Participate in the June 2019 Member Challenge – LAST Chance to WIN a Kanile’a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2019 Member Challenge – LAST Chance to WIN a Kanile’a!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 273 total)
  • Author
    stianukulele

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

My take on Aloha ‘Oe, now im heading out in the beautiful Norwegian summer day, Alhoa!

rickeymike
    Participant

Lisa, I’m doing that one too. What are your problem areas? Maybe I can help you. Private message me if you like.

johanna2509
    Participant

Hey, all!
    This one was sooo difficult to record. I had a bunch of good takes, but then my brain freezes and I randomly forgot some words or my hands simply don’t know what they’re supposed to do anymore. Also in the take I uploaded, I hit a wrong note in the outro unfortunatly… but the rest is okay, so I choose this one anyways.
    I wish I could sing… it’s more like whispering. However, I had still fun learning and playing it.
    I am playing Bernadette’s signature uke, it is so cute and in my opinion it fits very well to this song.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by johanna2509.
    donovan

Today is my BeeMama’s birthday. She’s 63 or her extremely late twenties, so we are cooking out at her apartment and I’m practicing this song for her. I’m @.

donovan

Hi everyone!
    I’m working on Aloha Oe even though it’s really too advanced for me. I’ve been practicing a lot but I don’t think it will be ready for submission even by the end of the month.😞

Problems I need help on. I have real difficulty getting a good bar down with my index finger. The problem is mostly with the A string. I’ve tried rolling my finger a bit to get more bone against the fret. To no avail. I think the A string is at the joint and the finger is indented there.
    Second difficulty is reaching those higher frets with my pinky. The upper bout gets in the way.
    Third and fourth problems might be just my uke. I cannot get a good sound on the slides. And cannot get the 12th fret harmonic on the G string to ring out no matter what method I try. Hope you all can give me some tips with all of these issues. Thank you in advance!

becky7777
    Participant

I’m doing Aloha oe, not sure I can help much since I literally just started on the song a few days ago… But as for the A string not ringing:

When you have the chord fretted that isn’t ringing, try using the weight of your arm. Relax your fretting arm from your neck and shoulder and let your arm’s weight hang from your fretting finger. Kind of use the weight of your arm to help push your finger against the fretboard. It’s kind of like rolling your finger like matt suggested. It just uses a more natural ‘roll’ and you don’t have to work quite as hard to get it.

The uke I have is kind of boat paddle shaped and makes reaching higher frets easier so I can’t really help with your part 2.

If it makes you feel any better though, yes those bar chords up on those very last frets on the neck are a challenge. I REALLY love that progression(?) in the verse though. It’s really fun to play for me even though the Tiny tenor only has 16 frets.😁

Anyway, good luck! Hope someone can help you!!!

Thank you becky7777
    I’ll try your suggestion. I suspect some of my difficulties have to do with finger strength. I’m confident I will get there eventually.

As for the slides…today I figured out I have to grip really firmly and slide very quickly.

becky7777
    Participant

Yellow cottage- I didn’t see the slide question. The live lesson with taps and pull offs he goes over slides and the pressure I think. Even if you can’t get the A string to ring out or whatever you aren’t happy with, you shouldn’t let that stop you from posting. The only ‘contest’ in the challenges is a random drawing. Besides if you post a video Andrew can probably help spot problems and fix them. (Which is my fav part of feedback.)

You can actually slide slower(-ish) if you feel you’re going too fast or whatever.

If you put more pressure on the fretboard with your fingers as you slide it stays clear, and you can actually gain in volume some too with practice. This lesson Andrew went over fading the slide. The reverse is true too. (I apparently love to fade into slides lol.) Anyway, yeah I really love slides. I’ve been using them when I can’t bend a string, they work sometimes instead of taps and pull offs, they’re fun and sound cool. I suspect i’m over-using them right now because i’m in some weird ‘let’s slide around the fretboard because I can’ phase but it’s fun. Way too much typing and im done with my coffee lol.

Anyway have a good one, and good luck again😁

jinajupiter
    Participant

Hi lisamcct and johanna2509. I am also practicing ‘Better Together’. I also find it very difficult to memorise, sometimes the syllables pass fast and sometimes there are only a few in a sentence, it took me quite a while to learn. And I’m still stumbling over the words. But the lyrics are beautiful, I do hear the sea between the words and imagine myself on a tropical beach under a mango tree together with my dreams and memories and daily reality. The song itself contains only 6 musical notes in total but still it is hard. So very impressive Johanna that you nailed that within two weeks. As Jack starts himself: “There is no combination of words I could put on a back of a postcard”, instead he wrote two pages of words. I am also not a singer, so double challenge here! Great job Johanna!

johanna2509
    Participant

Thank you, @jinajupiter!
    Although this song is listed under the ‘Beginner’ series, the singing makes it much harder. But my problem area this time was barring the e and a string followed by reaching out with the pinky…
    I think I also need more finger strength.
    I am looking forward to your entries! Good job so far, everyone!

soraya06
    Participant

@stianukulele that was beautiful !

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by soraya06.
    lisamcc
    Participant

I’m a premium member!
    Hey everyone – Here is my first ‘session’ at recording ‘better together’… my throat is a bit sore, so if I carry on doing takes, I think I’m going to need a baritone ukulele!
    It’s not perfect – the twiddly bits I forgot what I was doing a couple of times – sorry about that – yes I know…. slow down!!!
    Even though this is ‘easy’, I really didn’t find it easy. I’m a picker not a strummer, so the slapping and chucking are skills I’m working on. I found the transitions tricky – they seemed like they should have a different rhythm, but they didn’t, so that took a bit to get that smooth. I also found the singing line really challenging – a LOT of words to squeeze in – and squeeze I did, but sometimes my lips were a blur!!!
    I really loved the challenge – beautiful song. Thank you Andrew for another fab challenge and for setting up such an awesome community.

rickeymike
    Participant

Impressive, Lisa. I think you may have a spot in this Friday’s newsletter!

abaluyot
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 273 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.