Participate in the June 2020 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2020 Member Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a!

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 246 total)
  • Author
    lisamcc
    Participant

@jinajupiter – wow – that was incredibly professional and very entertaining! It made me smile, thank you!
    What programme are you using to record the multichannels?

@kirpuff
    – that was great! Such a hard arrangement – I am still learning it, so had to switch half way through the month. You did great!

@maryjanew
    – you can hear it coming together, don’t be hard on yourself, it’s a tricky piece and I still find recording myself to be terrifying.

Great job everyone!!!
    🙂

lisamcc
    Participant

On tenderhooks…… what is the July challenge going to be???! I should be preparing yet more lesson powerpoints, so this is the highlight of my day!
    🙂

jinajupiter
    Participant

Thanks everybody, Lisa I layer all audio takes on top of each other in an old version of Cubase so I can decide what take I want louder. But any digital music program like Garage Band that is for free will do. The video I edited in the standard
    I-Movie that comes for free with a Mac computer. I use the editing tricks of this guy.

maryjanew
    Participant

@jinajupiter I don’t have a Mac computer but I have an iPhone and an iPad with iMovie. Do you think it’s possible to get it close to this with an iPad??? I wasn’t really following the part of his tutorial where he was saving each audio file….

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by maryjanew.
    Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 10:

lisamcc – Wow, that was fast! You’re doing a wonderful job! There were a few hesitations and a few spots where you sped up as well, but the notes were wonderful! I recommend slowing down a bit from that tempo and focusing on keeping a steady pulse now that you have the rest of it down. Keep up the great work!

kellyblackburn – You are off to a great start! The notes sound very clear, now it’s time to work on getting a smooth, steady rhythm and tempo through each section. There are a lot of shifts near the beginning that you are adding space between. Going just a tiny bit slower will help you to get these shifts in time. You are doing a great job on the solo, just a little bit more work on the rhythm throughout and you’ve got it! Excellent job! Thank you for your entry.

elealong12 – Way to keep the timing consistent on this one! It’s not an easy task. If you can get it down at this speed, you’ve done the hard work. You’re doing a wonderful job! My only suggestion before working on speed is to spend a little bit more time on the section right before the chorus and on the solo, and pluck just a tiny bit lighter while keeping the left hand relaxed as well. Keep up the great work!

andrewvh – You’re doing a great job! It sounds like you know the part fairly well, and it’s just a bit of focus on getting your fingers more comfortable with the part. What I notice aside from the ending is that on sections including the build up, you are playing half the speed that you are playing the rest of the song. The quarter notes fly by at the tempo of the rest of the song, and right now in measure 20 you are holding them out as if they were half notes. Keep working on it, you are getting close! Thank you for entering this challenge!

rockmyuke – Excellent job! Your timing and feel were great all the way through this one! It seems like there was only one spot that tripped you up on this take, but I imagine you can get the transition and that it was just this particular time through right at the 1:00 to 1:03 mark. You did wonderful on this, now it’s time to learn one of the other songs or get started on July’s challenge! Keep up the great playing!

holly1 – You are doing well thus far! As far as pulling the strings down: be careful not to do this too much, as it makes the notes sound out of tune slightly as you play them. If you catch it now, it won’t become a habit later. Aside from this, you are doing an awesome job! Just a bit of work to get the accuracy on certain sections and staying conscious of not bending the notes and you’ve got it! Thank you for joining the challenge!

nthibode – Hey, that’s an awesome shirt, where can I get one? In all seriousness, though: Your playing is excellent all the way through this one and your feel is great! There might be one or two challenging sections that you are slightly slowing down on, but there’s a lot going on and you’re getting all of those nuances! Superb playing on this!

marianne – I think you did a great job in spite of the limitations of the soprano! If you get a chance, try this out on a concert or a soprano ukulele. The slight bit of extra room might help you not only with the high notes, but also might give you enough space between the frets to help you get the higher fretted notes with more clarity. Wonderful playing, keep it up!

rickeymike – Your voice sounds great on this song! You’ve come a long way in the last several months! Now that you have the notes down, try playing this at a similar overall tempo or a bit slower with a metronome to help with some of the spots you’re pausing on. Before you do that, work a little bit more to get the rhythm on the build up as well. Keep it up, you’re off to a great start!

lisamcc
    Participant

Thanks Stephen! I’m loving playing it… I’ll work on more consistency. I need to get my recording situation sorted, it’s coming out very distorted. Thanks for your feedback!

lisamcc
    Participant

Thank you @jinajupiter – I’ll give that a whirl! I need to get my mic sorted first (as I sound like I’m playing in a tin can) and then I’ll have a play. Thank you!

humerosa

Wow! @jinajupiter
    That is really impressive and a good perspective to work for. Especially, as it motivates to get my flute skills up-to-date =).

Could you please name the e-uke that you are using? It seems to have steel strings and real e-pickups. All the other e-ukes that I saw so far are just your other uke with a piezo pickup and a massive body? (Though I’m relatively new to the topic and might be talking uneducated rubbish =).)

Thank you!

b_ukes_101

I Really Really hope my name is drawn from that hat!!!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by b_ukes_101.
    jinajupiter
    Participant

@maryjanew. Yes sure, with a lot of patience…… you have to have nerdish qualities :). Looking forward to your first video.

@humerosa
    . Mine is a Risa LP tenor ukulele.
    Fanner guitars is from South Africa builds great ukes and ships internationally.
    Further we have Vorson from China, they are the cheapest, with some modification by a lutier it can sound great too.
    I think they are very expensive all of them compared to a consumer guitar, and I guess that is not necessarily because of it’s quality, but because there are only a few electric ukes on this planet.
    You can also change the tuning of a four string electric mandoline to get to the same result.
    Steel strings do sounds different and you can make bends.
    To achieve the same effect on nylon strings you can make slides.
    If you can find a second hand guitar pedal effects board and an amplifier
    you can also get distortion sounds with nylon strings and all sorts of effects that can be fun to fiddle with. Have fun!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by jinajupiter.
    Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 11:

katazumiri – You have a great sense of timing, and you are playing the notes well! Now it’s time to get the song to have a more flowing feel. The goal is to make it feel smoother rather than machine like. To do this, pluck a little bit lighter, and relax the plucking hand over all. You’re doing great, keep it up!

laurasil – Excellent timing and feel! The notes also sound crystal clear. There are just a few spots where the C string is ringing out, so keep working on muting that in the middle section. Everything else sounds wonderful! Keep up the awesome playing!

robinboyd – You’re doing a wonderful job on the notes and have about 90% of the rhythms down! A small thing to check on is the rhythm from measure 8 to 9. There is no added space after all of the notes in measure 8, so measure 9 will start right after that note with no extra delay. It’s a small detail, but it keeps the song in the same time signature rather than adding a beat to it, which will keep people able to tap their feet along with you. Keep up the great work!

eszti5mail – You are off to a wonderful start! I can tell you put a lot of work into this one! It’s sounding great so far, my main suggestion for now is to keep the tempo where you started out through the rest of the song as well. And also, you don’t need to be so hard on yourself, you’re doing a wonderful job! Recording is always a challenge for me, so I understand the frustration. Keep it up, you’re doing great!

coffeemug – You are doing a great job, and I can totally relate to the “rabbit hole of recording self-torture” part. That is very elegantly worded! For me, this usually means that I’m trying to play the song too fast for where I am (as a performance, even if I can get it when the camera is not on). An extra day of slow to medium practice where I focus on accuracy of transitions over speed usually goes a long way. Your take was very good in spite of this! My main advice is to focus on muting the C string at the section at 1:04. Great job on this, and knowing when it’s good enough to post instead of torturing yourself!

brightwing – Excellent job on the timing on this one! Over all your playing was very nice on this! The section at 1:05 is the main part I would focus on. It takes a lot of work to get the narrow frets to ring out clearly, but you are very close! Try practicing that part a bit slower to work on finding the sweet spot for each of those high frets. Keep up the great work!

kaidunc – You’re doing great! One piece of advice at 1:47, keep playing the tempo you started at to keep a consistent flow between sections. You can do this by keeping that section slow or speeding up the other sections a bit. You’re off to a great start on the solo! Keep up the hard work, it’s sounding awesome!

stianukulele – You’re doing a wonderful job on this one! Your technique looks great and your playing is very fluid! I’m very impressed, it seems like just a bit more work on the part around 3:00 in and you’ve mastered this one! Excellent job on this!

smudge – Wonderful job on this one! Have you tried plucking the higher variation with your index finger, or even strumming it with the fingernail? If that doesn’t work, try plucking in different spots like slightly closer to the bridge if you can shift without your ukulele slipping. I hope this helps. You are playing very well!

sir_anzalot – Nicely done! It seems like on the part between measure 8 and 9 you might be adding a slight pause where there isn’t one, but other than that one detail, you are playing super well! Keep up the great work!

coffeemug
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words, Stephen. I am trying to adopt “slow down” as my new mantra.

brightwing
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback @Stephen. Those high frets are definitely tricky and one of the last parts I learned for the piece. Will keep practicing it your advice in mind, thanks!

rockmyuke
    Participant

Stephen,
    Thank you for your kind words. I always look forward to feedback to help me improve my playing. I was very aware of the difficulty I had with the transition at 1:00 – 1:03. Being that far into the song, I didn’t want to stop and start over! Besides, I knew that if I did start over, I would probably make a mistake somewhere else. Getting those notes high up the neck to ring out is difficult for me, but with time (and practice) I’m hoping to improve. Thanks again.
    Dennis

nthibode

Thanks @Stephen! I highly recommend the shirt… and the website! 😉

Thanks for the compliment, @debb1985. My fingers are crossed!

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 246 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.