Participate in the June 2019 Member Challenge – LAST Chance to WIN a Kanile’a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2019 Member Challenge – LAST Chance to WIN a Kanile’a!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 273 total)
  • Author
    abaluyot
    Participant

Love it!

lisamcc
    Participant

Lovely playing Abaluyot!
    Thank you Rickey! I’m frustrated about the mistakes in the playing…. but couldn’t cope with anymore takes or I would have started to sound like Barry White! Normally I’m fine with the singing – but it took me a while to work out the melody line for this. Loving being part of this group. xxx

abaluyot
    Participant

Hi Lisa! Thanks very much. I’m really impressed with your entry. That is NOT an easy song to master — you did a fantastic job!

a

lisamcc
    Participant

Thank you Abaluyot!

jinajupiter
    Participant

Well done Stian! This song brings me memories of my father.
    And Lisa too 🙂 great you nailed the song! I still find it so hard, so many words.
    Abaluyot, you have great rhythm. Excuse my curiosity, what is that oblong instrument hanging on the wall behind you?

robinboyd
    Participant

I really need a few more days to get this polished, but I’m going on Holiday to Cairns the day after tomorrow and I just can’t devote any more time to it. Basically, it’s fine except that I’m still not entirely comfortable so I sped up halfway though the first verse and then brought it back into a good tempo by the end of the song. Anyway, it would have been sooooo much better if I could have posted next week.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by robinboyd.
    abaluyot
    Participant

Hi jinajupiter! Thank you. The long skinny instrument is called a Strumstick and the other is a Tiny Tenor by Romero Creations. Glad to meet you!

jinajupiter
    Participant

Wow Robin, what a great job. Just wondering, are you strumming the back beat? And are you plucking the 4th note of the pattern? I like this sound! So far I was just tapping on the fretboard, but myself didn’t really like the outcome so far. Thanks for showing this option. It looks like you are strumming with your index in the chorus and bridge mainly? Also the chorus with a D shape makes more sense instead of omitting the 4th string, and sounds fuller, but I got used to this now. Yes it is very hard not to speed up, I generally end faster then I started. I am considering to sneak in a visual metronome out of side of the cam. But maybe not, it might sound a bit clumsy. Better to (not on purpose) accelerate and flow…..
    P.s. enjoy your holidays.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by jinajupiter.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by jinajupiter.
    robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Jina,

Yeah, the D shape was something that I asked Andrew about before I did it.

When you are asking about the 4th note, I assume you are talking about the verses? In that case, yes, I’m plucking it, but it isn’t very apparent and I miss it half the time. I decided that rather than tapping the fretboard, I am more comfortable chunking to get the percussive sound, so I replaced the tap with a chunk. The trouble with that is that I end up with my hand out of position for the 4th beat, so rather than plucking with 2 fingers, I’m strumming up with the index, but missing the C and G strings. I hope that makes sense.

I know I took a few liberties with this arrangement. I hope that’s OK.

rickeymike
    Participant

Great job, Robin. Happy Winter vacation. Don’t let the Crocs bite!

Andrew
    Keymaster

beebee & donovan – Way to go guys! Here is my feedback for you, Bibi.

Lessons I referenced:

1) https://rockclass101.com/proper-left-hand-ukulele-form/

2) https://rockclass101.com/proper-right-hand-ukulele-form/

stianukulele – Beautiful playing! Here is my feedback for you.

Lesson I referenced: https://rockclass101.com/swung-vs-straight-rhythm/

johanna2509 – Well done! Here’s a video for help with counting rhythms for the intro. Here is the lesson I referenced and our Reading Course.

lisamcc – That was awesome, Lisa! The only critique I can offer is to watch the tempo, as you sped up here and there. Keep up the great work 🙂

abaluyot – So awesome! Here is my feedback for you.

robinboyd – That was excellent, Robin! Check out the video that I shot above for, johanna2509, which talks about the trickiness of the rhythm for the intro. I gave a tip in the video for how you can write the rhythm above the tab/notation and how to practice counting and clapping before playing to help get it down.

surfnrz

Here is my June submission. I never had heard this song before this challenge now I’ve grown to love it! I Can’t thank Andrew, Katie and the whole crew enough for these wonderful lessons and opportunities. I’ve loved learning these Songs! Looking forward to more! I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@surfnrz – Dang Ray, you killed those vocals! Excellent playing too 🙂

So I’ve noticed a few of you guys have trouble with the intro. Here are the hits written out (non hits or ties are in parentheses). Check out the video that I shot above for, johanna2509, which talks about the trickiness of the rhythm for the intro. I gave a tip in the video for how you can write the rhythm above the tab/notation and how to practice counting and clapping before playing to help get it down.

Keep in mind it has a swung 8th note feel.

(1) & 2 & 3 & 4 &

1 & 2 & (3) & 4 &

(1) & 2 & (3) & 4 &

(1) & 2 & (3) & 4 (&)

surfnrz

Thanks Andrew! I had a really tough time memorizing the rhythm of the intro! When I played along with Katie I had it, but on my own I always forgot it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by surfnrz.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Sometimes when you play along with us, or the record, and if you don’t try it on your own (not directed to you, Ray – in general this happens), it kind of becomes a crutch, as in you need a guide to be able to do it.

To counter this, I’d memorized the rhythms and play along to a click. Start easy, one or two bars at a time and try to count the rhythm as you play it. This will help you break away from needing a reference guide.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 273 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.