Participate in the December 2020 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the December 2020 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    hiloukes
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback Andrew πŸ™‚ I will try to be more patient about that h/o p/o lick. And the barre chord was really challenging to me so thank you so much for advices!

rebeca
    Participant

@Andrew – Thank you for your kind words! I really appreciate your feedback πŸ™‚

marianne
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback @Andrew! I agree that slower is nicer. Initially I was playing it slower but upon recording it about a 100 times because I would make errors everytime, I found myself speeding up unconsciously. Perhaps in my mind I thought that by speeding up I would more likely avoid an error? πŸ™‚

johanna2509
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi all!

Recorded Deck the Halls yesterday. I hesitated a bit at Melody C, but I decided to upload it anyway and continue practicing the hammer on pull off riff with the feedback πŸ™‚
    Barring the first fret on my tenor uke is harder than on my concert ukes… another thing I have to work on.

Happy Holidays everyone πŸ™‚

Andrew
    Keymaster

@johanna2509 – Sounds great, Johanna! Glad you saw the previous feedback video on h/o & p/o. Those tips should help you. I’d also say to hammer-on a little bit harder, it doesn’t look/sound like your connecting through enough. Baseball analogy: swing through the pitch. Same thing here – the finger needs to come down with enough force to get the note to ring clear πŸ™‚

johanna2509
    Participant

Thank you for the feedback! Yep I saw the video, but I still have to figure out the right amount of force so that all notes ring out equally πŸ™‚ My hammer-on was also way too loud in the beginning.
    I guess my family has to hear this song a little more often hihi.

lakeside339
    Participant

I’m hoping I can post a question here to get some help. Specifically I’m working on Carol of the bells so this is a problem I have in general. In this case particularly starting on bar 25 I find that when I moved to the second set of eighth notes (3rd fret hammer onto the fourth fret on the third string), my fingers leaving the fourth string make a noise as I take my fingers off – not quite like a pull off but still audible. Same thing as I move to the second string and remove my fingers from the third string. Any tips for how to keep your fingers from creating noise on the strings you are taking your fingers off of? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen other people mention struggling with this sort of thing but I don’t remember if any tips have been given. Thanks for any help. Anyone 😁

Andrew
    Keymaster

@lakeside339 – that’s normal, nothing to worry about it πŸ™‚ BUT – you can minimize the unwanted string noise by using the palm of the right hand to touch the string after your play the final note of the phrase and move downwards to the third string (and same for 3 to 2, etc).

I talked about this concept in greater detail in this lesson.

nthibode

Hi @lakeside339! Sometimes I use the palm/fingers of my right hand to mute strings after I play them, but I also learned this tip when I was trying to solve the same problem:

Not sure if it’ll help you in this particular situation, but it might help with your playing in the long run.

rickeymike
    Participant

Hi @lakeside339, I’ve found that natural oil/sweat on the finger will keep the finger on that string just a milli second longer to produce the unwanted noice. Make sure that your fingers are completely dry, maybe use some talc on the fingers.

shmu88
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hello everyone!

After maaaany takes and many days of trying to get it perfectly, I was starting to feel frustrated as my iPhone video storage was getting fuller and fuller, and I decided to end my attempts and just relax. So here is the best of the bad takes. Not fully happy with it, especially unwanted string sounds and my tempo (in my defense, the extra weight of my furry friend at the top of the neck was challenging lol)… but if I look at my first year at Rockclass101, I’m happy with my progress and I enjoy learning from you guys so much. Thanks Andrew and all of your crew for this wonderful year (except Evan…I have a love and hate relationship with you…haha just kidding you are awesome). See you next year! Merry Christmas everyone!!

Sam

andyrose
    Participant

Hi Andrew – Just letting you know that I’ve sent US$50 to the Uke Kids Club. Hope to have my video of Deck the Halls ready in a few days . . . .

lakeside339
    Participant

Andrew, Nathalie and Rickeymike – thanks everyone for the good tips. Nathalie- I’d actually been trying to do that before I wrote my post but it was not smooth and was very slow – thanks for the reminder that practice makes a difference! Andrew- I’ll try doing more muting with my right hand, too

sebaraedo
    Participant

Hello everyone!

Here’s my rendition of the song Deck The Halls after practicing it for about two weeks. Thank you very much Matt for the master class you gave us and thank you very much @Andrew for making these contests possible!
    I hope with all my heart to win that beautiful Ukulele!
    Merry Christmas to all!

Sebastian.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by sebaraedo.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@shmu88 – Aced it, Sam! Great feel – and a lot of that comes from relaxing while playing πŸ™‚

I have no critics really – but I do have a comment. The B Melody has some open string chords with the 4th and 3rd open. When I was practicing I found it hard to hit the chord and not let that C string dominate the sound (for ex: 1:08 in your video). That’s the only thing I’d suggest working on.

@sebaraedo
    – Wonderfully played, bravo!

@andyrose
    – TY so kindly for your donation, you rock!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 219 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.