Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@henri0 – Well done! I agree, performance had a great feel! Keep up the good work 🙂

@rebeca
    – bravo on the right hand technique! That was a great performance! I’d say practice a bit slower to help clean up your playing before trying that tempo, but you’re on the right path!

rebeca
    Participant

@Andrew – I’ll do it. Thank you for the feedback I appreciate it 🙂

Catherine
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I am a Premium member.

I am submitting “Melodic Etude” for the October Challenge.
    I haven’t finished the Triplet strumming lessons yet, I will therefore continue!
    Thank you very much for your feedback!

Cheers,

Catherine

Andrew
    Keymaster

@Catherine – Well done! So with this technique, the wrist should be pretty stationary with a slight twisting motion. What you’re doing is more like strumming.

Most of the movement comes from the thumb and index, lick a flick approach. The overall range of motion needs to be quite small – it’s a very controlled movement.

I’d recommend going back and re-watching the first 2 lessons of Module 2 in the course. That’s where Steven demos and explains the attack.

Catherine
    Participant

Thank you Andrew.
    Will re-watch the first 2 lessons of Module 2 and start all over!

qiuyan
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

Not sure if my wrist is twisting too much though. In this etude, the index down strumming all starts from the fourth string and the thumb down pick is all on the first string or second string (except for the last note in Melody B), so I find myself have to twist my wrist so that my thumb can reach the two lower strings. I’ve already taken and practiced the couple lessons in the new course prior to this etude, but still couldn’t figure that out whether / where I got it wrong. Thanks!

turkgoose
    Participant

I am a premium member.

@andrew
    thanks for the feedback last month.

As for this month, what a great new technique to learn. I’m so grateful for these monthly challenges because it “forces” me to learn new things. Anyway, I guess I have to have an actual video of me playing if you’re going to critique my technique. Anxiety was through the roof. I hope I’m doing it right.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@qiuyan – Nicely played! Check out the feedback I left for @Catherine a couple posts above yours. That should give you some clarity on correcting wrist motion.

@turkgoose
    – Well done on the right hand technique! Keep up the great work 🙂

andrewvh
    Participant

I am a premium member.

An early entry to take the pressure of. Maybe I’ll manage to improve on this before the end of the month.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@andrewvh – Great start, Andrew! I think one of the hardest things with this tune is keeping that strum intact – not only rhythmically speaking (on 2 and 4), but also in feel. So great job there!

The other part that’s tough is the left hand’s work, especially in the B melody. Break it down into little phrases. Loop and repeat, and slow the tempo down. Get 1 phrase super committed to muscle memory then work on the next, and piece it together, then raise tempo.

If you’ve got time, post a follow up at end of the month 🙂

sebyul
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I am a premium member.

I am participating for the first time. It took me a few tries. I hope to get your feedback.

I will continue the course hoping to reach “St. Anne’s reel”.

Thank you! 🙂

shmu88
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hello everyone!

This month I guess I had more time so I learned both songs. Not perfect and sorry for the bad sound…my iPhone is starting to die on me haha. Here is the Etude:

Thank you!

Sam

shmu88
    Participant

…are here is St.Anne’s Reel

Andrew, in the end I decided to “switch” from left hand form 2 to form 1 at 00:19 seconds…couldn’t get to play the high G chord (5-7-7-0) with form 2 🙁

cauer2

Hey all,
    Its been a while since I have been active on here. I intend to post a video of one of the songs, but I though this was kind of a cool aside. A little while back I watched Andrew’s video on why he plays a Kanilea, and since I’m always curious about things ukulele, I came across this video on YouTube. Its a bit long, but I thought it gave a lot of insight into the heart behind Kanilea. I just thought it might be worth sharing since the Kanilea is up for grabs at the end of this member challenge. Anyway, good luck to all. I will say, I am truly enjoying the triple strum course…Out in the North is a favorite piece of mine, so I’m really excited to get to learn it. Andrew, as always, thank you for the great content.

cauer2

I hope this works.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.