Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    utemor
    Participant

what a fun time I had learning this song!

here is me playing “triple strum etude”. I hope you enjoy 😊

Andrew
    Keymaster

@utemor – i fixed your video for you 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

@pgoody – i fixed your video, too 🙂

utemor
    Participant

Thank you so much! I Had some trouble posting it 😊

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 12.

aloooy – Bravo! Excellent job getting the technique down, it sounds great! Maybe give a go at the other song again, Steven’s lesson is step-by-step on how to play it like Tobias. This is good if you get stuck in a section. But after watching this performance, I definitely think you can handle that song!

luizaveit – Well done, technique looks great and it sounds fantastic! Keep up the great work 🙂

stinyuke – I know we’re not supposed to pick favorites, but yours was my favorite! Fantastic job to both of you. So much fun to watch!

celia21 – Well done! Technique looks great and sounds great! Watch out for placing your fretting finger on top of the fret. For example, at 24 seconds you are playing the G7. Your ring finger is on top of the metal fret and this mutes the sound of that note. Make sure you are fretting behind the fret, close to it, but not directly on it.

miztaken – Sounds great, Misty! I don’t think I’d worry too much about the things you pointed out, instead the only thing that stood out to me is in regards to the first hit (the strum) – you are using too much wrist motion to execute it. Remember, the attack comes from the “flick” of the index finger instead of the motion of the wrist.

Check out this video that I made for another member the other day which explains/demos this in greater detail:

andyrose – Well done, Andy! So I’d actually recommend the exact same advice I left right above for @miztaken. With this technique, you want to get a little bit more of that “flick” action happening.

beauke – Great job! So yesterday I made this video for another member. It had three tips in it, skip to the last one towards the end of the video. This last tip talks about wrist form. I want you to work on correcting that to align to what I covered in the video. After that, you’ll be rocking and rolling!

robinboyd – Sounds great, Robin! Technique looks good! I’d say, try to relax a little bit more so that you’re not so stiff when playing. And I think as you continue to practice, slow the tempo down and really focus on getting all of the chord hits correct. Some are all 4 strings, some are 3. Sometimes in these parts, you hit one or two notes. So focus in on that and you’ll get a fuller sound.

joe150

I am a premium member

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by joe150.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Andrew. Reason: Video Added
    zukulele

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.
    It’s been a year since I’ve submitted an entry. Juggling college and my jobs doesn’t leave much time for learning new material – so I came up with a fun solution.
    I gave myself a 10 minute time limit. I chose the easier song, watched Steven play it 2-3 times, ran through it twice, and then recorded it – all under 10 minutes. Fortunately, I was familiar with the technique. I wish I had time to perform the harder song, but this was a fun challenge, and I look forward to using this format again.
    *Sorry about the cheap mic audio quality*

ukandrea
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

(My submission is on page 13 and I forgot to write the premium member line).
    Andrea

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 13.

andracass – Welcome back, MT! And thank you for the kind words on the composition. Really appreciate it! I thought you did a great job overall! Well done with the sustain, sounds lovely 🙂

olemartin – Well done! Great job on the technique and it sounds fantastic overall. Keep up the great work!

torung – Well done! Technique looks great! At this point, I’d start pushing yourself to go a little bit faster. Try five or ten BPM faster than what you’re currently at. When that becomes comfortable, boost up the tempo again by the same incremental amounts.

misterbones – Wow, you’ve got some speed! And I loved the rhythmic variation you threw in there. Very creative and it fit perfectly! So your video – it’s a little bit blurry when watching the right hand technique – maybe you just played too fast for the camera lol! So it’s hard for me to tell if you’ve got the “flick” happening with the first hit (the strum). Double check this video and make sure that it lines up with how you’re doing the technique.

ukandrea – Nicely played! I’d say, try to get a little bit more “flick” in the strum attack. Check out the video I linked above for @misterbones for a more detailed explanation/demo of this. Other than that, keep working on the technique so that you don’t break the form like you did in the last A Melody. But overall, great job and keep up the great work!

willymac – First thought: Wow, that uke could sounds lovely. Second thought: That’s because of the player. Well done, Brian!

kirpuff – Bravo, Sara! The only thing I’d say is slow the tempo down so you can practice cleaning it up a little bit. But everything looks and sounds great, well done!

emiliano – I love the slow, then fast form. That and the changes you added – very creative! No worries on changing fingerings – we give the suggestions that work best for us, but sometimes it may not be best for your playing style. With where you’re at in your playing, I think you’ll intrinsically make the best choices. Keep up the good work, that was a fun performance to watch!

mademoiselleannette – Well done, and thank you for the kind words! So with this technique, you want the attack of the first hit (the strum) to come from the “flick” of the index finger, as opposed to the motion of the wrist – which is what a typical strum uses. Check out the video below that I made for another member. It explains this in greater detail.

pgoody – Well played, it sounds lovely! So from the angle of the camera, it’s hard for me to see if the first hit (the strum) is being executed with a flick of the index finger. So just double check that you’re doing it as described in this video 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

@ukandrea – got it!

@utemor
    – Well done! So I’d actually offer you the same feedback I left for @mademoiselleannette in the post above 🙂

@zukulele
    – Very impressive for 10 minutes, Zion! Well done and keep up the great playing!

@joe150
    – Well done, Joe! This is another month that you knocked it out of the park. Great job with the sustain, sounds beautiful. Only tip I have for you: Double check the form of the piece and try to get it memorized. Keep up the great work!

joe150

Thank you Andrew, I agree I working on the memorized part. Look forward to next November challenge.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Friendly Reminder – The deadline for receiving feedback and an entry into the giveaway is tonight at 11:59 PM EST (check your local time zone).

givingtree89

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

Phew, this one was rough for me. A very different style of playing, but I’m looking to master it soon!

miztaken
    Participant

Thanks for the kind feedback @andrew
    Yep, the wrist motion… I shall keep working on reducing it.
    (It is reassuring that you are “still learning the technique” too 😀 , it gives me more hope )

goody2shoes
    Participant

@steven Thanks for the feedback!

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.