Participate in the January 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Mainland Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the January 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Mainland Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    leb397
    Participant

I really took a chance trying Etude 16 as a challenge this month. I struggled getting the rhythm of the pull-off bluegrass melody. (I blew it) You just have to “hear” it because replaying the lesson (100 times!), it’s not until you increase the speed that you start to understand. I didn’t get it right 🙁 and I wish I had the time to correct or relearn but this snowbird is flying south for a bit…
    I used IMOVIE to upload the base rhythm separately… more technology.
    I can’t say enough how important the Playback and Looping tools are for increasing speed and practice. I managed to nail the ending but couldn’t get a clean video entry with camera jitters.
    Kudos to all the entries – lovely playing.
    Thanks Andrew – another great challenge Louisa

marianne
    Participant

Happy new year all!

Here is my rendition of the (beautiful) Fingerpicking Etude No.6:

I am happy with it in the sense that it’s been a busy month for me so I only had 2 days to learn it and an extra day to practice it in total! Sorry for the couple rougher spots.
    I also had to adapt it to work on my baritone with a lower G, so I changed a couple spots where possible in terms of fingering/strings to hit.

@Andrew
    , I found it also easier to place the first finger under the second finger for the first chord of measures 3 and 7 following that by a slide of the first finger down by half for the second chord (rather than that painful bar). Hope that’s ok!

june2020

leb397: thank you so much!

marlongas
    Participant

While I’m fighting with the melody b from Etude #12, I try to relax by playing this tune. I haven’t thrown the ukulele out the window yet, so it works!!! I’m a premium member

marlongas
    Participant

I had to make cuts because I recorded the melodies A and C in a couple of takes while for the melody B I needed a couple of thousand takes. Even so,I accidentally deleted the best audio take and this is the best I recorded. It’s the hardest thing I’ve learned so far on the ukulele and I have a feeling it would take another month of playing it daily for it to sound smoothly.I also needed to record with the metronome because otherwise it’s impossible for me to play it well. Thank you!!

mepasha
    Participant

Hey Andrew,
    Thanks for all you do. Recently became a member of RC101 and am stoked to be here. Here’s my submission for this month’s challenge. I’m happy with my progress given a week ago I couldn’t even manage the right hand pattern 😛
    Cheers,
    Peter

Andrew
    Keymaster

@june2020 – Bravo, June! This is one of your best performances to date! My only advice is to practice with a metronome. Work on one melody at a time. And focus on connecting each phrase while avoiding pauses in between.

@leb397
    – That was awesome, Louisa! Keep doing what you’re doing, it’s working! And TY for the kind words 🙂

@marianne
    – Wow! I can’t believe that’s only 3 days of practice. Phenomenal playing and your tone is fantastic! And totally cool on the fingering change!

I’m gonna share your performance in our newsletter tomorrow 🙂

@marlongas
    – #3 was beautifully played!

You aced the tempo, timing, and feel with the B melody in #12. Very impressive! The other 2 melodies were well played too. Love seeing you guys challenge yourselves with hard pieces. Keep up the great work, Carlos!

@mepasha
    – The picking pattern is a bit uncommon with this etude. Which adds to the challenging aspect of it, but also makes it fun to learn as it’s unique. You played it beautifully. Keep up the great work, Peter!

marlongas
    Participant

Thank you so much @Andrew. I started with the Etude#3 but I like to challenge myself and the picking pattern of the melody B was a big big challenge. Anyway,I know I can do it better and I know that the only key is play as much time as I can…

richo_uke
    Participant

Hello Uke players,

since I couldn’t spend that much time on the bluegrass piece this month, so it has become etude no. 3.
    Despite several attempts to deliver a flawless recording, I can now only present this chopped version. Andrew, what can I do to play this piece smoothly and fluently?
    Thanks for having a beginner-friendly piece to choose from.
    Best wishes
    Rici

marianne
    Participant

Oooh thank you so much @Andrew!! ☺️☺️
    Beautiful arrangement as always

brettboy
    Participant

Hi Uke Stars!

Here is my video for the fun and excellent tune: Fingerpicking Etude No. 6

[I’m a premium member]

Andrew
    Keymaster

@richo_uke – You played it beautifully! Try practicing at a slower tempo to a click and gradually bringing it back up to the current tempo.

@brettboy
    – Wow the uke on the second take really gives it a haunting vibe. I dig it! Great playing on both takes, Brett!

leb397
    Participant

@Andrew, thank you, as always, for the encouragement. This “closet” uke player is full of doubt but I’ll keep chugging along.
    Look forward to your new lesson on classical music.
    So many great entries this month!!!
    Louisa

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, agreed, SOooo excited for that classical course. I… I put it on my calendar. 😅😭 It’s going to be amazing.

Everyone did such an amazing job on these ‘tudes!

leb397
    Participant

@brettboy you are so entertaining! You just make me smile 🙂 Love second take and cool uke stickers! Louisa

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 138 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.