Participate in the July 2020 Member Challenge – Theme: Vintage Tunes!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the July 2020 Member Challenge – Theme: Vintage Tunes!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 189 total)
  • Author
    laurasil
    Participant

@nthibode beautifully played as usual!

nthibode

Thanks @laurasil. You as well! 🙂

eszti5mail
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Yankee doodle with my best effort 🙂

I’m a premium member

rickeymike
    Participant

Nat: I’ll buy a copy of that recording!

lissid
    Participant

My submission of Yankee Doodle! I am a beginner of 3 months so this song was a great way to practice those tricky double stops. I am still working on my right hand form, something I noticed even more when recording myself ha. I love the end harmonic but I am still working on the timing so that it rings out. Thanks Andrew for another awesome challenge this month!

samash07
    Participant

Here’s my attempt at Yankee Doodle, haven’t been playing regularly for the last few months so I’m kinda rusty and slipped up in my tempo afew times. Those tapped harmonics are so difficult! I just substituted for a normal one.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by samash07.
    stianukulele

Hi, this is my genre, also a patreon at Christopher Davis-Shannon, great teacher!
    Love 12street Rag!

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 8:

patparr – You’re off to a great start! I know that recording is tough and creates a lot of nervousness and anxiety. We usually try to play things faster when we feel this way, leading to more trouble in the song. I would recommend practicing the song at a much slower speed. This way you have time to think about what’s coming next as well as to give each note a clear intention. Try 75% of the speed you played this at. Keep going, you’re doing great!

janett75 – Nicely done! It sounds like it’s coming together nicely! Just a little bit more work towards the end and you’re super close! One thing to work on a bit is staying in time at 0:57 to 1:02. These stops have a specific amount of space between each one, and counting this section will keep the flow of the whole song continuous. Keep up the great work!

gstriph – Good job on this one! You’ve got the notes and the harmonics down, but I notice some hesitations getting to the first harmonic and between the 2 main sections of the song. Once you have these transitions down, you’ve got the whole piece performance ready. Great job on this one!

moto93 – You’re very close on this one! Now it’s time to work out a few hesitations and then work on connecting the notes a bit more to make the song flow a bit smoother. I recommend playing a bit slower with a metronome and really get confident on the notes in each section. You’re doing great, keep it up!

laurakarr12 – Very nicely played! I like that you start the phrases a bit quieter and gradually build up the volume as you go. It makes for a very nice effect. I noticed that you are slowing down a bit at the ends of the phrases. It sounds intentional and adds a cool feel to the piece, I just want to make sure it’s what you were intending to do. Either way, it sounds great!

laurasil – Your timing on this one is excellent, and your notes ring out very clearly. Great work on this one!

lhamilton – I’m leaving feedback for 12th Street Rag: You’re doing a great job on this one! I have one small tip for the intro: There is a quarter rest at the end of measure one and two. Make sure to leave space at the end, and you’ve got the idea. Everything else sounds very good, keep it up!

ccwuke – Great playing on this one! It’s a super catchy song, so I don’t blame your co-worker having it stuck in their head. It seems like you have this one pretty solid, and with just a tiny bit of extra work on measure 27, you’ve got the whole thing down! For that measure, just play it slowly, then add 26 and 28 to make sure you can transition into and out of that tricky spot smoothly. Excellent job!

andrewvh – Those harmonics are tricky! To increase the probability of getting it accurately, practice the last measure before the harmonic and then the last phrase going into that measure. Once you can get the harmonic 90% of the time this way, it will be easier to get it in context. Then, I recommend slowing the song down a bit to get every note to ring out clearly. You’re doing great, keep it up!

nthibode – You win the coolest background award! Great job on this one! I like the dramatic conclusion to the intro. Over all, you are doing a terrific job, with just one slight buzz at 1:12. Keep up the great work!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@eszti5mail – Beautifully played! Try a little lighter tap at the end of the piece for that harmonic. The trick with that technique is to do a quick tap. Check out my reply to Dennis in this forum post for a more detailed explanation of this.

@lissid
    – Amazing, Melissa! I can’t believe you’ve only played for 3 months! I was so impressed, I shared this on our social media today! Keep up the great work 🙂

@samash07
    – Well done! Only 2 things stood out to me. First, watch out for pulling down on the strings when fretting notes. For ex, pause the video at 19 seconds and you can see that happening. The issue with doing that is that it causes the note to go sharp and sounds a bit out of tune. Try to keep the strings parallel at all times.

Second, is what you mentioned – timing. Only a couple times though, you did very well overall! Just double down on your practice in the sections that are tough.

@stianukulele
    – So goooood!! I’m gonna send the to CDS, he’ll love it!

Your right hand technique is killer. Your speed is insane. And your rhythms sound amazing AND the dynamic build at 54 seconds was perfectly executed. Like I said – so good!

I do have a couple suggestions on what you may want to focus on. First, the ending of the intro – don’t rush that phrase, it sounded a little too jumbled together.

Second, right after the intro (Melody A), I want to hear the melody notes (C, B, A) on the first string a little more clearly defined. And that’s literally all my critiques – amazing job!

wongbrown

Hi everyone, I have to confess that this is my second time doing Yankee Doodle. The first time was some 2 years ago. I just want to spend more time in catching up with lessons that I have missed. Not much has been achieved so far😅 Anyway I’ll keep working hard.

samash07
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback Andrew! I didn’t even notice the pulling down part when I recorded this, I’ll make sure to work on that and the timing.

This tune was very challenging and fun to learn.

stianukulele

@andrew Thanks for the feedback! Also doing the clawhammer course now, CDS is a great musician and teacher. If I win I am gonna order the Gold Tone acryl banjolele, it looks fantastic 😉

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by stianukulele.
    threepwoodjones
    Participant

Hmm, the end of the month sneaked up on me.

elealong12
    Participant

Hello Everyone, Thank you Rock Class for the amazing lessons. I chose to do 12th Street Rag this month, the rhythm is quite tricky and the last line was a little bit challenging so I took it a little slower than the regular tempo but a great song to learn. Good Luck to everyone, you guys are killing it this challenge.

lissid
    Participant

@andrew thank you for your encouragement, it really is appreciated. I’ve learned a lot this month and these challenges are so fun!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 189 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.