Participate in the March 2022 Member Challenge – Theme: Movie Magic!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2022 Member Challenge – Theme: Movie Magic!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    misterbones
    Participant

Here’s my take on the Explorer, played on a budget low G tenor only used for emergencies such as rockclass101 challenges that call for low G, as I don’t really care much for the low G sound otherwise. But compositions such as this one might change my opinion. Eventually. Maybe.
    It’s kind of funny to see how the fretboard is darkend from usage around the 7th to 10th fret, and nowhere else. That’s from Jailhouse Rock, the last Rockclass101 song I played that required low G, and the last time this uke has been played.

rafaela
    Participant

This month I chose The Godfather Love Theme. It is a really beautiful arrangement, and the melody sounds just perfect on Low G Ukulele!

When I listen back to the recording, it seems that my Uke sounds a bit out of tune from time to time, so sorry for that! Also, this month I almost entirely worked only with the tab sheets, which is why (unfortunately!) I didn’t do any slides, I hope it still sounds okay!

Thanks for listening, Rafaela 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

debb1985 – I loved it, Debb! You nailed the vibe 🙂

No worries on the nerves. We all get it in front of the camera. So couple of suggestions as you continue to practice.

First, I want to hear a bit more uniformity in the opening 16th note passages. Try playing along to a metronome.

Second, target your practice to the two bars in theme three with the sixteenth note strums. They are hard and took me a lot of practice to get clean.

ccwuke – Audio quality is fantastic. Well done! I recommend playing around with eq-ing next. There’s a whole world there that you can get lost in 🙂

Performance was excellent and I can’t wait to hear the new uke!

wongbrown – Here’s my feedback for you 🙂

annemarie – Beautifully played! Only thing I’d say is keep working on the B Melody.

lbilkie – Well done! As you continue to practice I’d recommend slowing the tempo down and focus on keeping timing steady. Keep up the good work and share an update at the end of the month if you have time 🙂

misterbones – Fantastic performance! You always play so well, so when I listen back I start listening for the little things. For example, at 17/18 seconds we hear less than clean playing. Just a blip, but an area we can dive into. I’ve noticed you play fast a lot. Question: when you are practicing, are you going slower than performance speed? Or are you always practicing close to this tempo?

If it’s the latter, I’d spend more time doing the former as it helps build muscle memory in the right hand which will limit these little blips from happening.

rafaela – Beautiful take! Keep up the great work 🙂

annemarie
    Participant

Thanks Andrew. I almost chose a different piece but I loved Steven’s arrangement and I wanted to challenge myself.

debb1985

@Andrew Thanks for the feedback!. Yea those were the parts that definitely were the hardest for me and I will keep practicing 😀

seoulkim

Hi Everyone

This is my play of “Love Theme from The Godfather”.
    Although I had to use High G since I did not have Low G string, I couldn’t help but select this renowned beautiful song.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@seoulkim – Great job! One thing I’d work on is lightening your right hand attack. A lighter pluck will produce a softer, sweeter tone. Check out this live lesson that Matt taught. He dives deeper into this concept.

Couple things to touch up: Bar 5 was cut short and try not to rush the slide in bar 10. We want to hear those notes as 8ths.

turkgoose
    Participant

I did The Explorer and I love this composition, thank you Andrew! Maintaining the timing was difficult and I messed up a bit on Theme 3. And needless to say, I did it much slower.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by turkgoose.
    rafaela
    Participant

@Andrew Thanks a lot! 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

@turkgoose – I thought you did an excellent job! Keep practicing to build the tempo and tighten that 3rd theme. But overall, it was great! 🙂

dividedsky
    Participant

My submission of Jurassic Park. This is such a pretty song and arrangement! I added a little reverb using the built-in effects on my Enya Nova. I memorized it (well, mostly…). 🙂

Jane

turkgoose
    Participant

@Andrew thank you for the feedback! I could play Theme 3 on a loop forever, the chord progression is so beautiful! Thank you for a wonderful song!

wongbrown

Andrew, thank you so much for your feedback. Now I have a much better grasp of the areas that I need to work on. The unwanted melody note sound and my inability to move the fingers in bar 5 are my most concerned. So grateful for your enlightening 😊

Cheers
    Sheila

lisadmh
    Participant

I’ve played this one before but it has never stayed in my set list because it’s high G and I almost never pull out my high G anymore. So with a few small tweaks, I adapted it to low G and I’ll be playing it all the time now. I’m very happy about that.

This take doesn’t have quite my best sustain and the last theme is not quite spot on with timing as my fingers were getting cold, but it was my first outdoor recording of the season and the vibe was too good to not share. 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by lisadmh.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@turkgoose – totally made my day, TY!!

@dividedsky
    – Beautifully played! Great tone and reverb on that uke 🙂

@lisadmh
    – One of your best performances I’ve heard to date! Bravo, Lisa!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.