Participate in the October 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a CUSTOM Kanile’a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a CUSTOM Kanile’a!

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 303 total)
  • Author
    marni11

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
    Here is my entry. This was a very busy month for me, so I didn’t practice as much as I wanted too. It’s full of mistakes, and it’s bad quality I know. Still working on it though! Happy Reformation Day!!

gaevdl

“I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER”

Well, if I were to paste a bunch of clips together and make a collage, I’d have a perfect song! I still struggle to make it all the way through any song without mistakes. I did love this song though so I would have learned to play it with or without the challenge. Thanks for the motivation though!

Happy Halloween!

kellyblackburn
    Participant

Here is my October entry. I had a busy month and wish I had more time to practice.

Kelly

mac1984
    Participant

sound of silence

I am a premium member.

This is far from perfect, but best I could do for now

jazzitup
    Participant

Thanks for your feedback, the part in the upperneck is indeed tricky yet it gives a bass line for the melody (G – Eb – C respectively), which I find really dynamic. Sadly I haven’t managed to pull it off at high tempo :)), well that’s definately something to strive for.

wongbrown

Stephen, thank you very much for your feedback. You are so rightly pointed out about my inconsistency in speed. Yes, I found the transition is particularly hard for me. I’ll slow down as advised. I am confident that I’ll improve with the help of the metronome. Cheers, Sheila

ultramom
    Participant

Hi Stephen,

Thanks a lot for your advice 🙂

annefgodfrey
    Participant

Stephen, thank you for helpful feedback.
    Happy Halloween, everyone!

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Still not as polished as I hoped but I learned a lot this month and it was a really fun song to work on. Thanks for the challenge.

lisotta
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh man! Playing the ukulele is so fun! I’ll definitely be trimming my bangs before the next one. Thanks for the challenge, it was challenging!

cyberloh
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is everyone of page 15.

—-

willymac – Well done! Here are my thoughts for you 🙂

andracass – Great job, MT! When I listen, I hear sections that are very fluid, followed by sections that lose that pace. So I’d suggest taking 4 or 8 bars at a time and just playing that. Your focus should be on keeping it fluid and in-time. In essence, your building the song section by section.

Keep up the good work, this was another solid month for you!

smudge – Bravo! You have such a beautiful tone to your playing. I really dig the change you threw in at 38 seconds. Fits the vibe of the tune perfectly! I’m sorry to hear about the issues, but it hasn’t stopped you from creating beautiful music. Keep up the great work!

dubrova – Well done! Here is the feedback on right hand form I referenced. And her follow up on fixing it, and my response.

Here is another area to work on:

isabelm
    Participant

I’m a Premium Member. Thank you so much Andrew!!

Here’s another go at “Sound of Silence.”

oldan_
    Participant

I am a Premium Member.

So… first video submission ever and first challenge participation. Also first post here, been a member for about a month now. Very exciting.

Obviously not quite as good as I’d like it to be. Learned a lot and love the arrangement… had many much better runs than this one but time is running out and the record button is a bitch 🙂

Excited for the November challenge 🙂

willymac
    Participant

Andrew,
    Thanks so much for your kind words and suggestions. I really appreciate the constructive criticism and the fact that you listened to the song so closely to be able to hear those things. Thank you. I will definitely work on all of them.

I did hear the problem with the bass notes on the upper part of the neck that you mentioned, but I didn’t know what to do about them, but your suggestion worked. In the bass world we have the opposite problem. The bass is a “ringy” instrument and we’re alway working to make sure it doesn’t ring too long. But you’re definitely right, those bass notes sounded choked off, in a bad and distracting way. Thank you.

I can’t wait for November’s challenge to work on that arpeggio. That’s something I do on the bass guitar all the time (with the same inconsistency), I can’t wait to fix it. I know several pit orchestra conductors who will probably want to send you a thank you card for letting me know about this. 🙂 To be fair they’ve mentioned that to me before, but conductors say so many things, we can’t be expected to listen to all of their comments. 🙂

I tried to put those speed up and slow downs into the song as well as a volume difference between the accompaniment and the melody line, but I couldn’t make it work before I ran out of time. But I’m not done with this piece, I’m going to continue working on it to internalize all your suggestions as well as work on separating the melody line from the harmonization…that’s hard. Everytime I started making progress on it something else fell apart. Although some of the speed ups and slow downs kind of took care of themselves when I was experimenting with the volume…Say, do you plan on having a course on how to separate the melody line from the harmonization? That would be cool.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it. RockClass101 rocks! Woo hoo!
    Cheers,
    Brian

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 303 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.