Participate in the June 2020 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2020 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a!

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 246 total)
  • Author
    AJ

Here is everyone on Page 12

morrieuke1

This sounds great! Only thing i think would be to watch the dynamics in the first couple of sections. Play with a softer touch and attack, and for the A minor chords at the end of the progression before it repeats, play those with your thumb so it has a very soft attack as well. Those sections always felt very emotional and a bit dark to me, so having that softer touch on the notes can really get that point across so that way when the chorus part kicks in, it’s all bright with sharper dynamics, giving a lot more life to that par. I think you killed it though! Great tone and finger style technique!!

simonalexander

Great Job!! Obviously this arrangement is more advanced and higher in tempo. I would try to slow it down a little bit and work on all those transitions from chord to chord. It jumped around a lot, and even for me, when I’m playing something like this i tend to miss notes, hit the wrong fret, or hit the right fret but I don’t hit it accurately so the note buzzes. Little things like that. So try to slow it down a bit, get those transitions, and keep focus on that metronome! It’s easy to rush something like this. I know because I do the same thing! Once it’s all locked in with the drums and everything sounds clean and accurate, this arrangement sounds so great. Great Job though! You are basically there already so this should be super quick for you

verity2003

Great Job! All i really would say is watch out for the transitions between the melody notes. Sounds like the notes cut off slightly too quick making it sound a bit choppy. You want that smoother transition from note to note that results in a more fluid sounding melody.

b_ukes_101

Sounds awesome!! I would recommend playing all the arpeggiated chords with thumb, index, and middle fingers instead of just the thumb. Use the thumb for the rolled strums but using the other fingers for the rest of the arpeggios can smoothen out the sound of it. May be kind’ve a style preference, but that’s how i would go about it. Great job though. Dynamics were spot on!!

mistaken

Great Job!! All i can say is watch your picking hand. When you pluck the strings, try not to pick up your fingers so high off the string. Keep them very close to the string after you pluck it. The Further your fingers go from the string, the further and quicker you have to get back to it which can cause it to sound a bit choppy. That kind of finger control can make things sound smoother, fluent, and you end up having more dynamic control. It’s natural to pick them up so far. I had to train myself with this same thing too. You sound awesome though!!

wongbrown

Awesome job!! I would say be aware of tempo! at 2:20 you speed up a good bit from the first half, so keeping that the same as the first will sound more consistent

amandali

fantastic! I think you nailed it. Just work on the transitions from those chords that climb up the next. They are a little weird at first, but you’ll get that super quick. Great job!

mljordan3

Sounds great!! your tempo and feel throughout were awesome. A couple of tiny spots where there were some hesitation between transitioning, so just work on that. Once you have everything fluent then you’ll have this piece down completely!

rufio0

great job!! I will say just work on the pull-offs in the melody they are tad bit rushed, so holding it out a tiny bit longer will be more rhythmically accurate and some smoother. Everything else sounds just fine

givingtree89

Very nice!! I think you nailed it. Just be careful with some of those buzzy notes higher up the neck towards the end. that chord that climbs up the next before the second half, the very last one at 1:09 im not hearing all the notes. Just the highest and lowest one. So just work on that barre chord and make sure each note can be heard. Thats it!

willymac

Great Job!! I think you nailed it. finger picking technique looks good and natural, and flows nice. Not much else to say but keep killin it! \m/

AJ

Here is everyone on Page 14

bklynsoul

Great Job! I think you nailed it. I would start working on increasing the tempo gradually until you reach the main tempo. Awesome Job!

cimarronsailor
    Sounds great! Good job on avoiding lots of fret buzz. I can’t see your picking hand, so next time make sure you get that hand in the frame. Sounds awesome!!

emiliano

killer job!! Very clean, smooth, and consistent sounding. I enjoyed watching you play it too. Looks like you were having fun. That’s awesome!!

ukukelley1

Sounds Great!! I would utilize your ring and middle fingers on the picking hand more for the melodies instead of playing it all with the index. When you switch strings and do it all with the index finger, it can actually make it a bit harder. I usually have my thumb on the 4th, index on the 3rd, middle on the 2nd, and ring on the first. Obviously there re exceptions here and there, but that will work for a lot of things and make the piece flow a lot smoother.

rustypal

Very nice!! Everything sounds very clear and even. I would say just get that higher rendition of the verse a little cleaner, but other than that I think it sounds great!

jinajupiter

this is awesome!! Love the recording and the different instruments too. Very cool. For the arpeggios on the ukulele, try using a different fingers to make the arpeggios sound a bit smoother. I usually do thumb on the 4th, index on the 3rd, middle on the 2nd, and ring on the first string. That’s a common method and it can be done other ways of coarse, but that works well for me so definitely give it a shot. I really love this video!!

maryjanew

not horrible at all!! Everything sounds great, just keep playing it and practicing it so you can work with those transitions and other things like that. Do it slowly and take your time. You sound great though so keep rockin it!

kirpuff

very nice!! Just work on the timing a little bit and get those changes and everything locked into the groove. There’s a tendency to rush when playing with a backing track or a drum groove. I know because i do the same thing. haha! So that would be the main thing i would work on. Great job though!!

AJ

here is everyone on page 13

udreyrozowykwiatlucie

awesome!! This arrangement can be a bit tough at first, so one thing I would try is to use your first, middle, and ring fingers on the 3rd, 2nd, and 1st string, and keep your thumb on the 4th string. Utilizing different fingers for each string can very quickly smoothen out everything and even help you increase the tempo! It can feel a bit weird at first, but stick with it and you’ll see what i mean! It was unnatural for me at first, but now it’s second nature and it helps with so many things. You sound great though! Your notes very strong and clear which is also super important. Great Job!

lisa-k

Fantastic!! Great feel and tempo throughout the whole piece. Just watch out for those buzzy notes! Make sure sure your finger is properly on the string with enough pressure. That’s really it. I would also adjust your picking hand a bit so that your fingers are closer to the strings so you can minimize the extra movement. great job though!

santai

Sounds awesome!! Main thing is make sure the lower strings sounds clear and strong. All the other strings are fine, it’s mainly the low notes on the 3rd string that sound a bit choked. Be careful for buzzy notes on the higher frets for that mid section. I struggle with that too! So just aware of these couple of things. Everything else sounds great!

karenj

Great job!! I would utilize your middle finger more for the first string notes on the melody for the fingerpicking in the verse sections. It can really clean up the sound and make it sound smoother since hat finger isn’t jumping back and froth from string to string

jkulele

Very nice!! Try slowing it down the first section a bit. I think you have that part down so slowing it down will sound more like the song. Just keep working on the rest slowly accurately like you already are and you’ll be super fluent in this arrangement in no time!!

ronnieg

Great Job!! Only Thing is be careful with how hard you pluck the strings. At a few parts it sounds like you were pulling the string a little too much which makes the attack of the note very sharp. So just watch out for that. You sounded great though!!

gardn_gnome

Awesome job! Keep practicing it like you are. Slow and steady. That’s a great way to make sure you’re not making mistakes that can turn into bad habits. Watch your picking hand and make sure your fingers stay close to the strings after you pluck. I also wouldn’t anchor your fingers on the end of the body. Keeping your fingers near the strings will make everything so much easier once you speed it up. They will always be right where you need them to be instead of having to do all extra movements to bring them back so you can pluck them

sticks366

sounds great! Keep rockin’!

timolnz

Great Job!! Try slowing it down a bit and play with a softer dynamic for the verse sections. When the strumming chorus comes in, you can use a slightly louder dynamic. For this song, The soft dynamic for the verses sounds so great!!

Joannetala

Awesome Job! just watch out for some at that fret buzz on the higher frets. Other than that I think you sound great!

iyers408

Great Job!! I would say make sure the melody notes right out without any buzz here and there. Some of the notes would get cut off slightly to early but that’s normal. I still have the problem a lot too. Just comes with a lot of practice!!

AJ

riley_ukulele –

Forgot to add yours to the original post, so my bad!!
    This sounds great! I think the only parts to work with are those climbing chords at 0:57 as well as the higher octave of the melody. Other than that i think you sounded awesome!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by AJ.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

We did it! We crushed the Spring Challenges!

321 members participated in our last 3 challenges and I have been blown away by everyone’s performances! Thanks to each and everyone of you who participated.

We are going live at 12 PM EST (check your local time zone) on July 4th to announce the winner of the $1,370 Pineapple Kanile’a Ukulele. The live stream link is below:

—-

Here is everyone who participated this month. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

rebeca
    lisadmh
    lisadmh
    planetfink
    planetfink
    turkgoose
    turkgoose
    tim0721
    tim0721
    mark1256
    mark1256
    peiching
    tric_o_tronic
    tric_o_tronic
    janett75
    janett75
    ccwuke
    ccwuke
    barbecueblack
    barbecueblack
    nickyg
    nickyg
    johanna2509
    johanna2509
    cncamacho
    cncamacho
    shmu88
    shmu88
    funtime2018
    funtime2018
    lhamilton
    lhamilton
    flaaaaaame
    flaaaaaame
    brettboy
    brettboy
    nathalie
    nathalie
    debb1985
    debb1985
    lyndallk
    lyndallk
    surrealflea
    surrealflea
    surfnrz
    surfnrz
    cyukug
    cyukug
    schaap123
    schaap123
    yooki-h
    yooki-h
    kkaszuba
    kkaszuba
    lisamcc
    lisamcc
    kellyblackburn
    kellyblackburn
    elealong12
    andrewvh
    andrewvh
    rockmyuke
    rockmyuke
    holly1
    holly1
    nthibode
    nthibode
    marianne
    rickeymike
    rickeymike
    katazumiri
    laurasil
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    eszti5mail
    eszti5mail
    coffeemug
    coffeemug
    brightwing
    kaidunc
    kaidunc
    stianukulele
    stianukulele
    smudge
    smudge
    sir_anzalot
    sir_anzalot
    morrieuke1
    morrieuke1
    simonalexander
    simonalexander
    verity2003
    verity2003
    b_ukes_101
    b_ukes_101
    miztaken
    miztaken
    riley_ukulele
    riley_ukulele
    wongbrown
    wongbrown
    amandali
    amandali
    mljordan3
    mljordan3
    rufio0
    rufio0
    givingtree89
    givingtree89
    willymac
    willymac
    bklynsoul
    bklynsoul
    cimarronsailor
    cimarronsailor
    emiliano
    emiliano
    ukukelley1
    ukukelley1
    rustypal
    rustypal
    jinajupiter
    maryjanew
    maryjanew
    kirpuff
    kirpuff
    audreyrozowykwiatlucie
    audreyrozowykwiatlucie
    lisa-k
    lisa-k
    santai
    santai
    karenj
    karenj
    jkulele
    jkulele
    ronnieg
    ronnieg
    gardn_gnome
    gardn_gnome
    sticks366
    sticks366
    timolnz
    timolnz
    joannetala
    joannetala
    iyers408
    iyers408

jinajupiter
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback AJ 🙂
    About the list, I had two submissions, not one,
    Bodysurfing in cha cha
    and Stairway with recorder.
    Thanks

b_ukes_101

Thank you, AJ! I was rewatching the video and thought the same thing so I jumped right over to the fingerpicking course. Looks like you got me Andrew. Fingers crossed!

morrieuke1
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, AJ!! Happy 4th of July, and good luck everyone!!

humerosa

@jinajupiter Thank you for your reply =) Risa sounds nice, especially for a Trekkie 😉

One more possible uke on the list…

miztaken
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback @AJ (you are way too kind).
    I had been studying YOUR hands and at least managed to get rid of my usual extravagant and awkward hand flourishes… now to work on those picking flourishes… one more step forward.

BTW… AWESOME arrangement (and even my “other” music teacher thought it was a great arrangement).

bklynsoul
    Participant

@AJ TY for feedback. It will take a while to get to tempo but I’ll keep working at it and smoothing out the rough spots. Cheers.

kirpuff
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, AJ!

Yes as soon as I hit record, I couldn’t stop rushing to save my life! I’ve been practicing with the track this week, hoping to get a better take just so I have it haha!

marygrace
    Participant

Fun Andrew – Thank You! Congratulations Lolitto!

lisotta
    Participant

I am thrilled!!! Thank you for these challenges, I am learning so much from participating and from rockclass101. Winning this pineapple uke is a dream come true! Please let me know what steps I need to take to have it shipped to me. Thank you! Thank you!

lisadmh
    Participant

Congratulations lisotta!

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 246 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.