Andrew

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,636 through 1,650 (of 4,195 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: How Deep Is Your Love – Bee Gees #47485
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Playing sounds great, Andrea! Only thing I’d suggest is to work on timing – some of the notes/phrases are a little rushed. Try to count the rhythms while you play or you could sing the lyrics along too 🙂

    in reply to: Fingerpicking Etude #3 C2 to F1 transition #47444
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    It might be due to how you’re holding the uke. Here’s a video I made to help another member out. I’ll also paste additional lessons that touch on this topic. Here is the first and second lesson I recommend reviewing.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @barbecueblack – Fantastic performance! I only have a couple suggestions for you. First, I’d work on cleaning up your playing a little bit, specifically eliminating buzzy notes. And there’s a few pauses, so target your practice in those transition areas.


    @morrieuke1
    – I love that tremolo/reverb sound. Fits this song perfectly! And your performance was excellent, you aced this one! Well done!


    @bethany_guardiani
    – I think that’s one of the best fingerstyle performances I’ve heard from you! The best advice I can give is to keep doing what you doing. It’s really cool hearing you progress 🙂

    I do have one suggestion: try to keep the ending ritardando a little bit more linear in its flow. Again really good job this month, keep up the great work!


    @brettboy
    – This has to be one of my favorite performances from you! The changes you added were very tasteful, and as always, the feel/vibe is spot on. I’m definitely going to share this this week!


    @biancak
    – Excellent performance! And great feel to your playing too!


    @shmu88
    – Your take was great, Sam! One of the reasons we do so many band arrangements is because it’s a great way to work on timing and groove.

    While this arrangement was presented as a solo piece, there’s usually an array of backing tracks you can find on YouTube. Here’s a great one that I’d practice along with. It’ll help you develop both of those areas:

    in reply to: 2nd last note in Greensleeves :) #47423
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Traditionally it ends on i (Dm), so the last few notes play out if it in my arrangement to stay true to it.

    If you swap that note to C#, you’re creating more tension. I’d play it on string 1, fret 4 and end with an octave of the D note: X2X5. Sounds cool though!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Sounds great, Lisa! One suggestion, that section that starts at 1:26 (and earlier in song, too), try to ramp up to full volume instead of start at full volume. Here’s an analogy: If I say run, you don’t just start at full speed, you got to walk – jog – run to get there.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @lyndallk – That’s much better IMO! That tempo gives it vibe! Well done 🙂


    @stianukulele
    – Sometime’s one take is all you need! Well played and I dig the subtle changes on the solo 🙂


    @johanna2509
    – You played it beautifully, Johanna! Keep up the good work!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @lisa-k – sounds great!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @sebi75 – Nicely done! So I’d suggest a couple things as you continue working on it. First, check out this lesson for help on the triplet strum. Focus on getting the rhythm of the 8th note triplet down.

    Second, slow the tempo of the piece down so you can focus on cleaning up your playing. I’d work on 4 or 8 bar sections at a time.

    But overall, it was great! Work on these two things and you’ll be rockin’ and rollin’ 🙂


    @lisadmh
    – Your finesse is so good these days! It’s really impressive how far you’ve come in that regard. I think it’s cool that you mix different attacks. It’s kind of like mixing spices in a dish. But I think what you may be looking for is this:

    I made this video for Robin a couple years ago and it talks about how you can use a uniformed approach for dynamics. It kind of creates a swaying effect. And I think this is that next step for you to experiment with. Let me know what you think. Oh, and you can also mix rubato in with this too 🙂


    @lyndallk
    – I think your new video perfectly demonstrates the biggest benefit of memorizing a piece: You get to focus 100% on how you’re playing it. And for those of you who are reading this feedback, check out this lesson as it discusses why this is so important.

    Your new take has a lot more emotion and dynamics. And I really like the slide effect too! My only suggestion for you is to slow the tempo down. To me, this has always been a slower-paced song.


    @lisa-k
    – You asked a great question on how strum attacks relate to timing. Here’s a video showing you just that 🙂


    @dennisdickens
    – Very nicely played, Dennis! Only thing I’d say is continue working on the B Melody. Keep up the great work!


    @nthibode
    – Beautifully played, Nathalie! Love the ambience you created too 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @misterbones – Very well done, Michael! Timing and playing sounds great! Only thing I’d point out is the 3rd and 4th bars in the solo. Those hits should be more staccato-y since they are grace notes sliding in on the &’s and resting on the down beats. Plus playing them like that just sounds really cool. Gives a neat texture to the note.

    But dude, A+ this month! It was VERY good!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @robinboyd – I’m with Rickey, your playing touch is much more refined. Well done!

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @cinichol – I’m not sure I understand what you are asking. Can you elaborate?

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Essentially, yes.

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @mark1256 – Sounds awesome, Mark! I like the intro/outro and the changes you threw in there. You nailed the feel/vibe of the tune. Well done! At this point, I’d target your practice on the tricky transitions. That should iron out any gaps in timing.


    @marianne
    – *EDIT* Whoops – I initially answered thinking of Jailhouse Rock. For Sleep Walk, I’d recommend using a low G. It’s going to sound off with high G.

    • This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Andrew.
    in reply to: Ei Nei Waltz Part 1 #47218
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Sounds great! Good job on getting the playful vibe down 🙂

    Andrew
    Keymaster

    Wow! 63 members joined us for this month’s challenge! It has truly been a pleasure for Stephen and I to watch everyone’s performances and offer our humble feedback. BIG thanks to each of you who participated and bravo on a job well done!

    Our June Challenge is LIVE and the theme is: 50’s Rock Songs! I hope each of you joins us again.

    Below, I will post a list of members who participated in the May challenge for your second chance to win the Kanile’a Ukulele. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

    —-

    smokealot
    smokealot
    mark1256
    mark1256
    debb1985
    debb1985
    tric_o_tronic
    tric_o_tronic
    bibilele
    bibilele
    ldarrow
    ldarrow
    sebi75
    sebi75
    kirpuff
    kirpuff
    ukandrea
    ukandrea
    samash07
    samash07
    marlongas
    marlongas
    bethany_guardiani
    bethany_guardiani
    shmu88
    shmu88
    lbilkie
    lbilkie
    ukule_lise
    ukule_lise
    katazumiri
    ccwuke
    ccwuke
    clempek
    clempek
    bomarkt
    bomarkt
    misterbones
    misterbones
    stianukulele
    stianukulele
    qiuyan
    qiuyan
    brettboy
    brettboy
    wongbrown
    wongbrown
    ukulelee
    ukulelee
    robinl
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    morrieuke1
    morrieuke1
    nthibode
    nthibode
    brithor
    brithor
    marianne
    marianne
    mademoiselleannette
    lhamilton
    lhamilton
    timolnz
    timolnz
    richard_siegert
    johanna2509
    johanna2509
    henri0
    henri0
    gstriph
    gstriph
    bemarlie
    bemarlie
    joe150
    joe150
    riberbula
    riberbula
    andrewvh
    andrewvh
    joelnal
    joelnal
    ukealori
    ukealori
    chiaracasella
    chiaracasella
    riley_ukulele
    riley_ukulele
    sarahd
    sarahd
    seoulkim
    seoulkim
    biancak
    biancak
    givingtree89
    givingtree89
    concan
    concan
    karenj
    karenj
    maryjanew
    maryjanew
    dennisdickens
    dennisdickens
    cheun133
    b_ukes_101
    b_ukes_101
    themccoys
    themccoys
    mac1984
    mac1984
    taylor22jane

    taylor22jane
    dividedsky
    dividedsky
    emiliano
    emiliano
    john316
    john316

    —-

    BONUS GIVEAWAY LIST

    sebi75
    kirpuff
    shmu88
    misterbones
    brettboy
    morrieuke1
    nthibode
    marianne
    lhamilton
    henri0
    bemarlie
    riberbula
    andrewvh
    chiaracasella
    riley_ukulele
    taylor22jane
    emiliano

Viewing 15 posts - 1,636 through 1,650 (of 4,195 total)