Participate in the April 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Uke!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Uke!

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 305 total)
  • Author

I am a premium member!

This is only my third song.

robinboyd
    Participant

@hotmilktea – I have been playing for years now, and I still aspire to have the sort of feel that you have already.

ambre_uke92

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi ! I learned this song almost two years ago,so it’s been a while and it’s not perfect.. but I tried ! I couldn’t practice a lot because I’ve got my final exams coming soon, but anyway, here’s the video. Have a good day !

– Ambre

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by ambre_uke92.
    iyers408

I AM A PREMUM MEMBER.

This is played on a low-G ukulele as I do not have the high – G one. It seems like I should be able to play on a low-G with a couple of changes and sound better, but the basic is hard enough for me 🙂

I would have liked to play better in tempo, and I have slowed it down to about 60, but I guess my memory needs a little more time to catch up.

I joined this group as a premium member about a month ago. I really love the lessons and I think they will enable me to progress faster. I have been playing with the wonderful folks at the San Jose Ukulele Club Jam.

Link to the performance:

Thanks
    Shankar

mfaske
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER!

Here goes nothing! My first public performance. I just discovered this fantastic site last week – Signed up for a premium membership and crammed all weekend learning this song to earn an entry (or two!) into the April Contest. Looking forward to everything this site has to offer, and even more, looking forward to getting better!

skilshaw

Hey!

Here’s my first attempt at a Challenge. It’s taken a year to work up the courage to post, so here we go…

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

hotmilktea

hey@robinboyd Glad you like it! But actually I just admire your courage and ability to freely arrange the songs to your preferences. I just feel like too strict with my playing. Andrew suggested me to have more dynamics which was totally true. But this month’s challenge is too hard to think about dynamics. I only prey to play it through without too much mistakes.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by hotmilktea.
    sratica
    Participant

I really enjoy listening to the same three songs being played on so many different ukuleles. I would like to suggest that next month we all include the name of the ukulele and strings that we are using. What do you think?

Gaby
    Participant

@sratica – I like that idea! 🙂

gstriph
    Participant

Early in the month, I sent my Dream a little dream of me entry and got some feedback about phrasing and rhythm. Here’s the first stanza… so Andrew, is this what you were thinking about?

Thanks,
    Jerry

evevev

PREMIUM MEMBER
    Hi Andrew!
    Stand by me – This is my entry . Sorry for my shortcomings. I play since 10 months.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by evevev.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is everyone on page 8.

—-

cyukug – Absolutely beautiful! Excellent feel! I shared your performance on our social media last week. 🙂 Keep up the great work!

rickkhan – Wow! So much better! Intro and verses and bridge are excellent. Great feel, well paced. I’d focus your practice on the chorus. Slow it down and work to match the feel you have in the other sections.

uku_mom – Awesome playing and super pumped that you joined us for this challenge! Your playing is great, the only thing I’d suggest is playing it was a more relaxed feel. Check out this video I made for another member, Lisa, about this. Of course, this is just IMO. Your interpretation of the music and how you wish to play it is always up to you. 🙂

brenna – So cool! Love your interpretations!

morrieuke1 – Wow, Mike! Way to go! It’s awesome to watch your play, b/c I can tell that you put a ton of work into this! Honestly, the only thing I can suggest is to fully memorize it. That way you can focus on cleaning up some of the parts, like the transition at 1:16. It can be tricky doing jumps while following the sheet music.

noemie – That’s incredible for 1 year! Bravo! So here’s one area I’d work on: If you slow it down a bit, you’ll be able to better focus on getting more clarity out of the legato runs, for ex. the one at 50 seconds. One thing with this song, is that these runs mimic the vocal runs that he sings. So we want to aim for each note in the runs to ring true and to ring at the same volume.

You’ve got great technique and form, but this is a great example of how you can focus on the little things that make a big impact on the overall sound.

citznmag – That was excellent! Your notes have a beautiful, warm tone; and that’s something that takes awhile to achieve. Very impressive! So here’s what I would be focusing the most on: Follow the steps in our practice guide. It’s going to talk about breaking pieces into sections. So for example, 2 or 4 bar phrases. You want to work on only that small amount at a time. Focus on fluidity. Your notes sounds great, but we want the timing to be consistent and no pauses between phrases. Master those bars then work on the next 2 or 4 bars. Then connect them together. This is the best way to approach learning pieces.

One other area I want to touch on is barre chords. Check out this lesson and this one for tips on getting proper form in your left hand so that they ring true. It’s kind of hard for me to see your form from this angle. Do you mind for the next challenge, to shoot more direct on, so that I can see both hands clearly.

When you watch the second lesson I linked, it will talk about why barre chords do not ring clearly. And I think in your case it’s going to be because you’re not pressing down with enough force. It does not look like a form issue, but watch the lesson and it will go more in-depth with tips to help.

stinyuke – Well done! I made a video with a big tip for you. Here’s another lesson to check out that will help with using the right hand to mute unwanted strings.

jgallego – Awesome job! Here’s a video with my feedback for you. 🙂

gaevdl

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

My first challenge…don’t laugh or mock. It always comes back to bite you when you do.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@gaevdl – We are a very nurturing community. No hostility here 🙂

aquatopaz
    Participant

I am a Premium Member.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.