Participate in the July 2020 Member Challenge – Theme: Vintage Tunes!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the July 2020 Member Challenge – Theme: Vintage Tunes!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 189 total)
  • Author
    willymac
    Participant

@Andrew. Thanks, I’ll try a set of those nails. Although, they look a lot like the ones I use. I think mine look so prominent in the video because I put white surgical tape on the back of them because the edge of the nail next to the cutical was sometimes hooking the strings. Covering it with tape solved it. But unfortunately, when I tape something, by gum, it stays taped. I might have overdid the taping a bit. 🙂

I had never heard of Dave Kear before. He’s incredible, thanks for the recommendation. Hey you should arrange his version of “If I Only Had a Brain” for Ukulele and use all those fun strumming patterns in it. That song sounds tailor made for those style strums.

debb1985

Thanks @Stephen for the feedback!

patparr
    Participant

Hi.
    Here is my attempt at “The entertainer”.
    I am a premium member since a few months, beginner on ukulele.
    This video is not my best shot, every time I start to record I become nervous and do mistakes.
    I will work on that, to try to forget the camera. 😉
    Oh also, you will notice one detail.
    I am practicing songs such as Bohemian and Careless whispers. Since I did not want to change my string all the time to play the entertainer, played it with low G. As you know these other songs use a low G.
    One more reason for me to participate to the challenge this month, to win a 2nd ukulele for high G. 🙂

I hope my attempt will still sounds good to your ears and will be eligible for the challenge. 😉

maryjanew
    Participant

@Andrew – Thanks! Yes, I know I have some hesitation in those spots. I’m continuing to play the tune from memory but I still have a few spots where I’m missing it. It’s a nice short tune which is great for me to work my bad “short” term memory! It is improving though. I know with repetition, I will get smoother at playing and maybe someday, be able to play Yankee Doodle up to speed. I’ll repost if I get there before the end of July!
    I would have loved to try 12th Street Rag, but I don’t have a clue how to do that strumming!! I will go through Chris’s course on Strumming. He is awesome. I love to watch and listen to him play those old jazz tunes.

johanna2509
    Participant

Thank you Stephen! I don’t know what I’ve done different this time, but I noticed that the video is really quiet… I hope the next one will be loud again.

janett75

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
    Hi everyone here is my attempt at 12th Street Rag. Its different to anything I’ve tried to play before with lots of new techniques. At the start of the month I didn’t think my hands wanted to co-operate with each other but they are slowly getting there.

gstriph
    Participant

I am a premium member.

I was working on 12th street rag but never got there so decided to learn Yankee Doodle.

Hope everyone is staying well.

Jerry

moto93

Here’s my Yankee Doodle. I’ve only been playing for a month or so! I couldn’t get the last harmonic so I just strummed the chord twice. It is so finicky!

laurakarr12
    Participant

I AM A PRIME MEMBER. “YANKEE DOODLE”

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by laurakarr12.
    laurasil
    Participant

lhamilton
    Participant

I am a premium member.

Hi,

Here’s my 12th Street Rag —

Linda

lhamilton
    Participant

I am a premium member.

And here is my The Entertainer —

Linda

ccwuke
    Participant

Here’s my entry this month – The Entertainer. Enjoyed learning this one, so did my work colleagues who I heard humming the tune after I played it during a lunch break 🙂

Chris

andrewvh
    Participant

This is the best take I could get of the Entertainer. There is a statistical probability of getting my right and left hand in to place at the right time to play the harmonics, which is improving but unfortunately for this take I missed the last note, just like last month.

@Stephen
    Thanks for the feedback last month, about my incorrect timing. I’d been practicing the tune incorrectly for so long it sounded right.

nthibode

And here is another entry of The Entertainer. Keep up the good work everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 189 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.