Participate in the April 2020 Member Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2020 Member Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 345 total)
  • Author
    Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 13:

sgorsuch – Great job! You’re almost there: You have the right idea on the timing with the triplets and the other sections, you just seem to speed up on certain sections. I recommend playing along to the backing track to help you feel where you have the tendency to speed up. The notes sound great, and you have the right idea, now it’s just about keeping a steady tempo throughout. Keep up the great work!

egeluz – Nice job, but please post a complete song. I recommend Day-O for beginners. Thank you!

amandali – You are doing a wonderful job, especially for under a month! My main piece of advice for you is to play with the backing track or a metronome to keep the tempo consistent. You’re playing the notes great, and you basically have the rhythm right, now it’s just time to develop a steady pulse throughout. Keep up the great work…this is phenomenal for how short you’ve been playing!

hawaiihaze – I really enjoyed the quiet nature sounds in the background of your video. It makes me want to go to Hawaii! Very nice relaxed playing on this one! My only very small suggestion on this one is that the rhythm in measure 2 is a tiny bit different: the last note starts on an upbeat rather than the down beat. I see that you are adding some vibrato to the note before it, so if this is intentional, that’s ok. I just wanted to point it out to make sure you know you were changing the rhythm. Great playing on this one!

miztaken – You get a wonderful sound out of that ukulele with those strings! Very nice playing on this one! Now that you have the notes and rhythm down, you can go back and exaggerate the tempo swells and dynamics (I like crescendoing into each phrase) to add some depth to the emotion of the piece. It sounds great as it is, this is just an added challenge if you would like.

andracass – You’re off to a great start on this! You are doing a great job on the notes, with just a few hesitations to work out. On the triplet strum, make sure to start right on beat two and space the 3 parts of this technique out evenly. Right now you are starting the first strum a tiny bit early which makes the rhythm more of a 16th note feel (one a two and three) instead of the triplet feel ( one two-a-lit three). Other than this, you are doing a very good job!

juanita – Very nicely played! It seems like the only spot giving you a tiny bit of trouble is the notes in measure 6. For now, play a tiny bit slower on the intro to really get these notes down in order. You’ve got the rhythm on this part, it’s time to work the notes up to speed gradually. Very well done!

andyrose – Wonderful job, especially for your first challenge entry! It seems like the only section that gave you any trouble was the transition from bar 34 to 35. Looking ahead just slightly while playing and practicing this one spot a few extra times should be all you need on this one. Keep up the great work!

camifromtherfarpatagonia – You are off to a great start on this! You have the notes down, there are just a few spots where you are hesitating slightly. Try playing just a tiny bit slower to give you time to shift to some of the chords/remember which one comes next. Even though this song is meant to have a loose tempo, it might still be a good idea to play through it with a metronome a few times to see where you are pausing. Great work on this one!

kellyblackburn
    Participant

Hone A Ka Wai. I found this song awkward and more difficult than I thought. This is the best I could do. PREMIUM MEMBER!

wongbrown

I am a premium member.

This is my second entry for Day-O. I have added backbeat and melody but just realised I have done it all wrong. The hit and the melody did not come at the same time😟 I think I will redo the entire piece again but since today is the deadline. I have to submit it anyway. Thanks.

Steven
    Participant

@goody2shoes Excellent job! Really nicely played 🙂

riley_ukulele
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by riley_ukulele.
    marksearles
    Participant

jayton
    Participant

Hi all!
    Love the challenge and I learned a lot with Hone A Ka Wai!
    Here is my entry as a Premium Member

JJ

charlie3

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

I struggled a little with this and don’t have a printer at home so found it difficult to follow the tabs! Hoping I can improve for the next challenge.

miztaken
    Participant

thanks Stephen, I shall work on the tempo swells and dynamics as suggested (plus up my speed eventually).
    Great feedback, it will definitely make it prettier.

debb1985

@Stephen Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely work on it 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by debb1985.
    lhamilton
    Participant

Thanks, Stephen! I really enjoyed learning Hone a Ka Wai and will keep working on that 9th measure. I played it for my son last night and was interested to learn that it’s in the new Fallout 76 game.

Linda

cyukug
    Participant

@Stephen Thanks for the feedback!!

bklynsoul
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I would have preferred to get this in sooner but here it is. I worked a little more with a metronome after Stephen’s comments from last month and went over the finger frenzies many, many times. I look forward to any comments for improvement.

katariin
    Participant

I am a premium member.

Hone A Ka Wai.
    I love this peace, and i love playing it,
    although its not easy for me at all. Yet😊

rufio0

Aloha,

Here is my submission…I really enjoyed learning this song..

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 345 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.