure what to think and figured I was just over-analyzing. Thanks for your input.

Looking forward to the next one!

Cheers!

J.

nitsur
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback…. but I have a question.. I agree about the right hand position.. so I payed attention to it tonight. I think I’m doing that on purpose because my fingernails are quite long on that hand (I have had to keep them trimmed on the left hand) but I guess I’m turning my hand because otherwise my fingernail snags… Should I be trimming my right hand super short too? Do fingernails tend to interfere when playing?? This is my first string instrument (always played clarinet) so not sure what to do with nails. But I did notice when I was trying to fix my hand/arm position my nails kept messing me up. So what does everyone else do? Long or super short?

kanae926
    Participant

Personally, I’ve always hated long nails on either hand (even before learning a string instrument), so I keep all of them extremely short. But I’ve seen a lot of ukulele players (men and women alike) who prefer to keep long nails on their picking hand because they like the sound and use their nails like picks rather than plucking with blunt fingertips (which produces a softer sound).

marni11
    Participant

Nitsur,
    I found longer nails got in the way of my playing, so I keep them short. It seemed to catch, and I didn’t like the sound. That is my opinion anyway!

robinboyd
    Participant

@nitsur – Long nails would affect your left hand form, but not your right. I’ve also been pulled up for poor right hand form in the past and I don’t think nails have anything to do with it.

santai
    Participant

Thank you so much for your feedback, Andrew and morrieuke1! 🙂
    I will consider posting a video for the next challenge – we’ll see…

I really loved the sung contributions! This makes it a whole different kind of challenge, especially since I’m not a good multitasker.

@Brenna
    : Your “rogue” style of playing is incredibly inspiring to me. You did this In April too with Dream A Little Dream of Me. That’s the kind of musicality I’d lime to acquire with the uke. And you make it look so effortless…

Also, thanks again for the feedback Stephen and Andrew! Through this, everyone here has already won, even without the raffle. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 278 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.