Participate in the April 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Uke!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile’a Tenor Uke!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 305 total)
  • Author
    malachi

Hey Andrew how many premium members and basic members do you have

miztaken
    Participant

Hey @malachi – I don’t think the question is relevant, it is Andrew’s business.

He gives us a really great platform to learn from.

marni11

Here is my entry. I did, “Dream a Little Dream of Me”, its a fun tune! 🙂 I was able to learn it in 3 days! It was an easy one.
    “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER”

rickeymike
    Participant

I need some help with the D7 chord that first appears in the 8th bar of Dream a Little.
    It’s difficult for me to have a straight index finger and be able to have a perpendicular middle finger to cleanly hit the 6th fret of the A string. I’m pressing so hard with my thumb under the board to keep my index straight that I’m pinching my thumb’s cuticle to the point of cuticle irritation.

Is there another fingering/chord that I could substitute?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Rickey, try to cut some notes out. Either of these would work, pick the one you like most:

1) X655
    2) X6X5
    3) XX55

rickeymike
    Participant

Great, Andrew! Thanks for the alternatives. All those should work!

malachi

Miztaken I didn’t think he would mind, but it doesn’t matter.

bzediver

Hi Andrew. Im trying to understand the sheets for Dream a Little Dream of Me. At the top it shows a 1/4 note = 90. Am I reading that correctly? Seems kind of fast (if Im reading it correctly).
    Thanks

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi @bzediver. I just played it with a metronome set to 90bpm and it seems about right to me.

bzediver

Thanks Robinboyd. I was trying to figure out how fast it was being played in the example video. It seemed much slower than 90 to me. As a brand new player I would be happy to get to about 60. 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

marni11 – Beautiful playing, Marni, and very impressive getting it learned in 3 days! I think your next goal should be to memorize it. Memorizing will also help with getting the tempo to flow a little smoother, as you’re not having to check back and forth with where you are at on the sheet music.

And for those who are reading this feedback, here is why it’s so important to memorize.

@bzediver
    – 60 is a great tempo to play it at 🙂

planetfink
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

This was the hardest thing I have ever played on ukulele. I tend to say that every time I learn a new piece here, I guess that means I keep challenging myself. After playing various instruments (mostly wind instruments) for many years, I have finally learned how to practice (play small parts at a time, play SLOWLY). It’s ironic, my late husband was a piano teacher and I heard him tell this to students for years. But if I was learning something new, I would play it close to full speed badly until I got it (sort of). He would be pleased I finally got the message. I hear his voice telling me to slow down when I start screwing up. The piece still needs work, but this is the cleanest recording I’ve got so far.

bzediver

RE: “Dream” at 60 bps. I’ve almost got melody A to 40. The change to the D7 bar at 40 bps is kicking my butt though. :0

marni11

Andrew,
    Thanks so much for the feedback! I always try to memorize songs that I learn. It seems like it takes me longer than a month to memeorize it, so I’m still working on it. If I have it memorized before the month is up I will do an updated video! 🙂 I’ve been practicing on it everyday though!

-I’ve kinda put the song on my backburner for now… XD I’ve been trying to learn Johnny B. Goode, and since it is not quite my level its taking me longer! 😛 I’ve already gotten the first page to speed, and memorized in a week! So I’m pretty proud of myself! XD

carmeloukes
    Participant

Not my final submission, but throwing it into my practice framework.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 305 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.