Participate in the December 2020 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the December 2020 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    cncamacho
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

Here’s one of hundred of cuts I’ve done of Carol of the Bells. Not perfect but I am pleased I was able to get up to 100% speed. Working on dynamics now and smoothing out some transitions. Thanks for listening.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by cncamacho.
    qiuyan
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

Here’s my recording of Deck the Halls. There was a mistake in bar 14 (the pinky moved to E string a bit too early) and I slightly panicked for a bar or two, but I managed to not drop there 🙂

Thanks to the teachers and the great community at RockClass101 in the past year! And happy holidays everyone!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by qiuyan.
    cinichol
    Participant

Just wondering–how many of you guys memorize the songs each month? It’s what I’ve been doing sort of by default, but it sure is a slower process. It finally dawned on me while practicing “Carol the Bells” this month that I might just read the music while recording myself. (I learned “Uke Blues #2” in Sept. and “Puff” in Nov., but didn’t get them in on time because memorizing took so long. I think I’ll still post them for the heck of it when I post “Carol the Bells” soon.)

Is memorizing part of the monthly challenge?

robinboyd
    Participant

@cinichol – I memorise it, but a peculiarity of my brain is that I find it relatively easy to memorise music (not lyrics, though) and relatively difficult to sight read, so by the time I can play it smoothly while reading the tab, I have memorised it anyway. I know that this isn’t the case for everyone, though, and there are people who read the tabs while they are playing for these competitions. Andrew will tell you that it is infinitely better to memorise (actually, he would say “memorize” because he is American ;)), but I know don’t think you have to.

pippin105

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is my December entry, Deck The Halls, very slow, as usual !

lisadmh
    Participant

@cinichol. I memorize them these days because it usually comes pretty easy to me, but it certainly didn’t at the beginning. I used to read the sheets for challenges. I think memorization is a thing to strive toward, but don’t let it prevent you from entering the challenges. If you need to read, nobody will judge you (except maybe Andrew, lolol, but he’ll understand too).

cinichol
    Participant

@robinboyd and @lisadmh, thank you! Very helpful. Where I struggle a bit are particular sections, like the first part of “Carol of the Bells.” So many small changes! Stephen mentions a later part as difficult, but for me it’s way easier (memory-wise) because of all the dramatic change-ups.

ukandrea
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi Andrew, here comes my performance of “Hanukkah, Oh Hanukkah”.
    It is cut together out of my first two recording attempts, sorry for that.
    I was happy with my third attempt and ended recording and only realized later that I had forgotten to press play (arrggh).
    Sorry my time window for recording possibilities in natural daylight is very narrow with working, kids in quarantine and lockdown just switching from light to hard.

Stay all healthy!!!

robinboyd
    Participant

@cinichol – I found it helped to learn the C and G strings separately from the other bits for that section. It helped me make sense of the progression.

cinichol
    Participant

Interesting, @robinboyd. I’ll take a look at that!

gstriph
    Participant

I am a premium member.

It’s amazing how much better I sound til I hit the record button LOL.. Here’s my take of Carol of the Bells – I really liked this arrangement.

Jerry

jlbross
    Participant

I have doing carol of the bells but some parts didn’t sound right. I thought I wonder if this is supposed to be done on a low G uke? Sure enough, it is. Bummer.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@cncamacho – Sounds great overall! I’d suggest working on timing. Try 4 bars at a time. Get 1-4 down with perfect timing. Then 5-8. Then go back and do 1-8. Continue the rest of the song with this approach 🙂

@qiuyan
    – Here is my feedback for you.

@pippin105
    – Well played! One tip: Keep your index finger barred for the first two bars of Theme 2. How you’re playing it now requires less finger strength, but it actually makes that passage more difficult to play because your left hand has to do a lot more movement. I think where you’re at right now with speed is great, try five or ten BPM faster as you continue to work on it. When that becomes comfortable, bump it up another 5 or 10.

@ukandrea
    – Sounds great, Andrea! A little bit more practice and you’ll have it in one take 🙂

@gstriph
    – Here is my feedback for you.

cauer2

December member challenge.

I am a premium member

Well, I guess the files were too large. I tried twice already to explain the attempt at this song, but the video probably says it all. I really loved this arrangement Matt; very cool. I wish I had more time to do it proper, but I had to trade that Uke in today for a guitar for my oldest daughters birthday gift. She’s excited so, I’m happy cause’ she’s 15 today, and if anyone has a 15yo daughter, you know what I mean. Merry Christmas All.

robinboyd
    Participant

Hey Chris, does that mean you are ukeless at the moment?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 219 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.