Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Rock Class 101 Community!

We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #43! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a Islands Series Ukulele! This concert sized model features the Hawaiian Islands inlayed on the soundboard in Pāua (Abalone) and retails at $1,834 USD.

I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 1,900+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. And I offer feedback on ALL submissions! 🙂

Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.

Pick 1 from the following 2 Rock Class 101 Triplet Strum Magic Songs:

These songs are performance pieces from our new course: Triplet Strum Magic.

It’s highly recommended that you go through the course before attempting the piece, as it will set you up for success with playing them! The course teaches you an entirely NEW right hand playing style that offers a truly unique, one of a kind sound! 

With that said, you can perform the pieces with traditional fingerpicking/strumming technique. Therefore, playing with the new style isn’t required for your submission, but is highly encouraged.

1) “Triple Strum Etude” * – Learn a melodic etude that reinvents the triplet strum! (NOTE: This song is titled as “Melodic Etude” in the course.) * Taught in its Entirety for FREE!

2) “St. Anne’s Reel” * – This traditional Irish folk song has a trick up its sleeve! It’s performed with a rhythmic backbeat AND a triple pick right hand technique. * Taught in its Entirety for FREE!

** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **

GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:

1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Don’t worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂

Recommended Piece: “Triple Strum Etude”

2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.

Recommended Piece: “St. Anne’s Reel”

3. Participation Goal: 100 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.

GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:

1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 2 Triplet Strum Magic pieces anytime between Thursday, October 1st till Saturday, October 31st, 11:59pm EST.

The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:

YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel

SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin

2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.

3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.

4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.

5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.

* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.

COMMON FAQs:

1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!

2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.

3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.

4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:

YouTube URL

5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.

Giveaway Rules:

There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:

First Chance: Participate in our October Challenge: Triplet Strum Magic!

Second Chance: Participate in our November Challenge.

Third Chance: Participate in our December Challenge.

Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On Christmas Eve (December 24th at 12 PM EST), I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.

Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.

Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize. You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of October and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).

YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.

Grand Prize:

1) $1,834 Grand Prize! Includes:

A) Kanile’a Islands Series Concert Ukulele (Includes: a semi-rigid pro case by arena)

null

null

null

null

null

null

OUR 4 PREVIOUS KANILE’A WINNERS! WILL YOU BE NEXT?

null

LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED!

UKULELE SPECS

Islands Concert Ukulele
    Deluxe Curly Koa body
    Hawaiian Islands inlay on soundboard in Pāua (Abalone)
    Tortoise front binding
    Solid Mahogany neck
    Ebony fingerboard, bridge, and head plate
    Standard Kanile`a Crown headstock
    Kanile`a open geared tuners
    Ebony bridge pins
    NuBone nut and saddle
    Pāua (Abalone) position markers and logo
    UV cured finish

Other Features: Includes a semi-rigid pro case by Music Arena

THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!

Kanile’a: https://www.kanileaukulele.com/

Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/

AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!

patparr
    Participant

I want it, I want it.
    You bet that I will participate.
    🙂

johanna2509
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Thank you Andrew for another challenge! It’s been one year since I subscribed to the premium membership 🙂

I’ve recently posted my take on the melodic etude in another thread and already received feedback. About a week ago I also recorded Ode to Joy. I am still working on Out in the North and other songs. I feel like I need to take a break from the triplet picking or otherwise I forget how to fingerpick “normally” haha.

So here are the Melodic Etude and Ode to Joy:

Wow, this Kanilea is one of the most beautiful ukuleles I have ever seen 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

@johanna2509 – I fixed your post 🙂 I removed Ode to Joy since it’s not a choice for this challenge, but you can def share it here.

johanna2509
    Participant

Thanks Andrew 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure! Here is the feedback Steven ( @SGWarren ) left for Johanna for those who didn’t get a chance to see/read it 🙂

Hi Johanna, I’m glad you’re enjoying the course and I have to say you really have nailed the melodic etude!! The key thing is that it feels natural and I can see from your playing that it totally does. It has that all-important fluid, rhythmic flow and as long as you can achieve that it really doesn’t matter how you get there. The parallel hand position is just to help ensure that the single string picks are nice and clean and don’t catch the strings either side. Sure, your hand isn’t quite as parallel as mine but you are hitting those single strings really cleanly so it doesn’t matter that you are ‘less parallel’.

The same goes for the curled fingers. As these fingers are pretty much redundant with this technique it doesn’t really matter what you do with them – just whatever feels comfortable (for some strange reason fully extended ballerina fingers feel comfortable to me!). Everyone will have slightly different physiology so as long as you’re achieving the desired result (which you totally are) then just go with what feels right. It certainly won’t affect things as you progress with the course and won’t be a disadvantage in any way.

The slightly larger range of movement with your strumming isn’t a problem either. Your hand movements are still very well controlled and the thumb and forefinger are correctly doing most of the work. The hardest part of this piece is controlling the index down strum to just catch two strings at a time and you have totally mastered that!

So, in summary I’m loving what you’re doing! It looks and sounds great so just keep doing what you’re doing. I’d love to see your rendition of Out in the North when you get to that stage 😉

Keep up the great work,
    Steven

P.s. that Flight Victoria sounds great too – lovely uke 🙂

samash07
    Participant

Oh wow, those tunes sound amazing and great performance there @johanna2509

Time to learn a new technique 😀

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by samash07.
    johanna2509
    Participant

Thank you @samash07! The new course is great! But also a bit confusing in the beginning.

lakeside339
    Participant

Oh, this is perfect. I have just started the started to triplet course, so the timing is right. I’d love to win this ukulele. I really miss living in Hawaii and it would be so nice to see the islands everytime I look at the uke.

miztaken
    Participant

Hell’s teeth!
    Here I was thinking I was slotting into early intermediate… I can pick, I can strum, I can count and keep time, I can see a new song and think “I can learn that!”, I have softened my attack on strings, I can occasionally play a tune at speed, and I sometimes enter the challenges.

And triple picking puts me and my confidence right back to beginner again.
    Oh well… one small step at a time…

henri0
    Participant

@miztaken get where you’re coming from. I was trying triplet strums for Christopher Davis-Shannon’s spin on Smile. And watched his triplet lesson too. I kind of took what I could from it and have tried it out when Ive felt like it.

For this one I’m fairly determined to learn At Anne’s Reel and did a double take that there’s a 40 minute lesson for the first two bars 😅 but I get it now, there’s a lot going on here. Imagine how much better our playing will be by learning this slowly. I’ve gotten into the swing of it after about an hour of practising and also applying it to one of the songs I like to play most…Sloop John B…that’s helping me… immediately applying it to something familiar.

But yeah, this will take a chunk of hours/days for me to get to a stage where I’ll feel happy submitting something.

miztaken
    Participant

I have the quote “the slower you go, the faster you’ll get there” on the front of my lessons folder.
    A good reminder for triple picking (and EVERYTHING else I am learning in my playing).

robinboyd
    Participant

@miztaken – If it helps, when I learned the triplet picking technique for Out in the North a few months ago, it really messed with my head too.

miztaken
    Participant

Oh, strangely I have no problem with Out In The North. I have already learned that and still play it
    I have gone backwards to learn the technique and do the Triple Pick course AFTER learning the song 😀
    I want all those green ticks and the course completed notice.

b_ukes_101

The triplet rhythm was tough for me to start but now I’ve learned the melodic etude and it just clicked. I’m taking the course and I’m going to try St. Anne’s Reel but might not get it up to speed in time. This uke is so beautiful and I really hope I win! What a Christmas present that would be lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.