June 1, 2021 at 11:17 am #47195
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #51! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a Baritone Ukulele! This model has been revamped for 2021 and retails at $1,400 USD.
I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 2,400+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. And I offer feedback on ALL submissions! 🙂
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 Rock Class 101 Lessons:
1) “Rock Around the Clock” by Bill Haley & His Comets * – Learn a high energy, fingerstyle take on a classic rock and roll song from the 50’s!
* Taught in its Entirety for FREE!
2) “Jailhouse Rock” by Elvis Presley * – Get ready to play along with a full band as you learn an iconic rock and roll song from the 50’s! Not only is it a blast to play, but it’s also a great entry into jamming with a band.
* If you choose this song, you have to perform to the backing track. The backing track requires premium membership to download. The backing track includes vocals, so no singing is required.
3) “Sleep Walk” by Santo & Johnny – A somber melody that serves as a perfect challenge for the intermediate fingerstyle player.
* REQUIRES LOW G UKULELE
4) “Johnny B. Goode” by Chuck Berry – The song that inspired millions of people to pick up a guitar! And wow, it sounds just as cool on ukulele! Who remembers that scene in Back to the Future, I mean how cool, right?
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or email me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner to Intermediate Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “Rock Around the Clock” OR “Jailhouse Rock”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at/or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Sleep Walk” OR “Johnny B. Goode”
3. Participation Goal: 75 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 RC101 pieces anytime between Tuesday, June 1st till Wednesday, June 30th, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our April Challenge: Heartwarming Songs.
Second Chance: Participate in our May Challenge: Classic Rock Songs.
Third Chance: Participate in our June Challenge: 50’s Rock Songs.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On July 4th at 12pm EST, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize. You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of June and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
1) $1,400 Grand Prize! Includes:
OUR 5 PREVIOUS KANILE’A WINNERS! WILL YOU BE NEXT?
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED!
Select Solid Koa Top
Solid South American Mahogany Back and Sides
Rosewood Finger-Board and Bridge
Pearl Position Dots
Pearl Kanile’a Logo Inlay on Headstock
Kanile’a Geared Tuners w/ Blk Buttons
UV Natural Finish
Made in Hawaii
Other Features: Includes a black hard foam case & L.R. Baggs FIVE.0 pickup
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!June 4, 2021 at 2:34 pm #47225mark1256Participant
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
SLEEPWALK – I love this song. I listened to the original several times before doing my recording and ended up making some changes. I sped up the tempo somewhat and added a few things in order to lengthen the song. Both the intro and outro are extended. Hope you don’t mind the modifications.June 5, 2021 at 12:29 pm #47227June 5, 2021 at 12:55 pm #47229
@mark1256 – Sounds awesome, Mark! I like the intro/outro and the changes you threw in there. You nailed the feel/vibe of the tune. Well done! At this point, I’d target your practice on the tricky transitions. That should iron out any gaps in timing.
@marianne – *EDIT* Whoops – I initially answered thinking of Jailhouse Rock. For Sleep Walk, I’d recommend using a low G. It’s going to sound off with high G.
June 5, 2021 at 12:58 pm #47230June 5, 2021 at 1:08 pm #47232mark1256Participant
- This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Andrew.
Thanks Andrew. I’ll keep at it.June 5, 2021 at 3:09 pm #47237June 5, 2021 at 4:24 pm #47238
Essentially, yes.June 6, 2021 at 3:23 pm #47246cinicholParticipant
Will it be possible to save this file with the accompanying players, just like other music files?June 6, 2021 at 3:53 pm #47247cinicholParticipant
Also, where is the Part 1 lesson for Jailhouse? Thanks!
Scratch that! Found it 🙄June 6, 2021 at 4:34 pm #47248June 7, 2021 at 11:10 pm #47283robinboydParticipant
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone. I did Sleepwalk a few years ago when it was one of the options and I thought I would revisit it. To be honest I don’t think I could do it much better than I did the first time. I was pretty happy with it. This time, the pacing is about the same, but I tried to add a bit of vibrato in a few places. Also, I’m using a different uke because I bought a new one and gave away the old one since the first video.
Please note, the last time this song was an option was for a Halloween challenge and there was an extra prize if you performed in the best costume (I didn’t have the best costume, though).
June 8, 2021 at 8:34 am #47286rickeymikeParticipant
Robin: I like that latest version. Got just a hint more of a somber feel.June 8, 2021 at 11:05 am #47287June 9, 2021 at 1:17 am #47291robinboydParticipant
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.