Participate in the October 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a CUSTOM Kanile’a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a CUSTOM Kanile’a!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 303 total)
  • Author
    johanna2509
    Participant

Thank you all for your kind words 🙂

@becky7777
    Resting the arm on the body of the uke works, like Andrew showed in the video. Now I need to get used to the new hand position ^^

@jinajupiter
    Didn’t think about that, but Luna fits indeed 🙂 I was searching for a tenor ukulele (budget about 300€) and I ordered the Flight Victoria CEQ. I’ve been waiting for almost a month now (there seems to be a high demand for that model) and I’m so excited!

becky7777
    Participant

Missed his planting of the arm stuff in the video. Yes. 😋 (I’m a certified pro at missing obvious things. Lol)

deadbuggy
    Participant

Andrew — I went back at Helen’s theme, Part B and I see what you mean about the counter bass notes. Here’s take 2 on a different uke — Jake Shimabukuro’s soprano with a concert size neck. I put a low G on it and found it soooo much easier to play down the dusty end of the fretboard than on my tenor. Many thanks!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@deadbuggy – That sounds better! But I would still work on getting it 100% accurate to the arrangement.

deadbuggy
    Participant

This is why you’re a great teacher — -keep pushing me!!! I may have to put this one aside for a while and come back to it. In the meantime, now that I’ve got a Low G uke that’s comfortable for me to play, I’ll be rooting through all those other Low G lessons 🙂
    Thanks again, Andrew!

cauer2

Hey Andrew,
    And hello to all of you guys getting started on this challenge. Im new to all of this techy stuff, as well as the ukulele. I started playing as a way to do some music lessons with my kids. So far, it’s been a lot of fun. Because im not the most tech savvy, I’m a little confused about the participation goal part. Are we supposed to upload 100 video/mp3 post as individual participants, or is that 100 member posts a cumulative sum for all members in the challenge? I’ve been enjoying the tutorials and the am out of information on the site seems really extensive; I haven’t really touched on all of it yet but I’m looking forward to getting through it. Anyway, good luck everyone and thanks, Andrew, for a great site to enjoy learning ukulele.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@cauer2 – Our participation goal is 100 folks. You only need to submit once 🙂

cauer2

Thanks for clearing that up👍

laurasil
    Participant

I’ll check out Matt’s lesson right now, thank you so much Andrew 🙂

becky7777
    Participant

Helen’s Theme is off the paper finally. (with picado) It’s a fun song. I added your (Andrew’s) slide from the end of theme 2 back to 1. (Because it’s fun, and sort of sounds “screamy?” since she’s losing a battle with her “dark side” or sanity or something, I watched that red organ video for a summery of the movie… Mostly did the slide because it’s fun though, and it was there, so why not.)

I was playing this on my soprano outside a little bit ago btw. The running out of frets discussion was on my mind. The note on the 14th fret was doable by using my nail on the string past the frets to get that note, but it was a train wreak trying to slide back down to the Am like that. If you don’t plan on doing the slide though, its not too bad. (Just thought this might help someone who may not try the song because they might only have 12 frets.) It could probably be handled a couple different ways, but that keeps the same note.

Need to record soon.

I’ll get the rest of the stuff I was supposed to record, recorded when I hook it all up again too hopefully. (Nothing exciting, but said I would. I haven’t improved much since the last time I recorded, but it will be interesting to compare this with Walking Dead from when I started.👍)

I have to find my Halloween costume too lol

ultramom
    Participant

Hi, I haven’t played for a few months and just picked up 2 days ago. I really like the song “the sound of silence” but just working on the first few bars only…

Andrew
    Keymaster

@ultramom – Great start! 🙂

peiching
    Participant

Hi
    I am a beginner and am participating in the monthly challenge for the first time. It is a great way to learn and to improve my playing. Thank you Rockclass101!!

Here is the link to my recording. I hope it works 🙂

rickeymike
    Participant

Peiching, I crown thee: non-beginner! Fantastic job!

Andrew
    Keymaster

peiching – Great playing! You have a very nice tone to your playing 🙂

I have two suggestions for you. First, for the fingerpicking section, work on increasing the tempo. Start with 5 or 10 BPM faster than what you are currently at. Overall, you played this section very well, so the challenge for you will be to push yourself to play it just a little bit faster.

Second, in the strumming sections, you speed up. But you only speed up when strumming, fingerpicking remains at the previous tempo. So I would practice this section at your current tempo, but play along to a metronome. That will help keep you in time.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 303 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.