Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile'a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2019 Member Challenge – 2nd Chance to WIN a Kanile'a!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 278 total)
  • Author
    jinajupiter
    Participant

How do you make the two rests in ‘When I’m 64’? In bar 34. There is an open string and I don’t see anything spectacular happening with the RH. But I clearly hear the rests.

robinboyd
    Participant

I actually didn’t include the rests when I recorded, but if I did, I would have done it with a left hand pinky mute. Your pinky should be free on your fretting hand. Just lay it lightly over the strings after playing the chords.

jinajupiter
    Participant

I found a way! Lifting the fingers like what you see in gipsy jazz so the note gets short and muting the open string with the RH thumb.

gaberdude
    Participant

Sorry about the kids, they’re harder to control than the ukulele.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by gaberdude.
    kirpuff
    Participant

Needs some work still, but May is a busy month for teachers so if I dont post now, I might not get another chance! Please excuse my background crickets.

Also:

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Listen to If I Fell by kirpuff on #SoundCloud

stinyuke

Thanks a lot Andrew for your help!

rickeymike
    Participant

kirpuff – nice! And I really liked your ending.

kirpuff
    Participant

Thank you Rickeymike:)

timolnz
    Participant

Wow Fantastic Kirpuff…..I’ve been working on this tune (a huge jump for me) too but after hearing your rendition i feel like giving up and heading back to advanced beginner status where i belong.

kirpuff
    Participant

Thank you, timolnz! It’s still a little rough but this is one of my all time favorite Beatles songs so I was very excited to learn it.

But don’t give up on it! We’re all here to improve our playing and add to our repertoire 🙂 looking forward to hearing your recording soon.

becky7777
    Participant

Kirpuff that was great!

Tim- I’m working on the same song. Don’t give up on the tune btw, you will probably get a lot from it. My version doesn’t sound as good as kirpuff’s either, I’m still trying to figure out how the song even goes in spots lol. Anyway if you like the song learn it!!

Andrew
    Keymaster

gaberdude – Excellent job! First thing I noticed is that your playing has great feel and tone. So you’ve got the Intro and most of Melody A down really well, but I can hear that it starts to get a little loose around Bar 15 and throughout Melody B. So I would target your practice there.

The other thing I noticed was that your thumb sticks out a bit too much (for ex: 30 seconds), but then at other times it’s at the perfect location on the back of the neck (for ex: 1:08). Try to keep it at the latter throughout. And for those of you that are reading this feedback, here is why.

kirpuff – Well done, that’s a hard one to play! You’re playing sounds great overall, but my focus would be on the subtleties. So what does that mean, well this is a fairly quick paced tune; but before we play it at that tempo we need to make sure that every note sustains for the entire duration, and sustain so that it connects one note/chord to the next.

Listen to bar 13 in your take (28 seconds), you can hear where this falls a bit short. But if you listen to the bars before it, you are nailing the above. So you’re at the stage where you want to analyze your playing and target your practice to fix areas like this. I’d also suggest to slow the tempo down a notch when working on this.

kirpuff
    Participant

Thanks for your reply, Andrew! I will definitely continue working on it. If time permits I will try to put up an improved version 🙂 thanks again !

lyndallk
    Participant

Hi everyone.

I’m a premium member

Here is my May submission – “Because.” Very challenging to fit the singing and play the uke with the right timing! Thanks for the excellent arrangement! I’m trying very hard not to apologise for my singing – so consider this either an apology or not as you chose to take it!

I did this in the kitchen because we have constant building noise outside our flat these days, and its the quietest room. It seemed to help a little with the tone of the uke that is usually so bad with my iphone mic when in the lounge room. It may be my new recording studio. With a cup of tea so handy! Hope you like my ukulele shopping list black board.

Anyway, I had to sing it how I remembered it (which may be a little made up) from 1969 when I bought The Beatles White Album the day it came into the record shop. And then I had the portrait head shots of each of the Beatles on my bedroom wall for many years thereafter….

robinboyd
    Participant

I love how you got the “aaaaah” bit at the end. I took notes on your timing and realised I had been messing up part of it. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 278 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.