Participate in the June 2021 Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2021 Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    misterbones
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Playing along with a backing track, listening to and staying in sync with music other than my own while playing was completely new to me. I have to admit so far I haven’t even bothered to use a metronome while practicing (big mistake, I know). Hence my ongoing timing issues in many of the past challenges. I was really thrilled when I saw this arrangement of Jailhouse Rock being released by Rockclass101.com, and even more so when I saw it was included in the June challenge. So it was a no-brainer for me, this would be my pick for the June challenge, as it is super fun to learn and to play, yet with a manageable difficulty level, making it the perfect song for learning to play along with a backing track. For me it’s just what the doctor ordered. Here’s my take, I apologize for the sound quality, and the solo still needs some polishing, but overall I’m quite happy with the result.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@misterbones – Very well done, Michael! Timing and playing sounds great! Only thing I’d point out is the 3rd and 4th bars in the solo. Those hits should be more staccato-y since they are grace notes sliding in on the &’s and resting on the down beats. Plus playing them like that just sounds really cool. Gives a neat texture to the note.

But dude, A+ this month! It was VERY good!

sebi75

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER,

My attempt on Rock around the clock.
    Some parts are still not perfect and the camera doesn´t make it easier for me 🙂
    But i hope you like it, at least it is a fun song to play!
    Whish you all a great weekend.
    Greetings Sebastian

lisadmh
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I may repost later, better, but I’m posting now to take the pressure off. I think it’s decent, but it’s never good enough. Help me make it better please!

What I like about my rendition is the variation I’ve got going between arpeggiated strums, strums, and plucks. It’s a little different than the performance video but it’s interesting I think. Am I wrong? 🙂

I looped a theme an extra time but it’s still my best take.

Nice song. It’s going on my Low G set list.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by lisadmh.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by lisadmh.
    lyndallk
    Participant

I’m a premium member

Here’s my original Sleepwalk from October last year and my retake from today. To make it different I added bunch of slides to be reminiscent of the original slide guitar and chorus to the uke sound to make it like its from the 1960s! That was fun.

Oh and I learned it off by heart this time:

Then:

Now:

lisa-k
    Participant

Here’s my early attempt at Sleepwalk. Lots of mistakes and I’m struggling with the first 4 bars of melody B. I’m also finding the flourished strum technique quite tricky – it seems to be throwing my timing off because I’m not doing it quickly enough? Lots of time left to practice though, so I’ll keep at it and maybe post a better version later on. Thank you

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

dennisdickens
    Participant

Hi, I’m a Premium member and this is my 3rd entry for the contest. Sleepwalk

ldarrow
    Participant

@lyndallk love your performance. Lovely song I would like to learn some day. Maybe I will have a low G at some point in the future. Thank you for your performance.

lyndallk
    Participant

Thanks so much @ldarrow. I highly recommend that you get a low g!

nthibode

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here’s my recording of Sleep Walk. It seemed like a good song to play in the dark!

Great playing, everyone! See you all on July 4th 🎸

bomarkt
    Participant

wow @sebi75 that’s awesome👍 and all the sleep walk recordings are amaxing👍🙌

Andrew
    Keymaster

@sebi75 – Nicely done! So I’d suggest a couple things as you continue working on it. First, check out this lesson for help on the triplet strum. Focus on getting the rhythm of the 8th note triplet down.

Second, slow the tempo of the piece down so you can focus on cleaning up your playing. I’d work on 4 or 8 bar sections at a time.

But overall, it was great! Work on these two things and you’ll be rockin’ and rollin’ 🙂

@lisadmh
    – Your finesse is so good these days! It’s really impressive how far you’ve come in that regard. I think it’s cool that you mix different attacks. It’s kind of like mixing spices in a dish. But I think what you may be looking for is this:

I made this video for Robin a couple years ago and it talks about how you can use a uniformed approach for dynamics. It kind of creates a swaying effect. And I think this is that next step for you to experiment with. Let me know what you think. Oh, and you can also mix rubato in with this too 🙂

@lyndallk
    – I think your new video perfectly demonstrates the biggest benefit of memorizing a piece: You get to focus 100% on how you’re playing it. And for those of you who are reading this feedback, check out this lesson as it discusses why this is so important.

Your new take has a lot more emotion and dynamics. And I really like the slide effect too! My only suggestion for you is to slow the tempo down. To me, this has always been a slower-paced song.

@lisa-k
    – You asked a great question on how strum attacks relate to timing. Here’s a video showing you just that 🙂

@dennisdickens
    – Very nicely played, Dennis! Only thing I’d say is continue working on the B Melody. Keep up the great work!

@nthibode
    – Beautifully played, Nathalie! Love the ambience you created too 🙂

lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Andrew. It’s true, certainly parts of the song naturally get louder or softer. I will try to work with that and put some more intention behind it.

lyndallk
    Participant

Thanks Andrew. I’m going to have another go at recording it – might try to channel Nathalie for timing!

nthibode

Thanks @Andrew!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.