Andrew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,621 through 1,635 (of 4,195 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: New Ukulele #47633
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    A buddy of mine plays a guitar made out of CF. I always thought they were cool and your uke sounds and looks awesome!

    in reply to: How to turn up a whole step from G to A? #47622
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    The first one. Tune the string up until it says A on your tuner 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @henri0 – Brilliant playing! I’ll be sure to send it to Stephen. He’s gonna love it 🙂

    in reply to: Greetings #47595
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Yes, you’ll have access to every course and every lesson.

    I’d recommend starting with the Beginner’s Course. If you’re familiar with some of the concepts it covers, you can skip over those lessons. Either way, it’s always great to review the fundamentals of playing.

    in reply to: Greetings #47593
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Welcome, @angelsian! I’m glad you found us 🙂

    For our lessons, the best place to start is here. Learning Paths helps you create a practice plan tailored towards your interests, while also showing you where to start and ideas on what to work on. If you ever need help on the lessons, don’t hesitate to ask!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @ukandrea – Sounds great, Andrea! As you continue to practice, I want you to focus on timing and playing to a click. And def post a follow up closer to the end of the month 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    We did it! We crushed the Spring Challenges!

    201 members participated in our last 3 challenges and I have been blown away by everyone’s performances! Thanks to each and everyone of you who participated.

    We are going live at 12 PM EST (check your local time zone) on July 4th to announce the winner of the $1,400 Kanile’a Baritone Ukulele AND the custom painted uke from our May Challenge! The live stream link is below:

    —-

    Here is everyone who participated this month. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

    mark1256
    mark1256
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    misterbones
    misterbones
    sebi75
    sebi75
    lisadmh
    lisadmh
    lyndallk
    lyndallk
    lisa-k
    lisa-k
    dennisdickens
    dennisdickens
    nthibode
    nthibode
    stianukulele
    stianukulele
    johanna2509
    johanna2509
    barbecueblack
    barbecueblack
    morrieuke1
    morrieuke1
    bethany_guardiani
    bethany_guardiani
    brettboy
    brettboy
    biancak
    biancak
    shmu88
    shmu88
    qiuyan
    qiuyan
    andrewvh
    andrewvh
    debb1985
    debb1985
    june2020
    june2020
    ccwuke
    ccwuke
    bomarkt
    bomarkt
    wongbrown
    wongbrown
    robinl
    gstriph
    gstriph
    laurakarr12
    laurakarr12
    mademoiselleannette
    katazumiri
    ldarrow
    ldarrow
    lbilkie
    lbilkie
    marianne
    marianne
    lhamilton
    lhamilton
    ukandrea
    ukandrea
    richard_siegert
    isabelm
    isabelm
    chiaracasella
    chiaracasella
    ukulelee
    ukulelee
    terryfallon3
    terryfallon3
    givingtree89
    givingtree89
    joelnal
    joelnal
    themccoys
    themccoys
    joe150
    joe150
    riley_ukulele
    riley_ukulele
    bibilele
    bibilele
    sarahd
    sarahd
    seoulkim
    seoulkim
    brithor
    brithor
    concan
    concan
    cheun133
    acornjasper
    acornjasper
    lisamcc
    lisamcc
    iyers408
    iyers408
    karenj
    karenj
    mac1984
    mac1984
    timolnz
    timolnz
    emiliano
    emiliano
    sylus9
    kelsey91
    john316
    john316

    —-

    P.S. Stephen will post feedback for folks on page 8 soon 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @john316 – I’ll be posting the entry list shortly for June. But I’ve got you down for 6 entries total 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Hey Brett! The JH arr. is super cool. So I’d skip learning a song you already know how to play in one form.

    You’re right, the 2 new ones would be easy for you. If you choose one, I’d go for Wipe Out. It’ll be more challenging with that rhythm breakdown in the middle and the sheer speed of the piece.

    If time is your biggest concern, I’d brush up on Aloha.

    But my vote is Wipe Out. I think it’s the most fun choice. But can you trust me? I’m biased and it’s my arr LOL

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @lisamcc – no worries, I fixed it 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @lisa-k – Sounds much smoother! Great job, Lisa 🙂


    @sebi75
    – Sounds awesome! Check out the feedback I left for @shmu88 here. It’s got a great backing track you can jam to!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Here’s everyone on page 4 and 5 that I hadn’t gotten to yet.

    laurakarr12 – Sounds great! Only suggestion I have is to work on 4 bar sections at a time. This way you can focus on timing and keeping it steady. Should help eliminate any pauses 🙂

    mademoiselleannette – Well done! Playing sounds great, but some of the rhythms you played were incorrect. For example, the last strum in measure 1 should be a quarter note.

    Check out this lesson. It’s got 11 exercises to help you with counting and playing rhythms. But if you want to go for gold, the best way to really understand rhythm and timing is by learning to read music.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Friendly Reminder – The deadline for receiving feedback and an entry into the giveaway is tonight at 11:59 PM EST (check your local time zone).

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @robinl – You nailed the feel good vibe! Well done!


    @gstriph
    – Great job, Jerry! For the triplet strum, try practicing with a metronome. You can even subdivide the beat like this video shows. Working on it this way is essentially looping – which will help you get the motion and timing down so that you nail it each time.

    Furthermore, I’d work on 4 back sections with the goal of playing it steady in time. Don’t worry about speed, just focus on note/chord clarity and timing.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @qiuyan – Nice job on the triplet strum! Performance was great overall! Looks like some of the transitions were a little bit tricky. Target your practice there and make sure you have it memorized so you can focus on building muscle memory with your hands.

    But for real, great job this month! Keep up the great work 🙂


    @andrewvh
    – It’s a pretty night and day difference between the two videos! I’m very impressed with how much progress you’ve made, Andrew!

    So here’s an interesting thing I picked up on the new take. If you watch your performance all the way through, take note of how you’re playing lighter/softer in the beg to middle and then towards the end you are plucking very strongly. Sometimes this happens when we play songs that are lengthy and/or challenging. Just something for you to be aware of.

    What size is your Uke? I think it’s a concert? I wonder if you tried it on a larger size, you’d find this song easier to play because of the larger frets. If you find yourself at a music store, maybe cycle through this song and see what you think.


    @debb1985
    – Fantastic feel. You aced the vibe! I want you to work on the 4th bar of Melody B. See if you can grab that last chord a little bit quicker so the tempo stays a bit more steady. That’s the only thing I can nitpick lol. Keep up the great work!


    @june2020
    – Bravo, June! That’s really amazing for such short playing time. Your form for both hands looks great. The best advice I can give for you is to try to memorize the piece, that way you can focus on just playing it. Start with four bar sections at a time. Play while reading the music, and then turn the music around and try without it. Don’t move on to the next four bars until you can play by memory. That’s always been the way that worked the best for me.

    And totally normal for the low G to be pronounced. It’s the thickest string and will ring the loudest. So while you’re playing, just be aware of how hard you’re plucking/strumming it.


    @ccwuke
    – Beautifully played, Chris! Keep up the great work 🙂


    @bomarkt
    – Well done, Bo! So the big thing I’d suggest working on is lightening up your attack. Here’s a video I made awhile back for another member that touches on this subject. While it references a different song, everything I mentioned can be applied towards this song or playing in general.


    @wongbrown
    – I think this is your best performance to date. Beautifully played, excellent job!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,621 through 1,635 (of 4,195 total)