November 1, 2021 at 1:04 pm #49140
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #56! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a K-2 Ukulele! This tenor sized model is crafted with premium Koa wood and retails for $2,134 USD.
I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 2,700+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. And I offer feedback on ALL submissions! 🙂
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 RC101 Lessons:
1) “Etude in E minor” by Francisco Tárrega * – This beginner-friendly etude is a perfect entry point into playing classical music.
Note: This lesson is for solo ukulele.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
2) “Valse Venezolano no. 2” by Antonio Lauro – A melodic and fast-paced Venezuelan waltz arranged as a duet for low G and baritone ukulele.
Note: This lesson is a duet. If you choose this piece, you MUST perform the low G (lead) part to the backing track (baritone part). You can perform to either the 100% or 75% speed backing track.
Performing the baritone part will not count as an entry. Premium membership is required to download the backing track.
3) “James Bond” Theme – A cunning theme fit for a spy; this arrangement includes a full band backing track to authentically recreate the original recording.
Note: This song is performed as a trio. If you choose this piece, you MUST perform to either the 100%, 75%, or 50% speed backing track.
Premium membership is required to download the backing track.
4) “Motown Medley” – In this medley, you’ll learn 4 classic Motown songs:
“I Want You Back” and “Who’s Lovin’ You” by the Jackson 5 (Level 4 and Level 2)
“Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell (Level 2)
“Signed, Sealed, Delivered” by Stevie Wonder (Level 3)
Note: This medley is performed as a quartet. You can perform it on either high or low G ukulele.
If you choose this piece, you MUST perform to either the 100%, 75%, or 50% speed backing track. The backing track includes vocals. No singing is required.
Premium membership is required to download the backing track.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Don’t worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “Etude in E minor”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Valse Venezolano no. 2”, “James Bond” Theme, OR “Motown Medley”
3. Participation Goal: 100 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 RC101 pieces anytime between Monday, November 1st till Tuesday, November 30th, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our October Challenge: Moon Songs!
Second Chance: Participate in our November Challenge: Solo to Ensemble!
Third Chance: Participate in our December Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On Christmas Eve (December 24th at 12 PM EST), I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele!
To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize.
You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of November and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
Note: Previous Kanile’a winners are more than welcome to participate, but will not receive an entry for the prize.
1) $2,134 Grand Prize! Includes:
OUR 6 PREVIOUS KANILE’A WINNERS! WILL YOU BE NEXT?
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED!
K-2 Tenor Ukulele
Premium Curly Koa Body
Solid Mahogany Neck Thin Black/White/Black Rosette Black Front Binding
Ebony Fingerboard, Bridge, and Head Plate
Standard Kanile`a Crown Headstock
Kanile`a Open Geared Tuners
Ebony Bridge Pins
NuBone Nut and Saddle
Pāua (Abalone) Position Markers and Logo
Other Features: Includes a semi-rigid case by Music Area
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!November 1, 2021 at 1:44 pm #49142gi_gi_Participant
This is gonna be fun. Valse Venezolano for me. It’s been in my favorites. Have to start practices now if I’m gonna learn this. Thanks for the beautiful arrangement.November 2, 2021 at 6:14 pm #49179gi_gi_Participant
Learning 4 bars on one day is proving to be the best advice for me. Seems impossible but then little by little the songs gets chipped away. Thanks.November 2, 2021 at 8:23 pm #49180
That’s awesome! Keep up the good work 🙂November 3, 2021 at 9:24 am #49184marlongasParticipant
I’ve already learned it.I love Tarrega’s compositions.Thank you!!! I’m a premium memberNovember 3, 2021 at 9:58 am #49185November 3, 2021 at 1:14 pm #49186marlongasParticipant
Thank you!! She prefers uke than electric guitar,I’m sure…November 3, 2021 at 1:24 pm #49187November 3, 2021 at 3:26 pm #49188rickeymikeParticipant
Exceptional, marlongas!November 4, 2021 at 7:35 am #49196
Am a premium member and I will award 2 entries for November too!! so am back again 🤩just a good way to make as learn many songs we like 🙏🏻☺️November 4, 2021 at 8:40 am #49197
Can I have some help with Etude piece with the shape of changing chords from G7sus4 to E7 shape for the notes I struggle little bit there with transitionsNovember 4, 2021 at 8:41 am #49198
Very nice 😊November 4, 2021 at 12:54 pm #49199November 4, 2021 at 2:50 pm #49201November 5, 2021 at 8:40 am #49204ukandreaParticipant
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
Great song choice but quite challenging this month.
So I decided to go for the Etude and focus on improving and practicing techniques.
It is super satisfying and relaxing to play this Etude. I cannot stop repeating it again and again.
I highly suggest to watch Steven’s in-depth-tutorial even if you could just play it from the notes. There are so many hidden treasures for improving skills.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.