Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile'a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile'a!

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 278 total)
  • Author
    surfnrz

Boy, this one was tricky to play and sing! Here is my submission mistakes and all. Thanks Andrew so much for these opportunities! I love these challenges! I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

lisadmh
    Participant

Wow, these singing ones blow my mind. Amazing @surfnrz

robinboyd
    Participant

@rickymike – Lol. You still sung along with the filler bit! Great persistence, though.

robinboyd
    Participant

@surfnrz – Wow, you actually managed to sing it in the original key. I’m really impressed.

rickeymike
    Participant

LOL, robin. And that was take 18. I was determined, hell or high water to get through it and do it again afresh the next day…… takes 19 through 23 were disasters. ha.

rickeymike
    Participant

So good, Surfn’……..”Because, You da man”!

kanae926
    Participant

Rickey, I’m way past keeping track the number of takes. We’ll just call it “taking forever.” I’m still trying to get a semi-decent play-through of When I’m 64 to enter in this month’s challenge without being a total embarrassment. 😂

I only have one more day! Yikes. 😬

I’m impressed by all the entries so far (especially the ones with singing…I only wish I had that capacity). They sound great!

rickeymike
    Participant

kanae, yes I usually just do a few takes and I’m done but for some reason ’64 was a monster to remember. I thought I had gotten it many times only to fumble through while attempting the complete song. It’s kind of a mystery to me as to why this happened with this song. After every bad take, I would say “But @*&, I know this!” Oh well, let’s look to June.

robinboyd
    Participant

FWIW, when I’m 64 was deceptively hard.

kanae926
    Participant

Sometimes I can memorize a piece within an hour or two after repeated play-throughs, but this one took me three days. After that, I still took another three days to smooth out just the chord transitions. I’ve been trying to clean it up for at least two weeks since then.

It’s a good thing this song is so fun to practice or I might have already quit from frustration. Hahaha.

lyndallk
    Participant

Good one surfnrz – I thought your singing was very relaxed. I felt that I had to really push and concentrate to sing and play.

Looking forward to yours Kanae! You should definitely submit no matter what the take is like!

Ricky – love the poster. The Beatles came to Australia in 1964 too. I was 8. My parents wouldn’t let me go, I was so upset. So my sister took me to nearby the stadium where they played and we could hear all the fans screaming! It was fantastic. No music though. Great to try singing and playing with that one.

Like hotmilktea I’m waiting with baited breath for Robin and Tiffany’s version of Because.

robinboyd
    Participant

We’re doing our best. I’m doing John’s part and Tiffany is doing Paul’s part, but my singing keeps throwing her off. I made a video of myself playing and singing for her to practice with, but it’s taking a long time. I have no idea when or if it will be ready.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by robinboyd.
    lyndallk
    Participant

No pressure intended. Just anticipating! Me and my uke partner, Vicki are going to have a go – her doing John, me doing Paul. But that’s quite a way down the track too. Maybe I’ll post when we’re done.

cornishdpt
    Participant

I have to give serious props to anyone who sang this month. Trust me that no one wanted to hear me try that one.

Rickeymike, I went through 3 days of takes to get a solid version of 64 and I thought I had it down too. I almost posted one where I tried to strangle the neck of my uke because I literally screwed up the last line of the song.

Best of luck to everyone out there working on it tonight and tomorrow!

kanae926
    Participant

Haha! That sounds familiar! I’ve knocked my head on the uke neck several times already when I make a dumb mistake. What’s funny is, it’s usually not in the same place of the song twice. I know the song, but playing it clean is the challenge! I’m consistently inconsistent.

I have a slow and sleepy take that I *might* end up using if I can’t get a more livelier and upbeat version by tomorrow night.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 278 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.