Participate in the June 2020 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2020 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 246 total)
  • Author
    lisamcc
    Participant

I’m a premium member

Hey everyone –
    Wow… @brettboy, @surfnrz and @schapp123… well done! I am still working on careless whisper but didn’t make it in the month… a tricky little number – well done!
    Awesome playing everyone – I’ve enjoyed all the performances.
    I apologise in advance for this – my little mic appears to have packed in and this just sounds tinny and horrible – sorry. I did a bit of an experiment with the high bit and did a high drone tone instead using my thumb rather than the open low G. It’s such a cool tune – I’ll now carry on with careless whisper!
    Thanks for the great challenge Andrew – can’t wait to see what next month brings..
    Stay safe everyone,
    Lisa

kellyblackburn
    Participant

I am a PREMIUM MEMBER!
    Here’s my entry.
    Thanks for the lesson,
    Kelly

surfnrz

I forgot to say I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER. Sorry.

elealong12
    Participant

Hello Everybody,
    The posts so far are amazing!Thank you Andrew and RockClass for the fantastic lessons. I chose to play Billie Jean this month which is a a fun and challenging song to play. I took it a little slower than normal and I’m still a little rusty but I hope you guys enjoy.Good Luck to everyone!!

andrewvh
    Participant

I am a premium member.

Here’s my attempt at people are strange. Annoyingly I missed the last note, and otherwise lots of room for improvement. I did try using my little finger for those E chords but it didn’t want to play, so now it just hangs around in the air with not much to do.

rockmyuke
    Participant

I am a Premium member
    Hi all,
    Here is my June Challenge entry: People Are Strange

It’s so cool watching everyone’s videos. Kudos to you all!

holly1

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Way to go everyone! Always love the creativeness from brettboy, and surfnrz you really make me want to give careless whisper a try in the far off future, that was beautiful. And Lyndallk I really love how your take sounded. Again, kudos to all, these were challenging songs for sure. Everyone should pat themselves on the back.

So here it goes for me with People are Strange. This was my second take/recording on it. And I decided to let it be. Maybe I could have done a better recording, or maybe not. I do seem to have a death grip on that wound Low G string, squeak squeak. Sorry. If i concentrated to lift and not squeak I would mess up. Right now all my attention needs to be on the notes. I also had to leave out the open Low G string in the Verse 3 section, as I discussed in another post about how it sounds terrible as my other strings go so sharp playing further up the neck. So it is what it is. I need to try an un-wound log g string on maybe another ukulele sometime. I also notice that I seem to “hang” on the strings a little too much with my fretting hand, and pull down on the strings a bit too much. Hope that isn’t becoming a bad habit. Anyhoo… here’s the link. Not my best, but it’ll do.

Thanks RC101! ~ Holly

nthibode

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I second Holly’s comment — great work everyone!

Here is my laid-back take on Careless Whisper. Super fun to learn, super tough to record! Now just imagine how nice it would sound on a new wooden uke 😉

Cheers,
    ~Nathalie

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 8:

flaaaaaame – Way to tackle a difficult piece! Now that you have 95% percent of the notes down, try slowing the tempo down to work out hesitations throughout the piece. There are also a few rhythms in the solo and 3/4 into the song in general to break down slowly and play until you are comfortable. You are almost there, just a tiny bit more work! Great job!

brettboy – You have a great feel on the first part of this, and you are off to a wonderful start! Here and there the rhythm and tempo seem to get lost in the notes, so I recommend making the timing the priority for practicing this the next few times. Then make the backbeat the 2nd priority over getting the notes right. People are able to tell when a rhythm is wrong more easily than when a note is wrong, especially if they try to sway to the music. Keep up the wonderful work, you are doing great!

nathalie – Great job on this! You have the swing feel down, which isn’t usually an easy task for beginners. There are just certain hesitations like the one at 0:29 to work through. Make sure you understand the rhythms in these sections, and practice keeping the right feel and timing through these parts. Isolating these spots and playing slowly will go a long way! Awesome playing on this!

debb1985 – You’re doing a really good job! It’s a hard song with a lot of tricky rhythms, and there are a few to focus more time on. At the part at 2:24, I recommend playing along with the on screen tab player with that section looped at 50% speed and then 75% to get familiar with the rhythm. You’re doing a wonderful job, there is just a little more work left on that one section.

lyndallk – You’re doing a great job, and you were so close to getting all of those harmonics! At 1:06 there are a few measures where you are replacing a few notes with a percussive click. Try adding those notes back in by practicing slowly. Then you’ve got the whole song ready to perform! Great job!

debb1985

Nathalie that was amazing! You deserve a new wooden uke!!!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by debb1985.
    debb1985

Thanks for the feedback Stephen. I definitely will practice more with the tab player and get things smoother and in time 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by debb1985.
    marianne
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    This is my best take of People are Strange.
    Not very happy with it but it will have to do. It wasn’t easy! Also the highest notes are tough to make as this is a short neck soprano uke and those frets simply don’t exist…

Thanks!
    Marianne

lyndallk
    Participant

Thanks Stephen. Always good practical advice on how to improve! Appreciate it

rickeymike
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

This one is dedicated to Kanni with much thanks for giving me the opportunity to play on her concert uke.

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 9:

johanna2509 – Very creative! I like the drum beat. Beautifully played! Keep up the great work! I had trouble hearing the higher notes on the A string…it might be good to pluck those a tiny bit harder and to experiment with plucking in different places (slightly closer to the bridge) to get the A string to project better. Great performance!

surrealflea – Only a few weeks?! You are doing an amazing job! You have great start on a lot of the notes and techniques, now it’s time to go back in and get the rhythms down. I recommend playing the song at about 75% of the speed you are playing it at and really focus on counting and locking in the swing feel. Keep up the great work!

surfnrz – You’re off to a wonderful start, and your hammer-on and pull of combinations are excellent! My overall suggestion is to focus on getting a slightly softer attack and adding dynamics to what you’re playing: start quiet and really swell into certain parts. This works very well in the saxophone lick and the verses. Keep at it, you’re doing an awesome job thus far!

cyukug – You are doing a great job on the notes and getting a good tone out of the notes. Try practicing this one with a metronome or a drum track that has a swing feel at a slightly slower tempo to get the timing and tempo solid. You’re doing great, just keep a steady pulse until the outro.

schaap123 – Great job on this! you have the notes and a lot of the style down on this! There are just a few spots where you hesitate. I think you could play it even better at 75 – 80% of the speed you are currently playing it. You’re very close to getting it at this tempo, but for the few spots that are super tricky, try playing it slower. Keep up the excellent work!

yooki-h – You’re off to a great start…keep it up! You might want to mute the low G during certain parts of the chorus a bit, but otherwise it’s nearly perfect!

kkaszuba – That sound on the B chord is the mic on the computer/webcam getting to loud of a signal at a certain frequency. There’s not much you can do besides playing further from the microphone or getting a new one. You are playing the notes great on this one! I suggest going a bit slower and working on the timing. Have you tried playing along with the on screen tab player at 75% speed or even 50%? This well help you get a better sense on the timing. Keep at it, you’re doing great!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 246 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.