Participate in the May 2020 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2020 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 333 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@joe150 – I can hear you are improving, Joe! Great job!

So I have a challenge for you. I want you to memorize it and post another video. Doesn’t have to be within the month’s time frame, any time in the future. From what I heard, you should have most of it down w/out needing to look at the music. But, if you stumble try this approach:

Play 4 bars while looking at the music. Turn the music around and play those 4 bars w/out looking. If you can’t, repeat the process. Approach memorizing this way. Breaking pieces into chunks helps you memorize it faster.

When you have it memorized, you can focus more on your playing. That’s what I want to hear.

Steven
    Participant

Ok, so you practice and practice and practice – you get to the point where you feel like you’ve got it. You can play it through pretty well without thinking too hard about it so you decide today is the day to record it. You get set up, press the record button, start playing and your brain completely stops working, your fingers refuse to do what they were doing quite happily half an hour ago, you start sweating in places you didn’t know had sweat glands and that fact that you know you are being ridiculous only makes you more frustrated and makes playing even harder!

Anyone else, or is that just me??

Anyway, here is my rendition of Out in the North (after MANY takes). I enjoyed the right hand challenge with this one (at least I did until I pressed that flippin’ record button!)

Loving everyone’s submissions so far and looking forward to those still to come 🙂

Steven
    Participant

Oh, and forgot to say – I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER 😉

rickeymike
    Participant

Wow, Warren. PERFECTION! And at 100% speed. Just awesome dude. Love the pause before the final Melody A and the slow down at the end (I forgot what it’s called, ha)

Andrew
    Keymaster

@sgwarren – phenomenal job! You nailed the feel. I’ll send this to Tobias, I think he’ll be tickled pink 🙂

surfnrz

@sgwarren, fabulous job! Excellent technique! Bravo!

stianukulele

Hi, here is Out in the North from a nearby woods up here in the north (Norway), maybe a little low sound. My kids are behind the camera and making some stepping sound 🙂

I AM PREMIUM MEMBER

funtime2018
    Participant

@sgwarren: great job on playing.super!
    On the subject of recording… your post was quite humorous to me. I’m with you… I practice for hours, day after day. As soon as I hit record everything that my brain and muscle memory was taught is gone – just vanishes. Fingers can’t find the correct frets and my brain says ‘watch out this is a tricky measure’ Bam – I have to start over and over. I was thinking of making a blooper video out of all of the stops and starts.
    Again, great job on the piece.

rebeca
    Participant

@sgwarren – Anxious while playing are you kidding? That sounds familiar to me but your playing just transmits the opposite:incredibly expressive, linked, fluent and effortless. Brilliant performance! Congratulations!

BTW Would you mind telling me how many years you’ve been playing ukelele? Have you studied music or played another instrument? Just curious! 😉

rebeca
    Participant

@stianukulele – wow! excellent! I Love your rigth hand technique and there couldn’t be a better place to play this song. love it!
    I’m enjoying and learning a lot with everyone here

Steven
    Participant

Thanks for all the comments guys – really appreciate it 🙂

@Andrew
    Yikes!! You’re sending it to Tobias??!! Erm…. ok then 😬

@funtime2018
    Yup, that all sounds about right – glad it’s not just me 😉 I think if I made a blooper video it would be hours long!!

@rebeca
    Thank you so much for your very kind words 💗 I’ve been playing ukulele for about 3 years now but I have played guitar on and off since I was young (I had guitar lessons as a teenager) so I definitely had a head start. However, I have played ukulele OBSESSIVELY for those 3 years – I just love it!!!!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Steven.
    Steven
    Participant

@stianukulele Loved it!! I’m with rebeca – your right hand technique is excellent and the piece flows beautifully. I think I’ll try a bit of outdoor recording – see if it helps take the pressure off!!
    Great job 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

@stianukulele – That was awesome, Stian! Great job on the RH technique! The only suggestion I have is to slow it down a notch. I think the notes will breathe a bit more at a tiny bit slower tempo. Keep up the great work!

planetfink
    Participant

I am a premium member. Decided to give you an ocean view this time.

Steven
    Participant

@planetfink Love the relaxed vibe to your playing – really nice to listen to, and that view is AMAZING!!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 333 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.