Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    cauer2

Hey, kittycatlin,
    My daughters loved your uke. Nice job on the etude.

cauer2

Hey gstriph,
    I notice that its tough to change even the slightest things in playing style. When I had first learned this piece, I had been lifting my fingers on the left hand too high and unnecessarily. When I tried to change it to keeping them more stationary, it took a few days to get it settled. I still feel like I have to force myself to keep them steady; I’m pretty sure that is why I was was too fast in my submission. Nice job and nice uke. I like the abalone on a uke, it gives it a really nice touch.

debb1985

Thanks Chris! It felt easier to play with less wrist motion too. I love my Pono as well 🙂 You did a great job on your Etude – nerves are the worst and I have to work hard to slow myself down on some songs as well.

Brett – loved hearing it on your nicely decorated Baritone!

Everyone is doing such a great job!

jedart
    Participant

This is a bit better than my upload from last weekend.

gstriph
    Participant

cauer2/chris: Thanks for the kind words – I clearly need to speed up and emphasize the triplet beat like you did – great job!

I may have overdone some of the trim (LOL) but it was my one chance to work with a luthier and I wanted to learn how to do everything (multilevel bindings, rosettes, inlays) before I tried to do this on my own. Thanks for your comments!

Jerry

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by gstriph.
    bklynsoul
    Participant

I’m a PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi,

So that’s how it works! I really wanted to play ‘Out In The North‘ for the challenge a few months back but could not figure out how to play it even with the vid tutorial. The Triplet Strum course puts it in reach. But first, baby steps with the Etude.

I do have to work on keeping my strum hand from sliding back to the sound hole.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by bklynsoul.
    Steven
    Participant

Here’s everyone on page 4.

mennloo – Well done for taking this at a pace you are comfortable with. Your timing and rhythm are spot on as a result. You have nailed the ‘index down, thumb down, index up’ sequence but your thumb and forefinger look a little stiff and most of the movement is coming from your wrist. If you can concentrate on keeping the wrist still and extending your forefinger more across the strings you will be able to achieve a more fluid sound. Keep up the great work though!

cncamacho – Good job, especially the B melody section – this sounds very smooth and fluid. The A melody section sounds a little less smooth but you have done well not to try and play this too fast. I would love to have been able to see your technique but from just the sound sample I think you’re definitely heading in the right direction with this.

robinl – I really like the rhythm and tempo you have achieved with this performance. Your accuracy is impressive given the speed you are able to play this at. With only posting a sound recording it’s difficult to comment on your technique. Some of the notes, especially in the A melody section, have a bit of a staccato sound to them so you could try a slightly lighter attack with your picking to try and just brush the strings with your fingers. This will help the notes sustain a bit more a produce a more fluid sound. Excellent work though 😊

ukesilver – Looks like you’ve already given yourself feedback on this one😉. In terms of technique you are right about the wrist strum. It’s really difficult to keep the wrist still and force all of the movement solely from the thumb and forefinger. It feels really foreign at first but this is where the magic of the technique really comes from. Having said that I think you have managed to achieve a really smooth & fluid sound, despite using more of a strum approach so well done overall on your performance – it really does sound excellent!

marianne – Wow, amazing performance and really impressive technique! You have nailed the index finger flick and you look really comfortable using this technique. I can see how relaxed your right hand is and this has allowed you to achieve a really smooth, fluid sound. Your right-hand attack is just perfect too – awesome job 😊

jedart – Well done for challenging yourself with a technique you don’t feel comfortable with. It’s good to keep pushing ourselves out of our comfort zone! I’m pleased you took this one slow as it’s helped you play it nice and cleanly. You have got the ‘index down, thumb down, index up’ sequence sorted so this is half the battle. Your next step is to try and keep your wrist still and allow more of the movement to come from the thumb and forefinger. I’d recommend having a look at the triple picking lesson (in the triplet strum magic course) and practice this technique just on the open E string for now. Force yourself to keep the wrist still and just extend the index finger across the string, followed by the thumb, then reverse the index finger motion to achieve the final ‘up’ pick. Once you can do this comfortably try applying the technique just to the first measure of the etude and build up from there.

lisadmh – It is a really tricky technique but I think you’ve done a great job. It sounds pretty clean to me and has really good rhythm and flow. I absolutely LOVE your little additions too – they sound awesome! Your technique is good and it looks really comfortable for you. To perfect it even more I’d suggest trying to reduce your up/down wrist movement and try extending your index finger more across the strings. This will be easier if you bring your hand up to a slightly more ‘parallel to the strings’ position. Keep up the great work though 😊

debb1985 – I noticed you have re-posted your performance so I won’t comment on this video and tell you what you already know 😉. I’ll leave you feedback on your second performance.

wongbrown

I am a Premium Member.

I am submitting the Triple Strum Etude also. I found it challenging with the tempo required for this Etude. I guess more practice is the answer. Thank you for the feedback.

Best regards.

lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback Steven. I’m glad you liked my little additions. 🙂 I will work on my form.

marianne
    Participant

Thanks a lot Steven! this technique was really fun to learn and feels really powerful.

rockmyuke
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi Everyone
    Here is my submission for October. Although I tried to concentrate on using a finger flick instead of a wrist strum, I was obviously unsuccessful with that when I recorded the tune.

I’ve certainly enjoyed listening to everybody’s playing!
    Dennis

oldan_
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

Hello Rockclass,

I finally managed to get the video posted, I tried to keep the video on the right hand too.

Anyhow, this has been a real struggle for me, very very difficult, especially since my normal triplet strum is the index-down, thumb-up, index-up approach.

Anyhow, I love St. Annes Reel and Out in the North, so this will put those in reach with lots of practice.

I appreciate the feedback, and of course the chance for the uke 🙂 It seems to me that this comes easier to some than others 😀 I am definitely amont the others.

Daniel

mennloo
    Participant

Thank you, Steven! Will work on it! -mennloo

oldan_
    Participant

Lisa,

You additions where really cool, enjoyed them. I stumbled on some myself while practicing, tho not as nice as yours.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by oldan_.
    katazumiri
    Participant

Hello everyone!

Here is my “Triple Strum Etude”:

Have a nice day!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.