December 1, 2020 at 12:09 pm #42680
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #45 AND for the 4th year in a row, we are teaming up with The Ukulele Kids Club. They are a charity that is doing amazing things! Their mission is to harness the healing power of music by supporting music therapy programs and gifting ukuleles to hospital-based music therapy programs so that children in need can be sent home with the gift of music for life.
Over the last 3 years, our community came together and raised OVER $4,500 USD! Enough to donate 112 ukuleles to children in need! This year, we’re doing it again! Here’s how it will work:
I will be donating $7 for each entry that comes in this month, up to $500. So that means, our participation goal for this month is 72 members.
I also want to go a step further and ask that if you have the means available to please make a donation. Any amount helps, but our community is LARGER and STRONGER than the previous years and I believe we can help bring a smile to A LOT of kids! Our donation goal for this year is to raise $1,500 USD for the charity! That would be enough money to purchase 37 ukuleles at $40 a piece. If you do donate, please let me know! When you submit your audio or video performance, please leave a message saying that you did. 🙂 Or, if you wish to remain anonymous, please email me.
You can donate directly on their site: https://theukc.org/donations/. This donation page supports U.S. Hospitals. If you live in Canada, U.K., Japan, Mexico, France, Dominican Republic, or Taiwan please contact them for further instructions on how to donate to a specific region: email@example.com.
Here is a short video which dives deeper into some of the great work The Ukulele Kids Club is doing 🙂
We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a Islands Series Ukulele! This concert sized model features the Hawaiian Islands inlayed on the soundboard in Pāua (Abalone) and retails at $1,834 USD.
I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 2,100+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 Rock Class 101 Holiday Lessons:
1) Carol of the Bells * – This arrangement uses double stops, strategically placed chords, and movement to create a memorable performance of a classic Christmas song.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE! (REQUIRES LOW G UKULELE)
2) Deck the Halls * – A unique take on a classic Christmas carol.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
3) The Christmas Song – This fingerstyle arrangement is an elegant adaption of a timeless Christmas song.
4) Hanukkah, Oh Hanukkah * – This traditional Hanukkah song can be played at a quick or slow tempo. Both sound equally great!
* Taught in its entirety for FREE! Premium Members have EARLY ACCESS to this lesson and arrangement. It will be released on 12/4. (REQUIRES LOW G UKULELE)
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner to Intermediate Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: Carol of the Bells OR Hanukkah, Oh Hanukkah
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: Deck the Halls OR The Christmas Song
3. Participation Goal: 72 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1A. TO QUALIFY FOR THE GIVEAWAY: Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 Holiday pieces anytime between Tuesday, December 1st till Wednesday, December 23rd, 11:59pm EST. Please check your current local time zone. This month will be a hard cut-off. Submittals past the deadline will NOT be counted.
1B. You may continue to submit between December 23rd to December 31st, although your entry WILL NOT count for the giveaway prize. The cutoff for feedback is December 23rd, as our team will be taking the rest of the year off. Furthermore, I will be making our donation to The UKC on December 30th.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and paste the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our October Challenge: Triplet Strum Magic!
Second Chance: Participate in our November Challenge: Fantasy Themed!
Third Chance: Participate in our December Challenge: Holiday Themed!
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On Christmas Eve (December 24th at 12 PM EST), I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize. You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of December and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
1) $1,834 Grand Prize! Includes:
OUR 4 PREVIOUS KANILE’A WINNERS! WILL YOU BE NEXT?
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED!
Islands Concert Ukulele
Deluxe Curly Koa body
Hawaiian Islands inlay on soundboard in Pāua (Abalone)
Tortoise front binding
Solid Mahogany neck
Ebony fingerboard, bridge, and head plate
Standard Kanile`a Crown headstock
Kanile`a open geared tuners
Ebony bridge pins
NuBone nut and saddle
Pāua (Abalone) position markers and logo
UV cured finish
Other Features: Includes a semi-rigid pro case by Music Arena
Taimane has just launched her merch store and she sent me 2 sets of items to give away! Check out the video below to find out how to win!
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!December 1, 2020 at 12:24 pm #42682lisadmhParticipant
I am a premium member.
I’ve been working on the Deck the Halls arrangement since it came out. I love the arrangement, but like many members, I made a few tweaks to make it my own. Just a few key melody notes are tweaked to make it something I enjoy playing.
It’s also my first song to feature my new uke, with amplification for the first time. Interesting experience, that is.
December 1, 2020 at 12:43 pm #42683debb1985Participant
- This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by lisadmh.
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been working on Deck the Halls and had a chance to record it over Thanksgiving in a setting other than a corner in an upstairs bedroom lol. I can’t wait to also start on The Christmas Song. It has been a year since I started Rockclass 101 and I have grown and learned so much since then! Thank you Andrew and the rest of the Rockclass team! Happy Holidays everyone! I also donated to the wonderful cause!
December 1, 2020 at 1:39 pm #42686brettboyParticipant
- This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by debb1985.
Happy Holidays Ukulele friends 🙂 I just donated $25 to Ukulele Kids Club. Last week I started working on The Christmas Song. This arrangement rules. I’m loving all the cool chords and harmonies. Thanks Rockclass101 Team!December 1, 2020 at 1:44 pm #42687
Thank you for your donations Brett and Debb!! Debb, please email me with the amount donated as I’m keeping a tally of how much we raise 🙂December 1, 2020 at 2:42 pm #42691deadbuggyParticipant
I donated $50 to the Ukulele Kids Club. Here’s my rendition of Deck the Halls. Thanks, Andrew and crew, for a great year of lessons!December 1, 2020 at 3:18 pm #42698nthibodeParticipant
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
Happy December! I donated $40 to the Ukulele Kids Club. Here is my recording of Carol of the Bells.
Now onto The Christmas Song — one of my favorites! Take care everyone 🙂December 1, 2020 at 4:49 pm #42700kelsey91Participant
Hello! So I actually am not a fan of the song choices this month – I guess I like happier and more traditional Christmas songs. 😄 Looks like I may need to get a low G!
But I do have a $25 visa gift card. Is it possible to use this to donate to the kids club?
Thanks !December 1, 2020 at 4:51 pm #42701December 2, 2020 at 8:53 am #42702luizaveitParticipant
Ok, I have to get myself a set of low g strings :). I like the Low G pieces.December 2, 2020 at 12:30 pm #42703
And here’s the intro lesson for doing H/O and P/O Technique for anyone that needs it.
@deadbuggy – Well done, Sara! I like the changes you threw in there! TY for you donation!!
@nthibode – Bravo! I sent it to Steven, I’m sure he’ll love it 🙂 TY for you donation!!December 2, 2020 at 1:25 pm #42704StevenParticipant
I do love it! Awesome job Nathalie – really great performance, and you nailed those harmonics 😀👍December 2, 2020 at 2:48 pm #42706lisadmhParticipant
Thanks for the feedback Andrew. I’ll go back to try to clean up that H/O-P/O lick. It is the crux of the whole song and deserves to be clean.December 2, 2020 at 4:36 pm #42707December 2, 2020 at 6:42 pm #42708
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.