Participate in the June 2021 Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2021 Challenge – LAST CHANCE TO WIN Kanile’a

Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    john316

Hi,
    Is there any way to find out how many entries I earned?
    I participated all 3 monthly challenges as Premium member.
    Did I get all 6 entries?

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 7.

joelnal – You’re doing great so far, it seems like it’s mostly a matter of connecting segments at this point. Try playing at a much slower tempo to train your brain and hands to shift to the following parts in tempo rather than pausing between each phrase. Once you can get through the whole song this way, slowly build the tempo to one you like. Then it’s just a bit of extra work on that tricky triple strum, and you’ve got it! Keep it up!

themccoys – So far you’re doing an awesome job! This song is a bit hard, and I like that you are already practicing with a slower tempo. At this point, I would add a metronome and practice isolating the spots where you are hesitating. First play through just the measure before and after the shift that’s causing the pause, then try playing 2 measures before and after each tricky shift. Once you can play through these spots comfortably, keeping the flow through the whole song will become easier. Keep up the great work!

joe150 – You’re getting a hang of the notes! At this point, I would take 4 measure pieces of the song and practice playing through these small pieces with a slow and steady tempo (possibly with the metronome). The chords and notes are sounding good, keep it up and work on the rhythm a bit. You’ve got this!

riley_ukulele – You had a nice fast tempo and a solid groove all of the way through the first 3/4 of the song. Great job on this! It seems like you have a bit more work on the ending, but you are very close! I suggest playing the song at about 75% of that speed until you have the ending solid. For a performance, keeping that flow all of the way through is more important than speed in almost every scenario. Keep it up, you are super close on this one!

bibilele – Wonderful job on this! The hardest part of such a fast and repetitive line is playing it consistently all the way through. Your technique is looking good, so it’s really just a matter of practicing even more (no one likes to hear that, but it’s the only way to get that consistency!). Keep it up, you’re doing an excellent job!

sarahd – You are playing the notes very well with a nice tone on this one! It seems like half of the shifts to different chords are taking you just a tiny bit longer to get to than the tempo allows for. I suggest playing this one with a metronome just a touch slower to encourage your brain and fingers to move in time with the song. It can be nerve-racking at first, but it really helps you to meausure your improvement if you know what tempo you can currently play through the song without hesitations.

seoulkim – Great job on this one! You are playing with a strong sound and a steady tempo over all! There are a few chords that cause you to hesitate slightly, so I would work through those transitions a bit more. After that, just add in the triplet strums. You’re doing great!

brithor – That ukulele has such a beautiful tone! You are doing an awesome job inspite of the injury/healing time. The notes sound great, now it’s time to play just a touch slower and work on playing with a steady tempo. A metronome can help a bit with this, as well as swaying slightly or bobbing your head…just some way to feel the tempo as you play. You’re doing a wonderful job so far, keep it up!

concan – You’re doing a great job! Now it’s time to work on keeping a steady tempo. To do this, pick the hardest part of the song and figure out how slowly you have to play that part to play it correctly. Then play the entire song at that speed. A metronome can help hold you accountable. Sometimes it’s a matter of training the brain to read/remember ahead of the next part of the song to be able to play it at the right time. Keep going, you’re doing great!

cheun133 – Very nicely played! You kept a very steady and consistent tempo, which is very important in this song! Now it’s time to go back to the intro and add the triplet strums in. Excellent job on this one!

acornjasper – Very nicely done! I like that you sway with the rhythm as you play. It definitely feels natural and your tempo was very steady. You seem to have this one down, with just a tiny bit of smoothing out at the very end of the song. Awesome job on this one!

joelnal

Thanks Stephen. I really appreciate the feedback and will try that!

Cheers!
    Joel

Andrew
    Keymaster

@john316 – I’ll be posting the entry list shortly for June. But I’ve got you down for 6 entries total 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

We did it! We crushed the Spring Challenges!

201 members participated in our last 3 challenges and I have been blown away by everyone’s performances! Thanks to each and everyone of you who participated.

We are going live at 12 PM EST (check your local time zone) on July 4th to announce the winner of the $1,400 Kanile’a Baritone Ukulele AND the custom painted uke from our May Challenge! The live stream link is below:

—-

Here is everyone who participated this month. Please let me know if there are any discrepancies.

mark1256
    mark1256
    robinboyd
    robinboyd
    misterbones
    misterbones
    sebi75
    sebi75
    lisadmh
    lisadmh
    lyndallk
    lyndallk
    lisa-k
    lisa-k
    dennisdickens
    dennisdickens
    nthibode
    nthibode
    stianukulele
    stianukulele
    johanna2509
    johanna2509
    barbecueblack
    barbecueblack
    morrieuke1
    morrieuke1
    bethany_guardiani
    bethany_guardiani
    brettboy
    brettboy
    biancak
    biancak
    shmu88
    shmu88
    qiuyan
    qiuyan
    andrewvh
    andrewvh
    debb1985
    debb1985
    june2020
    june2020
    ccwuke
    ccwuke
    bomarkt
    bomarkt
    wongbrown
    wongbrown
    robinl
    gstriph
    gstriph
    laurakarr12
    laurakarr12
    mademoiselleannette
    katazumiri
    ldarrow
    ldarrow
    lbilkie
    lbilkie
    marianne
    marianne
    lhamilton
    lhamilton
    ukandrea
    ukandrea
    richard_siegert
    isabelm
    isabelm
    chiaracasella
    chiaracasella
    ukulelee
    ukulelee
    terryfallon3
    terryfallon3
    givingtree89
    givingtree89
    joelnal
    joelnal
    themccoys
    themccoys
    joe150
    joe150
    riley_ukulele
    riley_ukulele
    bibilele
    bibilele
    sarahd
    sarahd
    seoulkim
    seoulkim
    brithor
    brithor
    concan
    concan
    cheun133
    acornjasper
    acornjasper
    lisamcc
    lisamcc
    iyers408
    iyers408
    karenj
    karenj
    mac1984
    mac1984
    timolnz
    timolnz
    emiliano
    emiliano
    sylus9
    kelsey91
    john316
    john316

—-

P.S. Stephen will post feedback for folks on page 8 soon 🙂

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 8 that entered in time:

lisamcc – You played this one very nicely! Great feel, timing, and clarity! If you would like, now’s a good time to experiment with dynamics. If you start each phrase quietly and crescendo to the middle of the phrase, then decrescendo towards the end of the phrase, the music almost feels like it’s breathing. This can add an extra emotional appeal to your performance. Note that it’s not always exactly like this on every phrase, use your intuition to decide which parts swelling in volume create the right feel. Excellent work on this one!

iyers408 – Great job picking a good tempo to work at. I know it’s very hard to play at that slower pace, and you are slightly ahead on some of the faster section. You did a great job of coming back to the timing on the chord strums, but to stay in time for the fast section, it might help to hear which notes line up with the drums and to try to use that as a reference to keep time. It also might help to try this at 75% speed, as it’s just hard to play with the tempo quite this slow. You’re doing great, keep it up…and nice shirt!

karenj – You’re doing great on this one! You have the notes down, now it’s just time to work out a few hesitations. Try playing this one slower at the start so that you can mentally prepare for the next shifts/sections ahead of time while playing. I suggest about 3/4 of your current speed would allow your hands to keep up and allow you to think ahead. You’ve got this, keep it up!

mac1984 – Excellent job on this! Your timing was very strong, and the notes were very clear! Just a tiny bit of work on making the ending feel a bit more natural, and you’ve got it! After getting that part, you can go back and add some dynamics (volume swells into and out of each phrase) and work on playing a tiny bit smoother and more connected. You’re doing a wonderful job, and you’ve got the hardest parts down!

timolnz – I really like the confidence you have in your playing. The strong strums and clear notes are great! Now it’s time to go back through and work on some of the rhythms. The intro has a slightly different rhythm, and there were a few spots around 18 seconds and 32 seconds into the piece that also have a slightly different rhythm. Once you fix those spots, then it’s just the rhythm at the ending. You’re doing great, keep it up!

emiliano – Very nicely played! You have a good feel all the way through the piece. I think you’re ready to add the triplet strums to the intro. Keep up the great work!

sylus9 – You’re doing great on the notes, now it’s time to go back and work on the rhythm a bit. If you can take it at an even slower tempo but keep the tempo consistent, that will help a lot. This is a hard song to work through, so just know that you are doing great. On the ending, it really helps to use multiple fingers on the fretting hand rather than trying to do all of that with just the pointer finger. You’re off to a great start, all of these things just take a lot of practice.

kelsey91 – You’re off to a great start! This one is quite tough…maybe the hardest song in this level on the site in many ways. You’re doing a great job of working through the song, so my main suggestion is just to strum the intro with a little more volume to give the song that rock attitude! Everything else will come with time. If your hands are tiring out, definitely take breaks at that point and stretch out your arms. It’s easy for the muscles to get tense, which can sometimes lead to injuries. Keep up the great work!

john316 – You’re off to a great start! It seems like there are a few sections that you are still working on memorizing, but you are getting there! Once you work out those hesitations, work on getting the tempo to be steady throughout the song. It might be easier to play the song at about 75% of this speed so that your mind can stay slightly ahead of where you are playing. Keep it up, you’re doing great!

ukealori – You’re doing great on the intro! Unfortunately, you are correct that we can’t give you an entry for the giveaway since you didn’t play the entire arrangement. Still, thank you for sharing, and your triplet strum sounds great!

bibilele
    Participant

Thanks a lot for your feedback, Stephen! This challenge really got me out of my comfort zone. And you are absolutely right – I just have to play it a hundred times more. But before I do that, I will start something new – probably Aloha Oe. 🙂

lisamcc
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback Stephen! I will work on my dynamics for sure.

qiuyan
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback Andrew! This is indeed one of the songs I had a little trouble remembering, even if it has only 2 pages of tabs…

robinboyd
    Participant

Congratulations @marianne 🙂

brithor
    Participant

Thank you Steven for the encouraging feed-back. Love the tune, will definitely continue to work on it. And, yeah, really happy with my tenor Snail!

marianne
    Participant

Thank you @robinboyd!! and thank you Rock Class 101 for an incredible platform. I am so excited! 😀

robinboyd
    Participant

Hey @marianne, I just realised that it was you who was saying they didn’t have a low G at the beginning of the month. You can play low G arrangements on the baritone, but they will be in a different key, which doesn’t matter as long as you aren’t playing with other people, so this worked out perfectly!

marianne
    Participant

Yeees @robinboyd 🙂 and thank you!!

Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.