Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    mozcyc
    Participant

Hello everyone!
    I am a total beginner and will definitely go with the Triple Strum Etude, haha.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@mozcyc – Well played! Here’s one tip: Try to keep your pinky floating above the neck so that it’s ready to be used if needed. It should look this:

null

For example, if you watch your performance in the G7 chord section, you’ll see that it is tucked beneath the neck, which limits mobility if it’s needed.

b_ukes_101

mozcyc that was great!

mozcyc
    Participant

@Andrew – Thx for your advice Andrew. I try to hover my pinky and it works better then before! Hovering the pinky makes me easier (and faster) to put my fingers in the right place. 🙂

@b_ukes_101
    – Thank you. <3

effortless

Hi all! I wanted to tackle St Anne’s Reel this month but I pretty quickly decided that I had to go back to the Triple Strum Etude to learn the triple strum. I’ve been having a lot of fun playing around with the triple strum once I started getting a little more comfortable with it!

shmu88
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

One of my biggest problems every time is choosing (or transitioning) between left hand form 1 and 2. For example, in St. Anne’s Reel, for some reason the first 3 bars I’m feeling more comfortable playing with left hand form “1” (big U shape, as shown in your lesson on that subject) and then bars 4-5-6 I’m more comfortable playing with left hand form “2”. I don’t have too much trouble transitioning from form 1 to form 2, but when I get to the end of bar 6 and going up the neck again, i’m really struggling to transition from form 2 to form 1 without holding my ukulele with my last fingers of my right hand, or otherwise the neck of my uke “drops” and the flow of my playing stops and feels clumsy. I tried “fixing” this problem with staying in form 2 all the time but i’m struggling with that too when I go up the neck (for example for the high G chord 5-7-7-0). I hope I’m clear, but in the end the main problem in my playing is transitioning smoothly from left hand form 2 to form 1. Any tips?

Thanks!!
    Sam

Andrew
    Keymaster

@effortless – Well done! Here’s my feedback you 🙂

@shmu88
    – I’d struggle moving from form 1 to 2 on that song too. For my playing style and what I would do, I’d stay in form 2 throughout all of it. That’s the only way I’d be able to maintain neck stability. Try that and if you struggle, post a video and I’ll see if I can help troubleshoot.

godmustbecrazy
    Participant

Andrew
    Keymaster

@godmustbecrazy – well done and I fixed your video for you. In the future, all you have to do is paste the url in its own line, like:

YouTube Link

And it will self-embed.

As for the performance, my one suggestion for you is to lighten up your right hand attack. A lighter strum/pluck will produce a softer, sweeter tone.

mark1256
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Triple Strum Etude. Not happy with the sustain but this was the best of several attempts.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@mark1256 – That was a great take, Mark! I love that you used the right hand technique! Check out the video feedback I left above for @effortless. It’s got some tips for increasing sustain.

godmustbecrazy
    Participant

Thank you Andrew for fixing my video and for the feedback. I will work on lighter strum and pluck.

mark1256
    Participant

Thanks Andrew. I’ll check out the video.

henri0
    Participant

Melodic etude below.

Trying to do less takes before submitting…but think I’ve got the feel right 🤞 also need to watch the video lesson still 😬

Determined to get St Anne’s Reel in later this month, but it’s looking hectic busy for me atm, so will leave for now with…

I am a Premium Member

rebeca
    Participant

Aloha uke community! This month I´m sharing St Anne´s Reel. Thank you for the lesson. Useful tips and well explained. Steven, You are not only a great player but also a a great teacher 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.