Participate in the June 2018 Member Challenge – Classical Themed!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2018 Member Challenge – Classical Themed!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    vidafntn
    Participant

Hi, Andrew,

Sustain is something that I seem to have difficulty properly applying. The question is how the sustain is achieved. When playing the A and B melodies do I keep my finger on the first note of the measure until I strike the second, then release both at the same time? It seems to work and sound better.
    Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Vida

Andrew
    Keymaster

Yes, you’ve got it Vida 🙂

trmzbg
    Participant

Actually i felt like the waltz is harder to play than allegro :d

rickeymike
    Participant

I agree, Trmzbg. I switched from waltz to allegro in middle of month. But then I saw Andrew’s America The Beautiful so I ditched Allegro to start working on something to play for July 4th. Maybe Andrew will include it in his July challenge………And I’m sure Andrew will kindly scold me for switching up so much. Ha.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Lol Rickey! July Challenge will be American Themed 🙂 So, it will def be one of the choices.

suzie1
    Participant

Andrew, thanks for the tips, I will definitely put those to it. Just getting used to playing cause about a year ago my uke got smashed and I just now glued it back together haha, started learning Waltz in C, Fur Elise, and Mr. Sandman. Also planning on learning Here Comes the Sun very soon. So thank you again for the premium membership. I really appreciate it!

suesbarn
    Participant

@Trmzbg yes, I also thought the allegro was easier!

Andrew – I am recording with garageband on an old ipad mini. I also heard the wavering notes – so tried to record using my cheap headphones with attached mic. That did not help. not sure how else to record well and cheaply.

It’s a shame, because i have the use of a very nice uke for the last week which sounds gorgeous in real life.

kmelton
    Participant

Yeah, thought you might key up on my right hand form, as it definitely looked different from the other member performances. I’ll try to post a video once I fix THAT bad habit.

I actually started out with more of a claw shape, but it’s changed the last 2 weeks. My problem is that my timing on the 8th notes gets out of whack unless I delay my thumb. Does that make sense? I can post something if it helps.

carmen-s
    Participant

I wanted a challenge for this month and oh boy I got it, I’m still not able to concentrate too much on dynamics with this piece and I don’t know why but I struggled a lot with this song, I’m playing it at 80% of speed at 90% and 100% I get a lot more sloppy, but I’m really happy that I actually got to this point, I still need to work on it for sure

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hey Kevin, not sure I follow on “delay thumb – outta time”… I’d say practice with the claw and let’s see how that goes 🙂

wongbrown

I am submitting the June Challenge. I’m so pleased that I am able to make it on time. Despite some glitches, I found myself improving. So thankful to Andrew. Without Rockclass101, I am still strumming casually in the pub with others 😂
    Looking forward to your previous feedback🤓

Stephen

Hey Deb, so sorry for the late reply! My thumb typically stays behind my index and middle fingers, halfway down the neck on the back, sliding with the rest of the hand, but occasionally it ends up further to the left than that. This happens when I’m playing higher frets past where the body of the u-bass starts. I hope this helps!

Thank you,
    Stephen

marni11
    Participant

Hi, Andrew!
    Just a quick question on the song “Allegro”. When I tap with my thumb on bars 17 to 20, it doesn’t seem to be very loud. Is that because my ukulele is plastic, or is it a problem I can fix?
    Thanks,
    Marni

Andrew
    Keymaster

Might be, Marni. I need to stop by Uke Republic this week, prob gonna go tomorrow and can try one out and see if it sounds quieter than wood.

suzums
    Participant

First time recording myself playing an instrument. It has definitely been an interesting learning process and cool to watch everyone elses! Thanks for holding the contest!

Here goes!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by suzums.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.