Participate in the June 2019 Member Challenge – LAST Chance to WIN a Kanile’a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2019 Member Challenge – LAST Chance to WIN a Kanile’a!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 273 total)
  • Author
    lildevil
    Participant

@sprintingyogini, @deadbuggy
    thank you so much for your comments. Had been alone on this journey, and am thrilled to have found such a supportive community. Hope to give back in kind.

@andrew

Wow. Thank you. No pressure for next month… Still can’t believe I flubbed those last two bars, or that I was willing to post it rather than obsessing over getting ‘a better take’. I’m evolving… Will keep practicing, but I think it’s largely a mental thing, so will work on that too, if I can figure out how.

Hope you guys noticed the floral top I had on just for the occasion!

planetfink
    Participant

@lildevil I did notice. While I was watching I was thinking how cool it was that your shirt matched your strap. Oh, and I loved your playing too. 😀

lildevil
    Participant

@planetfink. Thanks! White pants might have been a nice touch. And, seeing as how I’m in Florida – though not at the beach – I could have at least gone outside among the flowers and palms. Missed opportunity…

robinboyd
    Participant

@lildevil – I suppose I could record at the beach and pretend that it’s not FREEZING right now.

kirpuff
    Participant

I put this piece on my “cool songs I want to learn” list awhile back so I’m glad it turned up this month. I wish I had a take where all the notes on the high frets rang out clearly, but alas. On to Wipe Out!

(Excuse the frogs and the crickets and the AC unit and everything else that decides to make noise )

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Listen to Aloha oe3 by kirpuff on #SoundCloud

lisamcc
    Participant

Lovely playing so far everyone – well done. I’m working on Better together. I’ve sorted the ukulele part I think, pretty much, but I’m finding fitting the words in REALLY difficult. Some of those sentences are sooooooooo long – and the song is so laidback that it doesn’t sound right if you are trying to get 50 words into a breath! I can play along with Katie and sing just fine, but I am having to listen to her and Jack Johnson original over and over again to try and work out the singing part and how to fit the uke to it. Normally I don’t need the music line to sing over the top, but I’m finding this hard. Is this just me?

johanna2509
    Participant

@lisamcc I am also working on Better Together. Singing and playing this song was difficult for me too, but I somewhat figured it out. I started with humming the lyrics and when I got comfortable with it, I added the actual words. After a while, I could sing the whole piece without really thinking about it. But I agree, especially the end of the bridge fits barely in one breath!

robinboyd
    Participant

It’s not just you. Jack Johnson is well known for squeezing weird numbers of syllables in lines and then making it sound totally natural when he sings. Actually, I could even hear Katie struggling with it a bit in her video.

Andrew
    Keymaster

kirpuff – Beautiful take! I noticed a couple things that I wanted to point out.

1) I’d cut the fermata a bit shorter on the G in measure 2, as it felt a bit too long. Which in a way, looses the tension/release effect.

2) In measure 6, the D note (5 on st. 1) should be a quarter note, not an 8th. Double check the timing/rhythm there.

3) I really liked how you added dynamics, raising the volume/expression in measure 15. Very tasteful 🙂

kirpuff
    Participant

Ha, you’re exactly right,that’s what I get for not looking at the music. I’m a music teacher myself so no excuse! I’ll be more accurate with the next one 🙂

Thanks for keeping me honest, Andrew! Beautiful arrangement, I really enjoyed learning it

lisamcc
    Participant

Thanks for your responses @johanna2509 and @robinboyd! I needed some reassurance that it wasn’t just me! Normally I play and sing no worries…. for this, I really feel like I could do with the score for the vocal part too… just to get the right number of words in corresponding to chord changes. I’m normally TERRIBLE with having to do multiple takes so to hit the deadline, I better start now! I love the song though – Jack Johnson just sounds so completely laid back when he does it! Top tip with the humming – going to get humming immediately! 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

@kirpuff – My pleasure!

beebee
    Participant

Tonight You Belong To Me
    –😬😬😬 my first try at picking and also at barre chords 😬😬😬–
    Thank you for including this little ditty which I’ve always loved, and which my grandchildren know in two-part harmony from the movie, as we’ll be submitting as a duet on Donovan’s membership.
    This has been so much fun, as much for them as for me; mostly my days are spent as my father’s care-giver and looking after the tinyfolk, but learning this song has had us all playing together for hours while entertaining “Opa.”
    I really appreciate what y’all have created!
    🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸🐝🐝

Here’s a pic I snapped yesyerday of Donovan teaching Dylan at their great grandfather’s place.

rickeymike
    Participant

Nice playing, Bee. Can’t wait for the duet!

lisadmh
    Participant

Good job, folks. I’m jealous! This month’s challenge is killing me. I’m on tonight you belong to me and somehow I just can’t get it.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 273 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.