July 1, 2020 at 11:42 am #39296
Hi Rock Class 101 Community! We are back with site member challenge #40! WOW, there has now been over 1,800+ members participating in our challenges!
If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. And I offer feedback on ALL submissions! 🙂
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 Vintage Tunes:
1) “Yankee Doodle” * – An American classic, this arrangement builds upon the melody by harmonizing it via double stops (playing 2 notes at once). * Taught in its entirety for FREE!
2) “12th Street Rag” – This fun, vintage-esque ukulele song will help develop your rhythm playing. This song uses three of the four strumming techniques which are taught in our Strumming Course titled: Beyond the Island Strum.
3) “The Entertainer” – One of the most famous piano compositions to come out of the Ragtime era.
4) “Freight Train” – A vintage-esque uke tune, this arrangement is filled with catchy melodies and challenging rhythmic work.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “Yankee Doodle”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece (from easier to harder): “12th Street Rag”, “The Entertainer”, OR “Freight Train”
3. Participation Goal: 50 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 Vintage Tunes anytime between Wednesday, July 1st till Friday, July 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD. This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing on August 5th, 2020. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
1) $250 Grand Prize! Includes:
* You must choose a ukulele within this price range. Store credit will not be an alternative prize.
THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!July 1, 2020 at 1:03 pm #39299b_ukes_101Participant
Wowee! I think I’m going to do freight train and I already know the uke I want if I win!!! Can’t wait!July 2, 2020 at 6:57 am #39308samash07Participant
I’ve learned Yankee Doodle but that last tapped Harmonics is sooooo difficult, I just can’t seem to nail it even after doing the course. Natural & Artificial I can do fine.July 2, 2020 at 11:50 am #39318
A ragged performance of 12th Street Rag on the teeny-tiny uke. Thanks Andrew and Christopher for this lesson. I’ve always wanted to be able to play a passable version of this song!July 2, 2020 at 11:50 am #39319b_ukes_101Participant
Uh oh…I’m in the one finger rut!! I can only play with my thumb otherwise it feels weird I’m going to take the fingerpicking course lol. (It’s really hard to play even the intro to freight train with just your thumb)July 2, 2020 at 12:43 pm #39320coffeemugParticipant
Deadbuggy, what took you so long to post?July 2, 2020 at 12:56 pm #39321
Tee-Hee!July 2, 2020 at 1:40 pm #39323rucha11Member
Alright ! I am excited to be here and do my best .
Although I really can’t take the ukulele even if I win but I am going to participate anyway .
All the best guys!!July 2, 2020 at 10:20 pm #39342
@deadbuggy – I love the change at 50 seconds! You have the most creative variations 🙂 And this was super well played. Triplet strum sounds fantastic. Great job this month!July 3, 2020 at 6:00 am #39344sir_anzalotParticipant
I’m out this time to recover from tendonitis I acquired last month. Wish everyone who participates hella fun 🙂
And wow @deadbuggy really nice Work!July 3, 2020 at 7:24 am #39347audreyrozowykwiatlucieParticipant
I am trying to learn Yankee doodle.
This is not my submission for the month, but just a question in Video.
I only play bar 1 in this video.
(I am a premium member)July 3, 2020 at 7:26 am #39349
Thank you so much, Andrew and Sir!July 3, 2020 at 3:15 pm #39365
Hi Audrey, please watch this video and I’d highly encourage you to jump into our Beginner’s Course. 🙂July 3, 2020 at 3:27 pm #39366audreyrozowykwiatlucieParticipant
Thank you very much Andrew. I will try to do that and succeed with my right hand.
Yes, I am currently in the beginner course, in the chapter Learning to Pick & Strum.
I have to follow long with Module 3 : Overview of the Left Hand and Module 4 : Overview of the right hand.July 4, 2020 at 7:19 pm #39390gmflin8Member
Questions on Yankee Doodle 🙂 Thanks
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.