Participate in the April 2020 Member Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the April 2020 Member Challenge – WIN Kanile’a Tenor Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 345 total)
  • Author
    Steven
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMEBER

So this is my rendition of Hone A Ka Wai – just in time! Only recently joined Rock Class 101 but loving the community and loving everyones excellent uploads for this competeition 🙂

Hopefully this works…..

surfnrz

@sgwarren
    That was fantastic!

sgorsuch
    Participant

@sgwarren

Very Nice!! i am going to watch this quite a few times. Your transitions and intonation was so smooth. It looked like your uke was anchored- it never moved. really nice job

Steven
    Participant

@surfnrz & @sgorsuch
    Thanks so much! I was a little nervous with this being my first upload so I really appreciate the kind words 🙂

kkaszuba
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I have been playing ukulele for approximately 6 months, so the triple strum is still quite a challenge for me, but I’m enjoying working to get it faster and smoother. I started learning Loke Lani 2 weeks ago as I only recently joined Rock Class 101.

For the first 4 months or so, I was playing with a local kanikapila, but it required singing (not my strong suit!) and only strumming chords. I wanted more so that, eventually, I can play solo arrangements in which I don’t need to embarrass myself by singing. Rock Class 101 is proving perfect!

This is my first time entering a challenge, so I hope I did so correctly. I would have liked to learn “Hone A Ka Wai,” but my ukulele is strung with a low-G, so I thought Loke Lani a better choice. Guess I need to win this Kanile’a P-1 Pineapple Ukulele so I’ll have a second strung with a high-G!

goody2shoes
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER!

G’day from Australia, Everyone. I’ve been teaching myself uke for about a year now, but only signed up to Rockclass101 a month ago. Looking forward to some supercharged progress! Here’s my first submission!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by goody2shoes.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by goody2shoes.
    b_ukes_101

I am a premium member.

I really enjoyed playing this arrangement of Loke Lani and am already looking forward to next month’s challenge. Thank you Andrew for making such an amazing website. I apologize for any background noise.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by b_ukes_101.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by b_ukes_101.
    ukuleleloo
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

Here’s my entry for this month’s challenge. I’m playing Hone A Ka Wai
    I’m a premium member.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by ukuleleloo.
    laurakarr12
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
    Hone A Ka Wai

philbateau

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

My first ever entry. I hope to improve quality in terms of musicianship and recording in the future 😉

Stephen

Hi Mary Grace, due to the high amount of entries, I’m only able to give feedback for first entries. Sorry I can’t do more, but I’m so glad so many people are in this challenge and that so many have done multiple entries! You are all playing so well!

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 12:

holly1 – I love the ukulele! Great playing on this one! You have the timing, notes, and feel down! Even the stretches are working pretty well. The hardest part of the triplet strum is getting a defined sound out of all three strums. It may be a matter of developing some muscle in the wrist, but the last two strums often come out a bit quieter than the first. The best way to get it to sound more like Matt’s is to slow it down to focus on getting each of the strums to close to equal volume and then work it up to speed. Recording to it and listening back are the best ways to see if you have it clear at the current tempo before speeding it up. Keep up the great work, this technique is tricky, and you’re very close to mastering it!

brightwing – You’re off to a great start on this! You have the notes down, and you’re very close on the rhythm! The triplet strum is tough to get right: Every strum within it is evenly spaced, and it starts on the downbeat of beat two. Right now you are starting it a tiny bit early and changing the feel from triplet’s to 16th notes. Make sure to start the triplet right on the downbeat of beat 2 (if you were counting “one two three, one two three,” it would start right when you say “two”). I like to count them as “one two-a-lit three” to keep track of the timing. Aside from this, it’s just a matter of getting the chord shifts a bit quicker on the left hand. Great job, keep up the good work!

debb1985 – Very nice job on this one! You got all the notes smoothly with no fret buzz, even on the faster runs. Now is a great time to experiment with adding volume swells and really exaggerating the tempo swells into each phrase. Wonderful playing, keep it up!

kanae926 – You did an excellent job on this! Although measure 9 had a muted note or two the second time around, you had already played it once very well, so I know you can do it! The hardest part of performing is consistency: it just takes even more slow, intentional practice to get to the point where it’s easier to play difficult passages multiple times in the same song. Try just looping that one section until you are sick of hearing it, and then you’ll get it every time. It’s a small detail in the grand scheme of things. You’re playing was great on this!

lhamilton – You have a great feel throughout this one! It seems like it’s only measure 9 the second time through that’s giving you any trouble at all. You know how to do it, so just keep on practicing until you “can’t mess it up.” You’re doing great!

cyukug – Beautifully done! There’s not much I can add to your wonderful performance unless you want to exaggerate the volume swells into each phrase for fun. Keep up the great playing!

simonalexander – If that’s limping through the piece, then I’m very impressed either way. Great job playing at that quick tempo! It seems like it’s just slight things with measure 9 that’s tricky for everyone. I would play just a touch slower to get that passage as smooth as possible, and then listen closely for strings ringing out in between phrases. Muting is very hard in such a fast paced piece, so if you play it slowly, you might come up with some ideas to reduce the string noise more easily. Really great playing, keep it up!

artcrocker – You are off to a great start! You seem to have the notes under your fingers quite well, now it’s time to focus on keeping an even tempo while playing. To do this, I recommend either playing to a metronome, the backing track, or the on screen tab player. If you don’t have access to any of those, try using youtube to slow down the tempo and play along with the recording at a slightly slower speed. You have the hardest part down, now it’s just a bit more work! You’re doing great so far!

timtamaus
    Participant

Not a Premium member (but Dad is!)

Hi from Australia! I’m 11 and have been teaching myself uke for the past year but we’ve only just signed up to RockClass101. This is my entry for Day-O for the April challenge. Hope you like it!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by timtamaus.
    ivo_zag

Howdy,
    I’ve been playing for a month but I am anticipating impatiently every new tutorial you fellas release!

cimarronsailor
    Participant

I am a premium member.

This is my first time ever trying something like this. Please be gentle. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 345 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.