Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2020 Member Challenge – WIN the Islands Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    whollyprofit
    Participant

Sure, Andrew. I sent you something. Thanks for giving it a look.

nthibode

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the fun course, Steven! You make a great addition to the Rock Class 101 team. Here is my recording of St. Anne’s Reel.

debb1985

Thanks Steven for the feedback! I will definitely work on that 🙂

Steven
    Participant

Here’s everyone on page 7:

bdenham14 – congratulations on your first entry! You’ve done a great job with this. Your thumb and index finger movements are really controlled and you’ve nailed that index finger flick – so much so that you could probably reduce your wrist movement even more, especially on the B melody section. You’re definitely a natural triple picker 😊

lissid – well done, this is really excellent. I can see you have really concentrated on your triple picking form. The wrist is lovely and still, with a slight twisting motion and that index finger flick is doing all the work – just perfect 😊. Are you aware in the A melody section you do a double ‘up pick/pinch’ instead of the index down strum in a couple of places? This looks even harder than just doing an index down strum 😉

newber – this sounds really good. I like the speed you’re playing it at and your triple picking is nice and clean. These two things combine to produce a really nice, smooth and fluid sound. In terms of the technique you could work on trying to reduce the up/down movements from the elbow and wrist. I also noticed your index finger stays quite bent throughout. If you flick the index finger out across the strings you will need to rely less on the elbow and wrist. Whilst its not too much of a problem for this piece if you wanted to apply this technique to harder pieces such as Out in the North a more stationary wrist position will be a big help.

lyndallk – I really enjoyed this 😊. Well done for taking it a bit slower. By doing that you’ve been able to keep a nice consistent rhythm and I’m really hearing that rhythmic back beat coming through on beats 2 and 4. There are some real finger twister sections in this piece too and you’ve handled them well. I arranged the piece and it still took me while to get to grips with some of it! I hope you had fun learning this new technique. Keep up the great work!

gmflin8 – nicely done, I think you’re progressing nicely with this technique. It’s so foreign to how we usually play that it really does take some getting used to – I certainly found that too! I like how controlled your wrist is in the A melody section. Your index finger flicks out nicely, allowing you to keep the wrist nice and still. In the B melody section try not to be tempted to revert to traditional strumming for the chords on beat 1. You should still be able to achieve the desired sound with the index flick. Also, in the B melody section the chords are repeated for two measures, not one as you played them here – it just flows a bit better this way. Keep up the good work though, I like what you’re doing.

pippin105 – you’re doing really well with this, especially for a beginner! Don’t worry about speed. It’s much better to take it slow and play it consistently and accurately than try to play too fast at the expense of quality. You have a really strong basis here for slowly building up speed. To be honest, trying to go too fast is the biggest mistake most people make when learning an instrument so well done for not doing that. Your triple picking is looking good. You’ve got the sequence down and you’re hitting the notes nice and cleanly. To improve on your technique even further I’d suggest a slightly lighter attack with your picking and try bending your wrist so your hand is more parallel to the strings. This will feel strange at first but it really is the key to the whole technique.

rucha11 – this sounds good 😊. Good speed and nice consistent rhythm. You could try to get the single picked notes to ring out a little more. They have a bit of a staccato sound in some places. This will just help it sound a bit more fluid. I’d love to have seen your technique but from the sound recording it definitely sounds like you’re progressing well with this.

lhamilton – this is a really tricky piece so well done for challenging yourself! I arranged it and I still struggle to play it well if I haven’t been practicing it! I think you’re progressing brilliantly with this piece. You are using the triple technique well and I can really hear those index down strums on beats 2 and 4, creating that all important back beat. There are a couple of sections that could sound a bit cleaner, such as the end of the A melody section for example (this is a real finger twister though!) but I really think it’s just a matter of practice and you’ll get there. From what I’m seeing you’re doing everything right – great work 😊

tsetsova – well, based on the context I’m blown away by your performance! To have only been playing since August you should be very proud of what you have achieved. I can clearly see you have paid close attention to the lesson and concentrated on your right-hand technique. Your parallel wrist position and triple picking technique are both truly excellent. Perhaps being a beginner was an advantage to you as you haven’t had to ‘un-learn’ your already embedded right hand technique like a lot of other people trying this technique. Either way, you have absolutely smashed it! Your right-hand dexterity and attack are consistent with that of a much more experienced player! Well done 😊

sdorunga – so, pretty much everything I’ve just written about tsetsova’s performance (feedback above) applies to your performance too. It’s hard to believe you’ve only been playing for two months. You have a wonderfully light attack and impressive finger dexterity that usually only comes with experience. The only small thing I would suggest is perhaps slowing it down slightly to help the co-ordination between your right and left hand. Great work though – well done 😊

laurakarr12
    Participant

I am a PRIME MEMBER!
    For fun, I decided to give myself only 3 days to learn & practice the “Triple Strum Challenge”! No matter how far along I got on it, I was going to record it… for better or worse, here it is.
    Triple Strum Etude-“Melodic Etude”

ccwuke
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here my attempt at the Triple Strum Etude. Another great technique for me to work on. Thanks for a great course!

Chris

qiuyan
    Participant

PLEASE DO NOT ADD THIS POST TO THE RAFFLE, because I already had entries for the Etude posted earlier.

Finally learned St. Anne’s Reel too. Still a few notes not ringing well – I think it’s my left hand transition and my right hand pluck/strum not in sync and need more practice – but that’s my best take so far.

rucha11

@Steven Thanks! I tried recording but the sound quality takes a toll .I will try figuring something out asap.

goody2shoes
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER!

Hey everybody. I made the mistake last challenge of biting off more than I could chew and trying the advanced piece, and didn’t manage to get it polished within the month, and I felt the same thing was likely this month (busy days!), so as much as I wanted to try the Reel, I ended up doing the Etude.

Here’s my submission 🙂

cheers

tsetsova

Thanks @Steven! That’s super kind feedback and really good to hear! Loved the course, it was really well broken down and easy to follow, especially with such a tricky technique. I can’t wait to start learning the next songs 🙂

rockmyuke
    Participant

Steven,
    Thanks for the feedback. I will pick up my uke right now and practice what you suggested!
    Dennis

whollyprofit
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER!

Well, here it is at half speed with some flubs included. After days of trying and failing at the first couple of bars I was ready to give up. Thanks for the tips Andrew, they clearly worked. Also, I feel I owe Steven an apology for my first comment. I was frustrated and spoke harshly. After a couple of tips I went back through your instruction and it finally clicked. Steven, you are a great instructor and I’m looking forward to some more lessons. 🙂 Thanks again everyone!

Anyway, here is my attempt (don’t worry, I’ll keep working on it):

sdorunga
    Participant

Thanks @Steven I really appreciate the feedback, it’s so kind. It 100% really helped that you went through all the details in the video lesson of what to look out for on each bar and how to execute the trickier bits.

You’re very right about the left-right hand coordination, I’ve also noticed it recently and have been trying to fix it. The funny thing about it is that it’s just about as bad when I’m going slow as it is when I’m going fast. That’s basically why I didn’t slow down for the recording. Is there anything specific I can do to train the coordination more – is there any exercises on the website for example or something else you would recommend? Or do you reckon if I just keep trying to play slower that would give my brain more of a chance to notice it and slowly improve?

Thanks again for the course, I really enjoyed all of it!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@sdorunga – your coordination looks good! I think what you’re getting at is “comfort” or natural flow. That takes time. Keep doing what you’re doing – continue to learn, it’s working! 🙂

mark1256
    Participant

whollyprofit Sounds like you are on your way. Just wanted you to know that I had a similar experience but after slowly going back through the lesson it all clicked. I can now play it up to speed (except when I am trying to record myself 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.